I hear its not good to play EMG's through a solid state amp, so i need a tube amp with lots of gain. I play mostly metal, so i need something that can do Pantera, Obituary, Deicide sounding distortion but is versatile as well. Preferably with some effects in it. $300-400 price range. and no Vox's....

also does it sound ok to use distortion boxes and pedals with tube amps?
GEAR:
Washburn x10 "Washy"
Ibanez S470DXQM "Kimberly"
BC Rich NJ strat "Sydney"
Roland Cube 60
Vox V847
Boss OD1
Boss CE2
Digitech Death Metal
Russian Big Muff PI
DOD Deth Metal
Ibanez SM9
Just get different pickups instead of EMG's and keep whatever solid state you have
You are not going to get a decent high gain tube amp at all for that price...
From what you said, I'd say a Mesa Dual Rect................and you don't want built in effects (other than reverb and maybe tremolo if it were an older amp)
Quote by Gutch220
From what you said, I'd say a Mesa Dual Rect................and you don't want built in effects (other than reverb and maybe tremolo if it were an older amp)

Did you not look at his price range?
Quote by Gutch220

If you've found a Dual Recto for $300-400, please direct me to this.
Quote by Striketalonx
Did you not look at his price range?

yes, I just assumed since he was looking for the best high gain tube amp for himself, that $300-400 wasn't going to cut it. If you go by that price range, this thread is useless
the mesa's ONLY good for metal anyway.
GEAR:
Washburn x10 "Washy"
Roland Cube 60
Vox V847
Boss OD1
Boss CE2
Digitech Death Metal
Russian Big Muff PI
DOD Deth Metal
Ibanez SM9
Quote by MorbidAngel333
the mesa's ONLY good for metal anyway.

They have more to offer than just the Recto series.

Look at the Mark IV, Lone Stars, Stilletos, Roadkings, and Roadsters.
And Rectos are proven to be very versatile.
Am I the only one who's sick of seeing 'The Best _____' thread when in actuality the threadstarter has a couple hundred bucks at best? If you can *actually* afford the best, then you can put it in your thread title. If not, say something else.
/rant.
Rectos seem nice but theres like a 1000 dollar price difference. Its not like im being stingy, i just don't have that kind of money for an amp...
GEAR:
Washburn x10 "Washy"
Roland Cube 60
Vox V847
Boss OD1
Boss CE2
Digitech Death Metal
Russian Big Muff PI
DOD Deth Metal
Ibanez SM9
used peavey 5150 combos have been going for $400-$600 as of late. best you're gonna get for a high gain amp around that much.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
what about Randalls?
GEAR:
Washburn x10 "Washy"
Roland Cube 60
Vox V847
Boss OD1
Boss CE2
Digitech Death Metal
Russian Big Muff PI
DOD Deth Metal
Ibanez SM9
Most aren't tube. And frankly there's not much wrong with playing EMGs through a solid state, I was playing an EC-1000 through a Spider II 2x12 and it sounded pretty kickass (the highgain tone on like Insane or whatever it was.) It's not like a "sin" to do that, sometimes it might sound a little funky, but EMGs aren't that different from regular pickups, if anything, in my opinion, better. Wider frequency response, clearer, sharper attack (and if you like that hint: don't buy a tone zone) and they have a great EQ balance, lots of bass, but still lots of highs, and just enough mids (although depending on the pickup, IE 85 in my experience has a "mid bump".)
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
What the hell is wrong with playing EMGs through an SS amp?

Sheesh, the amount of garbage that goes around this forum...
One day, i'll buy a Recto. Until that day comes, i will probably just go with a Roland Cube 60.
GEAR:
Washburn x10 "Washy"
Roland Cube 60
Vox V847
Boss OD1
Boss CE2
Digitech Death Metal
Russian Big Muff PI
DOD Deth Metal
Ibanez SM9
You'll be hard pressed to find a decent tube amp for that price. I recently found a JCM 900 for $550 but it sold before I could call (craigslist).

I would say to check out ebay for something like a 5150/6505. You can get an Ashdown Fallen Angel for around $600 at Musicians Friend (financing available).
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Quote by electrik
What the hell is wrong with playing EMGs through an SS amp?

