For some reason I'm having trouble with the concept of the CAGED system... I don't understand how it applys to scales and chords.

What I THINK it is is this:
There are 5 shapes (we'll just talk major scales for now), just like there are 5 pentatonic shapes. So I know what each letter in the word CAGED means, but this C chord shape I see doesn't make sense when you talk about a scale shape, I'm missing that connection.

Is this like the E shape you use with barr chords? Is that the E shape? So there's a major scale behind that shape that I can play? I know major scales but only two forms (shapes I guess that you can move)... maybe I'm 2/5 of the way there...

lol, does that make ANY sense at all??
-Red 1990 Fender Strat with maple neck
-Cream colored Strat. GFS Premium II pickups.
-Line6 spider 210 and Fender Pinceton Chorus amps
-Zoom G2
Well if you mean the scales lesson about caged on the site:

The diagrams there show the notes in the Cmajor scale and compare it to the chord "C".

EDIT: Actually, your question didn't really make sense to me. Sorry, I'm not good at understanding
From my limited understanding of the CAGED system:

Play a C major
Now barre at the third fret and play an A major shape.... that is an C
Now barre at the fifth fret and play an G major shape.... that is an C
Now barre at the seven fret and play an E major shape.... that is an C
Now barre at the ninth fret and play an D major shape.... that is an C

I think.
And this pattern works for all of them....
Ex.
Play an A major
Now barre at the third fret and play an G major shape.... that is an A
etc.
i never learnt the CAGED thing, i always thought it was the 5 easy/beginner chords.

seeing as how they all ARE easy/begginner chords.
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
Well if you mean the scales lesson about caged on the site:

The diagrams there show the notes in the Cmajor scale and compare it to the chord "C".

EDIT: Actually, your question didn't really make sense to me. Sorry, I'm not good at understanding

haha, I'm not even sure if I understand it anymore... let's try again:

What is the CAGED system.

-Zoom G2
Quote by Casmin_Fluffer
Are you using Bill Edwards' Fretboard Logic? That is a stupid stupid series of books. The people who use them know nothing.

-C_Fluff

I'm using a Guthrie Govan book, Creative Guitar: Cutting Edge Techniques. He talks lots about the CAGED system and explaines it but I'll be damned if I can understand it... it seems important in his context in the book at least.
-Zoom G2
I've been doing some more reading and it comes down to moving different open-chord shapes up the neck. Like how the major barr chord is the E maj position that you move up. You do the same with all the other open chords, c,a,g,e,d. They are also connected in that order up the neck, just like the pentatonic scales are connected. It's just a way of landmarking where you're scales can be when you are playing a chord. So if you're playing a standard A barr chord, you are in the E shape and can hit some penta notes in and around there.... they lead into penta scales, sorta where penta scales came from.
-Zoom G2
hmmm...con someone post a link? ive never heard of this! i wanna learn it
LYRICS. WASTED TIME BETWEEN SOLOS

l
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/scales/scale_shapes_in_caged_system.html isn't the best.... but it might help you out.

I was reading a book actually and I ended up reading over it a number of times and think I still need to read it over more. It's confusing as hell right now and hard to explaine. The book is creative guitar: cutting edge techniques by guthrie govan. Check it out, it's a good book all-around.
-Zoom G2