Page 1 of 2
i never taut id be sayin this but im gettin tired of playin.lately i suck.ive just stopped makin progress.what to do?
give up. The great players never got sick of this thing. You'r probably not cut out for this thing.
I suck but I don't care. If you always play alone, play with other people, and if you have a band, play with other people.
Signatures fucking suck.
Whenever I get apathetic, I just take a break for a few days, then I pick up my axe again and start playing. Trust me, it happens all the time.
Try learning something new and different - perhaps you aren't trying the right type of music....I never thought I would like playing blues guitar until I tried it.
Epiphone Les Paul
T. Haruo Acoustic
Fender MusicMan 210 (130w)
Quote by Def
give up. The great players never got sick of this thing. You'r probably not cut out for this thing.

wow, thats the best piece of advice ever.

give up.

yeah, im being sarcastic you dumbass.

ALL of the great's got sick of it for a while, i can guarantee that. unless they dont have lifes (cough cough Yngwie malmsteen: eat sleep eat guitar eat = daily schedule)

we all have our off days. give it a day or two, go out, get some fresh air, have som fun with friends, etc.

i actually had one of those days 2 days ago. then yesterday i was feeling so rejuvanated that i went to L&M and played guitar/bass there for 3 hours, and came back home and played for another 3 (bass).
yup zzfh, just give up...... thhhpphhtt.... if you really don't like playing anymore then don't, i've been at it for 10 years (at an average of 4 hours a day, thats 14 thousand hours) and i still love playing, maybe you should try actually improving your ability not all progress is @ light speed, maybe try some new style that you've never done before, listen to artists you hate (yup i said it, but i know theres at least one of you thats wanted to do a metal version of 'crazy' by britney spears) and maybe listen with more of an open mind so you can differentiate between music you don't like that is still good music vs. music that just sucks....
blues are fun to play try them and you learn very good soloing tehniques from them if you decide to create your own stuff, i just recently started creating stuff and playing blues they go together well
UNLEASH THE FOCKING BURGERS
Quote by zzfh
i never taut id be sayin this but im gettin tired of playin.lately i suck.ive just stopped makin progress.what to do?

Learn to spell!
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I've hit that block many times, probably the same as you. I found the cause was that I was always playing alone and playing the same thing, that got old FAST. So I switch it up, I play electric, then I'll play acoustic for like a week. I've grabbed some books and just looked around UG and the net for some new scales, techniques. Have you looked at pick n grin's vids or Kris Dauhl's shredding ones? Even if you're not going to shred, he's got some great points in there and some techniques. I find if I have new scales to learn, that'll keep me busy for a while.

I also like to learn a new song when I'm sick of playing the same old crap. Grab a song from a differnet genre or artist and work it out. I've also found that learning solos and stuff by ear is way more fun than reading the tab for it.

All in all, maybe you just need a break. I take them all the time. I don't play for a living so if I take 2 weeks off and don't touch the thing, the worst that's going to happen is I'm going to have to dust it when I want to play... that's it. It's a hobbie for most of us I think, just like playing a video game... when you're sick of it you can take a break or move on to a different game (let's say different genre of music or scale when it comes to guitar).

But yah, maybe take a breather for a bit.

Def: You're either kidding or a moron... I hope you're kidding. If you are, at least follow it with something meaningful so you contribute instead of just take up space on this guy's thread.
-Red 1990 Fender Strat with maple neck
-Cream colored Strat. GFS Premium II pickups.
-Line6 spider 210 and Fender Pinceton Chorus amps
-Zoom G2
Last edited by recklessftw at Jun 21, 2006,
Quote by John Swift
Learn to spell!

And the meaning of you're post is? You understand him dont you??!

Anway, i think EVERYONE has this sometimes, some of my friends are on the conservatorium(sp?) and they have to play so mutch for school / work they get sick of it now and then. This is not a problem, its only a natural human reaction. There is nothing wrong with putting the guitar down for a while (say 1/2 days) or learn some new theory too broaden you're experience and play style. For me it both works great. Or maybe go to a few jamsessions and play (or just listen) there for a while.

The key to boredom is adversety, playing the same day after day gets boring. Try putting all those houres of practise into something more fun, like songwriting perhaps?
Quote by iMaiden

The key to boredom is adversety, playing the same day after day gets boring. Try putting all those houres of practise into something more fun, like songwriting perhaps?

For sure, that's something that REALLY get's you going on playing... worked very well for me!

You could even take that one step farther and grab some cheap/free music software and start to record your songs if you're into that. I found that's a great way to learn about all sorts of aspects of a song.
-Red 1990 Fender Strat with maple neck
-Cream colored Strat. GFS Premium II pickups.
-Line6 spider 210 and Fender Pinceton Chorus amps
-Zoom G2
Quote by iMaiden
And the meaning of you're post is? You understand him dont you??!
?

