hey i dont know if his is the corrct place to post this but what sort of gear (on a budget) should i use to get a smooth hetfield-like distortion? what sort of amps and pedals?

ESP Explorer with EMGs and a Mesa.
Kein Engel kommt um euch zu rächen...

Quote by Spynal
I think I speak for the entire metal forum when I say it is an absolute HONOR to have you on these forums Mr. Vikernes.
argh, guitar gear and accessories. there is an only metallica thread and only thrash thread as well, but you didnt look.
Read my post. Not this.
they used to use marshalls, but he and kirk now use mesa/boogie amps with either jackson, esp or gibson guitars
to get james' sound: ESP or Gibson Explorer thru a Mesa/Boogie amp

either way its expensive
-Fender 60 Powerhouse Custom
-Epiphone SG-400 (broken )
-Marshall MG50wDFX
-Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
-Squier Stratocaster Bass
-FenderSquier BP 15w
-Yamaha Classical Acoustic Guitar
^He hasnt used a marshall since the freakin' eighties. Mesa duel rectifier is what he uses mainly. He doesnt use any pedals at all to my knowledge.