hey i was wondering if anyone could give me like a list of what kinds of wood are good for guitars and which ones aren't very good. maybe something like this:

1 -
2 -
3 -
4 -
5 -
etc.

where 1 is the best kind of wood and whatever's at the bottom would be the worst. well, that might be a lot of work, but any help would be appreciated.

also, would it be the same for basses?
Quote by lefty_strat_str
Only buy guitars that have had their wood harvested from the north side of the tree, during the summer solstice, by virgin druids suffering from dwarfism. Next stupid question, please.
The favourites: alder (think bright strat sound), mahogany (think warm les paul sound), basswood (a kind of midsy sweet sound, check out a lot of Ibanezes stuff), ash (great wood in general, rather bright but has got a tight bottom end)

occasionaly you might find something more exoctic like koa or korina (both of these 2 are rather mahogany-like), walnut...
the bassists usually like to have a lot of them

there is no "best" one, its up to preference really (there are only bad ones that are not good for use in guitars...stuff like oak and spruce....plywood...though the rules are different for acoustic guitars so you might see some spruce used there for example)

heres a quick rundown of most of them:
http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/options/options_bodywoods.cfm

and for neck woods:
http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=guitar_neckwoods
Last edited by seljer at Jun 21, 2006,
thanks a lot seljer.

one more question, so would a bass made out of basswood be good?
Quote by lefty_strat_str
Only buy guitars that have had their wood harvested from the north side of the tree, during the summer solstice, by virgin druids suffering from dwarfism. Next stupid question, please.
Quote by bbsbass
thanks a lot seljer.

one more question, so would a bass made out of basswood be good?

It'd work well enough for bass (Ibanez have a couple of basswood basses) though the majority of basses I see are still mahogany, alder or ash.

The only things you have to watch out for the poor woods used in cheaper guitars (agathis mainly)
Also what about poplar?
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Jun 21, 2006,
Ya typed too fast. I saw some MIM telecasters made out of that.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
there were a lot of poplar strats for a while there. depends on the factory where they were made and the availability of the wood.

alot of times, ull see poplar listed on the strat decript when actually, they're shipping out an alder strat.

i dont like poplar near as much, but its all preference. to know what ur getting u should call the company before ordering.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I don't think they make guitars out of bubinga, but it sure is sexy as a top.
yeah

just the worst

plywood
agathis

never get a guitar made of either of those woods
Gear:
PRS Custom SE
Shit Strat
line6 spider II 112 (worst choice of my life)
Squier 10 watt (sounds better than the spider)
Digitech rp200
Rocktron Silver Dragon

Quote by FretboardToAsh
he's right, and he plays prs so that's proof.
Quote by goodbydresden
1. = Spruce, purely because of its long life and ageing qualities

2. = ALder

I don't think spruce would be all that great for an entire guitar. Swamp ash is my favorite, or mahogany. The only ones you absolutely can't use are soft woods from pine trees.
Hi, I'm Peter