I understand him very well, if his playing is the same as his spelling then maybe he should pack it in!
Tired of the people, places, material etc yes, of playing never!
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
well for the two years i have been playing as hard as it is to beleive i have never and i mean never missed a day. even when i broke my arm i played. it was all open chords though because my fret arm is the one that got broke.but anyway in those two years sometimes i would feel like playin was more like work.so thats when i would say to hell with the exercises today im just gonna play wat i want to.at first it would suck but once i just started to playing it got fun i would just go crazy and play sumthin off the top of my head i just made up.
Well:

-take up a new style
-learn a new song
-buy yourself a new pedal/new strings/something new in general
-learn some more theory
-listen to some new music
-or just take a break from guitar for a week or so if nothing works (only annoying thing is that your calluses dissappear in this timeframe so it takes a day or two to get them back)
I wake up and i want to play bass, and it's the last thing i do at night. My daily schedule is wake at 6am, play piano for one hour, go to work for 8am, play guitar in my lunch break at work (yes i have a guitar at work under my desk), home by 5pm, bass for at least three hours, guitar for another hour or so, chill, sit watching telly with bass in hand, fiddling.. bed.

That's every day, weekends i play more like six hours. I barely go out unless it's to gigs, but i tell you what i love every second of it. two years in and the passion is the same.

I think dont think you are bored of playing, i think you have hit a plateau in your playing, so you're bored of WHAT you're playing, not playing itself. You need to start challenging yourself again (remember when you couldnt play a barre chord, remember when you changing from a C to a G seemed downright impossible?). Take a piece you cannot play and learn it, properly. When you get to a hard it, keep at it, for days eve, until you get it. This will get you back into the spirit..

Good luck.. dont give up, quitting is for losers.
Quote by mangablade
wow, thats the best piece of advice ever.

give up.

<snip>

i actually had one of those days 2 days ago. then yesterday i was feeling so rejuvanated that i went to L&M and played guitar/bass there for 3 hours, and came back home and played for another 3 (bass).

Actually I agree with him. If you don't like it anymore, then don't do it. If you can't figure out why the hell you want to be doing it on your own, then some jackasses on a internet forum trying to give you cookie cutter advice for what they like about playing probably won't help.

What did you do when you started feeling like you didn't want to do it anymore, you stopped for a day or two, then realized "Hey, I really do want to be doing this."

He's spot on. If you don't want to do it, then don't ****ing do it.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
get new gear, it always works. and as they say, try different things.
Quote by pinheadslts75
My right hand fell in love with my penis once. Then the right hand realized the penis slept with the left one too. Things are akward in the bedroom nowadays.
Quote by zzfh

hate to break it to you, but you cant just come on here not wanting to play, and have some complete strangers give you some miracle idea that will be perfect to make you want to play again. there is no drug, some super lsd that can make you want to play again. if you dont want to play, you cant do something to force yourself to want to play again. just dont play. let your most basic, primitive desires take over your life, jeez. i did that a long time ago. sure it makes you a lazy, apathetic, hungry, jackass loser, but you'll never do something you dont want to do. besides, you bought the instrument, as soon as you want to play again you will just pick it back up. if you never want to play again, just quit. i mean, its not like some membership where if you dont do it for a week and dont pay your fee you cant keep doing it. its just a hobby. do it again when you feel like it. sure you wont get any better, but if you are as bored with it as you say, you wont really care how much better you are getting at it, cuz you dont like it. especially if you are talkin about bass... no matter how good you are at bass, its always boring.
Take a break for a week or so, if you feel the same way, take 6 months to a year off, you will be rusty but you will come back with a new style and look forward to playing.
Quote by cokeisbetter
Whenever I get apathetic, I just take a break for a few days, then I pick up my axe again and start playing. Trust me, it happens all the time.

-Thats what i do
due, this is common. dont quit playing. just try some different stuff. not necessarily a different genre but at least some diff songs. I thnk you just hit a time when you arent progressing cause you arent trying new stuff. Im sure the guys above me said basically the same thing but its true. try other stuff. trust me you dont want to give up playing.
Du Hast Meche

Member 21 of "I Survived UG Pwn Day"

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
Simply learn something new, and then play it. I've never been sick of playing really, and I've been playing for a good year and a half...

I don't know though, maybe take a break, or find some inspiration to play again.

I can't give to good of advice because it hasn't happened to me. Maybe put it down or something when your feeling tired of playing, because eventually you'll want to pick it up again.
Quote by yawn
Don't type in all caps.