Sheesh, the amount of garbage that goes around this forum...

there's nothing wrong with it. It just won't sound as good as it will with tube amps (which is similar to any pickup, really).

and you might get some SS clipping, since the EMG's are so high gain... which kinda sounds crappy IMO...

oh, and don't bad mouth these forums, you might get into trouble...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
there's nothing wrong with it. It just won't sound as good as it will with tube amps (which is similar to any pickup, really).

and you might get some SS clipping, since the EMG's are so high gain... which kinda sounds crappy IMO...

oh, and don't bad mouth these forums, you might get into trouble...

+1

Isn't half the point of getting EMG's to have a massive output and thus getting more distortion from your tubes ...
^ yes.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^

PEAVEY 5150 COMBO OFF EBAY. YOU CAN AFFORD IT.

like i said i say one go for $405 yesterday. didn't look like there was anything wrong with it and it came with a free case.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by Striketalonx
+1

Isn't half the point of getting EMG's to have a massive output and thus getting more distortion from your tubes ...

No. Its just like giving like your preamp a bit more gain. It has nothing to do with POWER tube saturation.
Quote by electrik
No. Its just like giving like your preamp a bit more gain. It has nothing to do with POWER tube saturation.

So, what about pre-amp tube saturation???
What about it? With your logic, EMGs would sound godly in an AVT but terrible on an Ampeg VH140c.
Quote by electrik
What about it? With your logic, EMGs would sound godly in an AVT but terrible on an Ampeg VH140c.

Hmm
True,
But EMG's = Higher Output
which means that you get a hotter signal
which in term means that you would get "more" distortion/drive
Right?

Gah.
I'm terribly confused now
Quote by Striketalonx
Hmm
True,
But EMG's = Higher Output
which means that you get a hotter signal
which in term means that you would get "more" distortion/drive
Right?

Gah.
I'm terribly confused now

Yeah, excactly. But theres no downfall of running them into an SS amp, except of course it would sound better into a better tube amp, just because its a better amp altogether.
Quote by electrik
Yeah, excactly. But theres no downfall of running them into an SS amp, except of course it would sound better into a better tube amp, just because its a better amp altogether.

But since its hotter, wouldn't the SS preamp react differently (since the pickups are so hot), and thus, isn't it possible that it's tone turns to crap?
I don't really get what you're saying at all. And EMGs aren't like UbeZoMghOtTZxxxoRORz. Sure they're hot, but there are some passives that are even more, although you can't really compare active and passive because technically by ohms passives are hotter bla bla bla.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
Quote by electrik

he didn't say POWER tube, he said "tubes". I assumed he meant pre.

And AFAIK, the entire preamp in the AVT isn't valve based, it just has one valve. I don't think you'd get that much distortion with only one gain stage... Also, there's a HELL of a lot of difference between the responsiveness of my engl (all-tube) to my pickups compared with the AVT.

but yeah, the basic gist is, they'll sound better with a tube amp. And as you've said (and I have too) that's mainly because it's just a better amp.

But there is some truth to the matter that EMG's can sound harsh with a SS amp. SS clipping is very harsh, and EMG's accentuate this, as they're pretty hot...

we're basically saying the same thing, just in a different way... yeah, it's bollocks that EMG's won't work with SS amps or any of that guff.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^^ had a jam today. 2 guitars both with mahogany body with EMGs but one through a tube and another a solid. Solid was raspy and too punchy while the tube was smooth and full of meat.
My gear:

Gibson Gothic Flying V
Engl Screamer Combo
Maxon OD-9
Squier 10w amp
[quote="the tube was smooth and full of meat.[/QUOTE"]

If only I had a nickel for every time I heard that...
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Those Mesa Boogie Stillettos and Lonestars pwn me.. taking my favourite amps, and making them better. Messa Boogie.. man, if I ever get famous, I'm sooo getting an endorsement..

And also EMGs arent as hot as people think. Actually, they aren't at all, they just have a nack for amplifying pinch harmonics.