I've been interested in playing bass for awhile now but don't want to go all out on gear right away. I'd like to buy an inexpensive bass and run it through a small practice amp (a Roland Microcube).

This would not be in any performance setting.... just practicing in my apartment at low volumes (probably 3 or 4).

I've been told playing a bass through a guitar amp can be damaging to the amp, but would this be the case for doing some simple practice at low volumes? I live in an apartment and can't even rock my guitar out at loud volumes without headphones on.

I figure it I take a liking to bass, I can worry about getting some nicer gear later.
I dont know man.... i played bass with my tiny 15w fender at about 4 tops and now my drive doesnt work

but im not sure if that was the reason
I've been told that playing the bass on a guitar amp is bad but if you don't have it at a very loud level it should work fine.I know this because I play my bass with a small fender guitar amp and it sounds great.
If you use some headphones with the microcube it shouldn't hurt it. My school has a Crate 2x12 guitar amp (was always a pos), and we finally got a jazz band so for the first year instead of playing guitar for the band, I played the bass through this amp. The amp used to be pretty damn loud so I would play it at half volume with the bass cut completely because it would make a loud humming. But I checked yesterday and after four months of being played through for about 2 hours a week, it'd about as loud as it used to be at 2 or 3 on the amp. So beware with using a bass in a guitar amp, the speakers just can't take it.
RIP SYD
Member #6 of the "SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4lifeSZ to join.
Quote by BobFromReboot
So beware with using a bass in a guitar amp, the speakers just can't take it.

True, most guitar amps are open backed; bass guitar speakers need to be in a tuned (ported) cab which protects the speakers, also bass speakers are constructed different to guitar speakers.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
For practice, a guitar amp is fine.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Quote by Applehead
Quiet practice !!!

I meant bedreoom practice.

although i have done a Jam session with a Guitar amp (laney hardcore max 10 or something) and it was fine.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
if you have headphones, it'll bypass the speaker, not causing any damage to it...otherwise, playing at low volumes will be okay for a little while
Quote by Soma3009
An interesting Thread. IN BIZARRO WORLD! HAH.

Quote by FakePlsticTrees
and props, clapping and bows to you mantiscabinet.
i've bedroom practiced with a small 15W for a long while now. works pretty well, just not at incredible volumes
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
I don't think it's ever a good idea to use a Guitar amp with a Bass..... If you practice at low volume it still hurts it, because of the low frequency. Hooking it through the headphones is fine but come on! Who wants to play with headphones all day and not be able to have the satisfaction of everyone else hearing your mad bassline! I would go ahead and invest in a Bass Amp, it'll be better in the long run+you don't have to have headphones on to hear you+ If one of your friends is over you can go "Hey check this out!" But that's just my opion and i'm sure someone will thrash it here in a day or two...........