Otherwise You Look Like A Complete Moron.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) Bold print. Reason? Y/N?
Quote by cokeisbetter

This guy put it best.
Oh ho, everyday is an adventure
Heres the best advice you will ever hear. Ive been playing sinse I was 16, Im 22 now. Everybody comes to a point when s'hit is just not working and your not learning anything or just cant. Its ok, your just burned out.

In that case, stop working on that song youve been learning and DO NOT start learning anything new. Instead, put the guittar down for a few days, come back later and play around on it, just hit notes, free style around, dont play any songs.

Eventually youll start to like it again, and start learning that song again, and I GUARANTEE you will finish it.

Dont start learning new songs if your burned out, unless they are easy like Tarrega's Etudes, cause those are just lessons.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
hate to break it to you, but you cant just come on here not wanting to play, and have some complete strangers give you some miracle idea that will be perfect to make you want to play again. there is no drug, some super lsd that can make you want to play again. if you dont want to play, you cant do something to force yourself to want to play again. just dont play. let your most basic, primitive desires take over your life, jeez. i did that a long time ago. sure it makes you a lazy, apathetic, hungry, jackass loser, but you'll never do something you dont want to do. besides, you bought the instrument, as soon as you want to play again you will just pick it back up. if you never want to play again, just quit. i mean, its not like some membership where if you dont do it for a week and dont pay your fee you cant keep doing it. its just a hobby. do it again when you feel like it. sure you wont get any better, but if you are as bored with it as you say, you wont really care how much better you are getting at it, cuz you dont like it. especially if you are talkin about bass... no matter how good you are at bass, its always boring.

I respected you until the last sentence. Shame.
first thing to do, learn to type. second learn to spell. and third, if you suck stop being a whiny ass and practice.

edit: and fourth, don't ever start talking **** about bass players again cause there are not enough of em, they're nuts and kick ass(I have never seen a completely sane bassplayer wich is one of the reasons i like 'm)

whiny bitch
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Last edited by FretboardToAsh at Jun 22, 2006,
Quote by Applehead
I respected you until the last sentence. Shame.

don't bother noticing him, he probably never heard one of cliffs solo's
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Quote by FretboardToAsh
don't bother noticing him, he probably never heard one of cliffs solo's

how about Vikta W00t ten?
My suggestion to you is to stop playing for a while, and go out and watch a few local bands play, not just the style you usually listen to, but listen to a classical concert, a jazz show, or if you're feeling really good maybe even rap. Talk to the musicians afterwords, ask for suggestions, and get back and play.
yeah the whole playing bass being boring is a rip, the dude from tool does some really melodic finger tapping stuff, les claypool and cliff burton, both just totally nuts on it, no way is bass boring, the dude who said that prolly just plays root notes in 4/4 and considers that proper bass playing.
Whenever I feel like that, I take a break for a day or so. Or I play songs that made me want to learn how to play in the first place (Aerials, for example) and just relax.
If you don't want to do it, then don't do it. If you want to, then go for it. Simple as that.

Not having guitar in your life doesn't make you any less of a person (not having ANY music in your life, whether listening or playing, does).
Quote by Maet

Not having guitar in your life doesn't make you any less of a person (not having ANY music in your life, whether listening or playing, does).

Wow, I like that . hehe
yeah the whole playing bass being boring is a rip, the dude from tool does some really melodic finger tapping stuff, les claypool and cliff burton, both just totally nuts on it, no way is bass boring, the dude who said that prolly just plays root notes in 4/4 and considers that proper bass playing.

Agreed, although I hate bands with bass players that just follow the guitar. The bass is its own intsrument, make it your own. You know what has a really good bass line? I'm Alright by Neil Zaza.

Oh and on the subject, everyone goes through a little downside eventually, where you think you can't get any better, but what is happening is that you're trying something harder and the hands are not use to the pattern. Everyone will eventually get discouraged thats the part of learning, getting through the hard part. Just keep at it. I don't know anyone who regrets knowing how to play the guitar.

PS I may be a guitar player but I still respect bass and drummers. I tried the drums once. It's harder than it looks.
Well, I'm not gonna write you an essay on what to do, just because its 1:00 am, but I will tell you simply to put the guitar down, go to a local proffesional show of a band/genre that you like or even something different and just chew on it and take it all in; it will motivate you. Come back a day or two after you have took a break and try too incorporate these things/styles into your playing. Trust me, by this time and after the show, you will be craving guitar and saying to yourself "I have to try that!!". Note: Do NOT try and push/muscle your way through this bind, or you will just piss your self off even more. I garauntee you that everyone goes through this, its unavoidable.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Page 1 of 2