So last week I picked up my guitar and I played horribly. So I thought that It was just a bad day or someting but this kept reaccuring on for the entire week. Today I decided to try a different pick with a finger groover in it, and I played like my old self. My conclusion is that I keep holding the pick different each time. This is very frustrating, Ive been playing for 9 months, this shouldnt be happening should it? Even with the pick with the finger groover I sometimes hold different then other times. Any advice?

Thanks.
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
Well.. Try to hold the pick the same every time you play?
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Quote by elvenkindje
Well.. Try to hold the pick the same every time you play?

I would if I could....
Vox ad15vt
yamaha f-310p
I would just keep practicing dude, personally i only use picks when needed, try using your fingers more, you will see youll play faster and more smoothly
Ive been practising 3 hours a day for the last 9 months... I dont know why I cant, I just grip it different each time.. Sometimes my thumb is a bit too high or whatever.
Vox ad15vt
yamaha f-310p
one of the first things you should practice is proper pick holding techniques, there is an angle it should be held at that is comfortable and is more or less the same way for almost everyone (give or take a degree or 2) i can't really describe it, the best i can recommend is googling this. after a while of holding the pick and playing w/ it properly you will instantly do that everytime you pick one up (and it will feel odd any other way)
If you notice you grip it different.. Re-grip it
Elvenkindje

Elvenkindje
Quote by elvenkindje
If you notice you grip it different.. Re-grip it

There is more then one way I find comfortable and only one way that gives the best results. Your talking to me like im a retard.
Vox ad15vt
yamaha f-310p
that may be the problem, 3 hours a day for 9 months, if you always hold it a little different you'll never get used to doing it one way, i would say take a simple 3 chord progression and work on individual string plucking and strumming, as with everything on the guitar, start slowly and if you notice your pick slipped a little, stop and correct your pick and go again, eventually you'll get to the point where the 2 fingers you hold it with will automatically adjust for this but in the beginning you definately need to pay attention to it.
Quote by z4twenny
that may be the problem, 3 hours a day for 9 months, if you always hold it a little different you'll never get used to doing it one way, i would say take a simple 3 chord progression and work on individual string plucking and strumming, as with everything on the guitar, start slowly and if you notice your pick slipped a little, stop and correct your pick and go again, eventually you'll get to the point where the 2 fingers you hold it with will automatically adjust for this but in the beginning you definately need to pay attention to it.

Thanks guys. Alright Ill definately try that. Now that you mention it, When the pick slips a bit I usually continue playing whatever im playing until I stop.
Vox ad15vt
yamaha f-310p
Quote by The Iron Man
There is more then one way I find comfortable and only one way that gives the best results. Your talking to me like im a retard.

I don't think you're retarded, I just think it's a simple question with a simple answer you could have come up with yourself. No offense btw and I'm trying to help you, eh

Well, if you find more ways to hold it comfortable, I suggest you play some chord with ease of these holding ways. Then play some licks, riffs, strumming etc.. After this, make a choice: Which of the ways of holding was better than all the others. Thát's the way you should try to hold the pick from now on

Start off slow from then. Play some things and pay attention to how you're holding the pick! You should be holding it exactly the same EVERY note you play, EVERY second you play, EVERY chord. Got that? That is the only way to see a bigger improvement.

You'll be having trouble in the beginning, but if you stick with it and consciencely (sp?) regrip it the same way and correct it if it moves a bit during the playing, you'll find that you'll do that automatically within a month. That is a guarantee! Good luck with it
Elvenkindje

Elvenkindje
dude you dont HAVE to practise 3 hours a day after the first or second hour you will probably end up playing the same stuff and your mind and fingers will be tired. usually once a month i feel myself slipping like for example im not hitting notes on time or cant get the right sound ill set a day where i dont play guitar at all and it seems to sort it all out after that day i play amazingly again. so just practise here and there for 1/3 an hour or so
UNLEASH THE FOCKING BURGERS
Last edited by Shredder6 at Jun 21, 2006,
Actualy i dont agree with some of the things some people are saying. The pick is just an extention and held differently while you play diferrent parts, and thats different for everyone. There isnt a "standard" as to how to hold it, but think about it logicaly, if you want to play a fast part you dont want to mutch friction, so you play with mostly only the top of the pick, but if you are strumming chords on for example an acoustic guitar, you use more of the body of the pick... it doesnt matter if the pick isnt 100% in the perfect angle.

Maybe the problem isnt in the holding of the pick, but the thickness of the pick? have you tried diferrent types? i found out (for myself) that a slightly thicker pick plays better for me then a slophy thin pick for example.
i'd agree w/ maiden to a degree, HOWEVER, i have noticed in dealing w/ many guitarists that all the "good ones" hold the pick the same way (actually more specifically the angle of attack is the same, it depends on the individual and how far their arm hangs down but all the killer players hold a pick pretty much the same way) and i would like to point out that even the threadstarter says "There is more then one way I find comfortable and only one way that gives the best results" so i would recommend practicing that one way that gives best results and once you get to the point where your fingers automatically assume that position then maybe try different ways that are comfortable (though you may not want to if theat one way that sounds best truly does sound best)