I'm not a guitar beginner. However, I've mostly been playing hard blues-rock from the likes of Clapton to Hendrix to Iommi. It is just recently that I've been getting more and more interested in the metal stylings of Randy Rhoads and Eddie Van Halen. Sadly, however, I can not find any good resources on Right Hand Tapping.

I do know that it is merely hammering on and pulling off notes with the opposite hand to create a faster sound with many more possibilities, but for some reason I just can't get it right. Whenever I give a crack at the Crazy Train solo to attempt to get it right, the tapping parts make a weak, frail sound which can barely even be heard compared to rest where I pick the notes.

My question is, what is the right way to do it? Is there some special way to approach the strings, such as with a certain amount of force or a certain angle? Or is it my equipment? I admit, it's pretty basic: An epiphone special SG with a Danelectro pedal with a fender reverb 20 amp. However, even when I'm using any other gear, it's still just the same.
I was able to do it on a squier with sp-10 amp, so its not your gear. You just have to build up finger strength, start out with something basic like the eruption solo and work your way up. Trust me, Crazy Train is NOT a good starting solo.
Dickless.
Yea its not ur equipment, with ur left hand do the hammer on pull ons like you would normally do. With ur right hand use ur middle finger to tap the notes, but when u tap down make sure ur pulling off a bit so that it rings out the notes being held down with the left hand. Thats pritty much it or atleast how i do it and sounds good for me. Other then that its just like metal said u have to build up the finger strength
^ Why is it not a good starting solo?
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
The tapping part of crazy train is actually pritty easy and if your focusing just on tapping it is a good pattern to practice as an excercise.
the solo in crazy train is much easier than eruption. when tapping with your right hand you need to make sure that your pulling off towards the floor so that the string rings out. it just takes practice. another tip is to try tapping with your pick, this will def. give you volume, and its easier than tapping with your fingers. however, i think the tone is better when tapping with your fingers, so experiment and see what you like.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
I was able to do it on a squier with sp-10 amp, so its not your gear. You just have to build up finger strength, start out with something basic like the eruption solo and work your way up. Trust me, Crazy Train is NOT a good starting solo.

Crazy Train is amazingly simple. I haven't approached Eruption yet but I seriously doubt that it is more basic than Crazy Train.