Hi,

I have an ESP Viper and when ever i play chords fairly hard i get buzing around frets 6-15 depending where i am playing. Could this to the action being too low? I actually want to lower the action, it doesn't seem to be overly low. Is there any easy fix for this buzzing as it can be annoying if i have my amp at low volumes?

Thanks.
difficult to say without looking at it. does it have the buzzing when single notes are pressed? are they new strings? how high is the action currently? are they're any nicks in the strings or on the frets?
Ibanez RGA7
Ibanez RG2550E
Guitar Rig 5
Roland Cube 30X
REAPER
Fruity Loops 9
yes it can be from the action being too low.

but if it already feels high to u than, ur neck angle might be a bit off. and thats not helping.

do u want to measure the angle and see?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Yeah it's tuned down half a step but it's the same at standard tuning. I just measured the action:
top e string it's 0.2 cm from bottom of string to top of fret, at bottom E string it's closer to 0.3 cm (both measured at the 12th fret).

There is not as much buzzing for just a single string (that's probably my playing style). There don't look to be any nicks in my frets or nuts.

How can i measure the angle?
hold your guitar up to your eye and look down the neck, (have the headstock at head end) and look at the frets. they want to have a pattern similar to this...

headstock \_/ 12th fret \ body

so a slight bowed curve to the 12th fret, then sloping to the body from there onward.

it could be something as simple as hitting the strings too hard. it happens.

because of the way a neck is shaped buzzing should be aroun frets 1-4ish and 12-15 as thats where the neck is 'highest' buzzing in the middle of that is usually somethign different in my experience.

Try raising the action a little?

unless you have experience with dealing with your truss rod and neck relief, it might be an idea to get it checked out by a professional, because if you fiddle around with it you can **** it.
Ibanez RGA7
Ibanez RG2550E
Guitar Rig 5
Roland Cube 30X
REAPER
Fruity Loops 9
Quote by Riggy

headstock \_/ 12th fret \ body

I don't quite understand that.

The neck looks dead flat if i look from the head end to the bridge and the same if i look at it horizontally.

If i do have to take it to a shop, roughly how much do they charge for this kind of stuff (in the UK)?
There should be a slight bow to the neck. That's probaly the problem.
You should have gotten a truss-rod adjuster with your guitar. I can't go into explaining it so just look for an article on it. You should probaly get help with it though; wouldn't want to break the truss rod.
to measure ur neck angle, what u want to do is..

fret the Low E at the 1st fret. at the same time,
fret the Low E at the 17th fret. about where neck meets body.

with both places held, look at the 7-8th frets.

if the string just lays on the fretwire there, u dont have enough gap.
if the string is more than a credit cards thickness up from the wire there, then u have too much gap.

just measure that and repost. and ill tell u what to turn.

and ^he means an allen wrench.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Yeah i looked at the ESP owners manual (http://www.espguitars.com/ESP_Owners_Manual.pdf), apparently there is some cover over the truss rod.

After looking at the relief there appears to be the tiniest of gaps, if i try and get a credit card under it (hard on your own) it appears to just push the string up a bit to fit it under (and that's having to let go of the first fret to give me a free hand). I guess that means it needs a bit more relief so i turn it anti-clockwise according to that ESP manual?

"Having too much bow will cause excessive buzzing in the center area of the neck and will cause the strings to be farther away from the frets in that area making it harder to play. Having too little bow or backbow to the neck will cause excessive buzzing on open notes and fretted notes near the nut area, and will bring the action down too low across the entire fretboard."
^^
Surely if i have too little backbow i would be getting buzz at the start of the fret board, yet mine is in the middle?
think of the neck in a couple of ways.

if its flat as a board u might not get any buzzing.
if its shaped like a banana, the action will feel way too high.

if the headstock is lower than it should be, depending on how deep the cuts are in the nut,
u might get buzzing along the first few frets, AND/OR way down by the neck pickup.
frets 6-15, sound like typical neck pickup area to me.

i think u can help ur relief by giving the truss rod a 1/8" turn COUNTER CLOCKWISE.
(just like u looked up. good for u.)

u remove the plastic cover, located in the headstock, then use the allen wrench that came with the guitar. (hopefully)

u turn a 1/8" amount. a very small amount. and then let the guitar sit for about an hour.
then u remeasure. see if its improved.
(use a capo if u have one, to hold the first fret. )

if it still needs a little more gap then give it another 1/8" turn and let it sit another hour.

after the hour. see if u can adjust the action closer to ur preference.
repost, if u have questions.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
i think u can help ur relief by giving the truss rod a 1/8" turn COUNTER CLOCKWISE.

So this is anti-clockwise looking down from the neck to the body right? (so a left turn).

And i didn't get an allan key with it so i'll have to wait a week and a half before i get home to adjust it.
its hard to explain. but when ur looking at the down actual nut.
picture that circle as if it were a clock face and then spin the L shaped wrench around in a counter direction.

starting wt the wrench pointed to the right...
as it loops over the nut to the left and then
back under the nut to the right.

* warning, the following pic is lame...
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Jun 22, 2006,