I just started playing guitar. I am no professional at this but, can anybody tell me the name of these chords below?

E}--------0----------------0--------}
B}--------0----------------0--------}
G}--------8----------------6--------}
D}--------9----------------7--------}
A}--------9----------------7--------}
E}--------0----------------0--------}
well i don't know exactly what the names of the chords would be technically... but that first one is similar to a B major and the second one is like an A major. they are major barre chords but missing the root notes and whatever the flip the note on the B string would be in the chord... i'm no theory buff
Quote by jimtaka
well i don't know exactly what the names of the chords would be technically... but that first one is similar to a B major and the second one is like an A major. they are major barre chords but missing the root notes and whatever the flip the note on the B string would be in the chord... i'm no theory buff

He's right. But those type of barre chords can go almost anywhere. For example

|--0----0----0-----0------0-----|
|--0----0----0-----0------0-----|
|--3----4----6-----8-----11-----|
|--4----5----7-----9-----12-----|
|--4----5----7-----9-----12-----|
|--2----3----5-----7-----9------|

The first one's an F#, second one's a G Major, the third and fourth are the ones you have, and the fifth one is D Major I think. I like those chords.
Mmmmm... your mom
^-- actually they CAN go ANYWHERE. that is the sixth string root major barre chord fingering... minus the root note on the high E string and the note on the B string. the only difference in the chords sexy listed and the chords the threadstarter listed is that sexy threw in the root note for the chord on the low E string. the last chord you listed isn't a D major though. i think you just made a typo on the root note and put a 9 instead of a 10... but just in case... that is actually more like a D/C# chord.

EDIT: oh and if you like those major chords with the first two strings open... check out rooster by alice in chains. should be right up your alley
Last edited by jimtaka at Jun 21, 2006,
^--- SD??? obviously...

anyway thanks for the help. what's the deal with the new user name? cas screwing around?
Quote by jimtaka
^-- maybe i'm just retarded, but i failed to find that helpful

Jim, click on chord calculator on the left side of the screen. That would be a little more helpful. Sorry for not adding that earlier.
^-- actually i saw that and it is definitely pretty handy, i just didn't think it was helpful in this particular situation. there's probably like a reverse chord lookup thingy on some webpage though where you could enter in like 098800 and it would spit out Badd11/E.
Yea, it has that on there also. Its the chord namer. All you do is click on the fret for each string. That is what you are looking for, no?
wouldnt that 2nd chord be an E something? (sus4add6 or something i guess)

it has 3 E's in there, and only one A, i dont see how A gets the Root. And i know lowest notes dont always get the root, but come on! the 2 lowest notes lol!!
Quote by mangablade
wouldnt that 2nd chord be an E something? (sus4add6 or something i guess)

it has 3 E's in there, and only one A, i dont see how A gets the Root. And i know lowest notes dont always get the root, but come on! the 2 lowest notes lol!!

I actually thought it was an Esus4add6 myself... hmmm.

EDIT: i wonder what the odds of SD coming back and explaining this are.
Last edited by jimtaka at Jun 23, 2006,