Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but I'm wondering, does cranking your amp actually make it sound better? Or is it just Psycological because of the volume? I Have a tube amp, it's relitivley new in terms of the history of amps (1997 i belive) and I have tried cranking it and puting an attentuator in the FX loop so it wouldn't be as loud and it really just sounded like a waste of tube life. Will actually cranking the voulme with the preamp on full actually make it sound better?
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Fine then but how does it sound better?
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Cranking it just pushes the tubes into distortion. You get a slight overdrive that sounds good. Depending on how much head room your amp has, you may have to push the volume harder to achieve natural tube distortion.
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
does that apply to cranking the master volume control?
EH

yes...but preampo plays a role in all this too

if you turn the preamp all the way up and the power tubes way down it sounds good too
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
That's exactly what i do.

I suppose I should just shut-up and crank so I can see for myself.
EH

Last edited by eddiehimself at Jun 21, 2006,
yup^^
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
It sounds good because of the soundwaves that are produced. First, a cranked amp produces harmonics that are perceived as louder to the human ear than those produced by a solid state amp. This is where we get the "a tube amp is 20,000,000 times louder than a solid state of the same wattage" rule. Second, a tube amp produces very round, pleasant sine waves at full volume, which are more pleasant to the human ear than the square waves produced by a clipping solid state amp.
Hi, I'm Peter
I would suggest wearing ear plugs when you crank you amp . What type of amp is it? And as a general rule the louder you have the amp overall, the better it will sound (turn up the pre-amp AND the power amp).
why would you put an attenuator in the fx loop? is it one of those fake "attenuators" that go on ebay for about $10?

also, it depends on your amp (what do you have, by the way?). An odd tube amp, so i've heard, can sound like crap at full volume. Most sound awesome though. You get increased warmth, and power tube distortion. To hear this, set up a clean tone at normal low volume. Then crank the volume (not the gain) as high as it'll go. That'll get you power-tube distortion.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ yeah, but that'll do jack shit surely?

I mean, the whole point of an attenuator is to convert a lot of the power going to the speakers to heat (as far as I know) so that you're running the amp flat out, but just not getting the volume. In the fx loop, it'll just act a bit like a master volume (if it even works at all) surely?

I'm willing to admit I'm wrong on this, but I don't think I am...

eddie: Take the attenuator out of the loop. buy some attenuating earplugs. get everyone else out of the house (or building, if you're in a flat, lol) turn the amp up FULL. tell us what it sounds like.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Right. It would do absolutely nothing. The only other way to get an attenuator-like effect would to put a volume pedal before the amp itself, crank the amp, and then use the volume pedal as a master volume.
Hi, I'm Peter
^ yeah, but if you do that, you'll only have the full-power awesomeness at full volume anyway...

hm.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
is it better to get an amp with lower wattage so you can get that overdrive at lower volumes?
^depends on your needs but yes that will work....then again you could splurg and get a mesa that can let you play at 50w, 100w, and 150w, depending on how loud you want it!
Quote by Gibson_Left
^depends on your needs but yes that will work....then again you could splurg and get a mesa that can let you play at 50w, 100w, and 150w, depending on how loud you want it!

...all of which are still waaaay too loud.
a lot of people say "xx amount of watts are way too loud" but I've demo'd amps at the store and none of em seem way too loud to me
^They are too loud. That's why THD makes millions on attenuators. Maybe you like cleaner sounds so saturation isn't an issue, but any tube amp over 15 watts will get very very loud when cranked into power amp saturation. Things are different at the store than where you practice, too.
^^ did you try them up full, though?

you can set an all-tube 120 watt halfstack to a low enough level to practice at home. I know, because I do this. But it sounds a hell of a lot better on 10. which is the kind of loudness where I'm wearing earplugs, the walls are shaking and the speakers are moving so much air that it feels like someone is punching you in the chest.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Is it possible just to put smaller power tubes in an amp, and therefore the tubes get saturated at lower wattages? or would that be kinda freaky if you had an accident with the volume knob?
^ you'd need to do some modding. you can sometimes pull out some of the power-tubes (if the amp has 4) to lower the volume a little, but it'd still be really loud.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?