Well, my birthday's coming up (5 months actually) and I've decided to get a new bass guitar, but, I am having major troubles in choosing one.

That's why I've come here to ask for help and here's basically what I need...

• A 4 string (but I wouldn't say no to 5).
  • Punchy and powerful but has lots of tone.
  • Versatility - I play loads of styles but mainly punk/funk.
  • Reliability, I would seriously hate it if I had to take it back.
  • Good pickups with tons of tone.

I have a budget of around US$1100 or around 900Euros.

I also would like to play a Fender but I'm fairly open about it.

Thanks.
Woah, that's well cheap. I've just looked at a couple of reviews and they say that sometimes the picks ups buzz. But in one review:

When I learned more about bass, I realized that this bass had horrible fret buzz, buzzing issues, warped neck, and scratchy pots.

Okay, that's really put me off, I guess I could change the set and things to eliminate these problems and I think this is about teh 100th time I've read about warped necks from Ibanez. I'll still try it in a store though.

I'm going into a few music shops on Saturday and I think I'll try everyone you guys can come up with. So please give me more!!

I thought of a Fender Aerodyne Jazz, I've heard good things about MIJ Fenders and PJ Pickups would really suit me.
fender american jazz
aerodyne would be good too.
Music is a language. Learn it well before you use it or you'll just sound stupid.
Thanks for the suggestions but unfortunatly I will be having to pay extortionate British prices.

Which means a $1130 Stingray is about £1299 But if i ordered from the US it would be a lot cheaper so...

Does anyone reconmend importing a guitar and getting it labelled as a gift so there's no duty?
well if you are into fenders i dunno but just to throw in an interesting suggestion get a Rickenbacker they own my life
Only 3 months to decide now...

I say you're extremely lucky if you're parents will buy you a bass for your birthday.
Tbh I'd just be happy with any Bass, I have a guitar but I never play it because I'm crap at it and it would be more loved if someone else had it.

Want it? Haha.
It's green!

Kate.
xxx
Schecters are great, they have great tone and are not that expensive.
Holiday, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams And American Idiot's Solos!!!! Those Are Soooo Good!!!
greenday1182
Quote by riekes

/\ second that, it sounds like the ideal bass for your needs. and you say the cash is a problem, maybe you can convince your parents to make it a joint venture, you throw in most of the cash, they cover the rest of it for your birthday, 60/40 maybe? 70/30 even?

if not, conklin gt4 or 5.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Rickenbacker 4003!!! or if you can find one a 4001 but they dont make them anymore
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
dude get an ibanez edb-405
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Inanez SRX505. The SR505 is good too, but i prefer the wider string spacing of the SRX. The SR feels too crammed to me, that's just my opinion though. Try them both out.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.