I've read almost everyone dislikes the marshall MG's. I have the 100watt combo version and i do agree its not a nice sounding amp but i have a Boss GT=8 which i reun using the 4 cable method which basically bypasses the preamp of the marshall and sorta just uses as a speaker i think so basically my ampis my gt8 whiich i can get some sweet sounds. Ive read most ppl after a new guitar that have a MG marshall everyone has said get a new amp 1st. Do u think this is the same case for me because as some of u may have read below im after a shcecter hellraiser FR so yeh do you all think new amp first or will gt8 do for now. I know its personal choice but some opinions would be great.
THanks
Cameron
Equipment

Guitars:
Ibanez SA160QM
Amps:
Marshall MG100DFX
Effects:

Boss GT-8
A new amp determines your sound more than a new guitar. I'd say go for the amp.
Quote by grimreaper65
Har har har. Go stuff your panties with toads and then masturbate.

Ahh, I love the Pit.

Quote by SilentDeftone
I don't need to report you, I can just ban you instead.

-SD

Owned!
i'd say get a new guitar first, personally im currently using that method with a pod xt at the moment into a avt50h effects return (bypassing the preamp) and it sounds pretty good. Definatly get a new amp afterwards though. I'm planning on replacing that head with a laney gh50l when i can afford it lol.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Since you're using modelling stuff, a new guitar won't sound too differen, but it will feel different. Go for which ever you feel is lacking the most, tone or feel.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
whatever floats your boat, I bought a guitar first which is because I found a great deal on an MIA Fat Strat and it made any amp I plugged it into sing. But the guitar you have is decent so I'll agree with what telepromters said.
Quote by Teleprompters
sell the mg, get a small tube combo with nice cleans, possibly a fender blues junior or any other fender

Why a Fender? Not everyone likes RHCP, he has a Hellraiser FR (Suited for metal). I suggest selling it and getting a Vox or a Roland Cube. Though I may be wrong, what style of music do you play?
Quote by hourglass666
Why a Fender? Not everyone likes RHCP, he has a Hellraiser FR (Suited for metal). I suggest selling it and getting a Vox or a Roland Cube. Though I may be wrong, what style of music do you play?

whats the point in suggesting a modeller ? thats basically just getting the same rig as he's got at the moment.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
you think people hate MG's, you gotta see the mile long flames about the line 6 spider...anywho, a peavey would be versatile and quite reliable, IMO
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
new amp all the way. it will seriously help.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by hourglass666

Just no.

Quote by TGM
Since you're using modelling stuff, a new guitar won't sound too differen, but it will feel different. Go for which ever you feel is lacking the most, tone or feel.

+1
very true
Quote by axe_grinder247
you think people hate MG's, you gotta see the mile long flames about the line 6 spider...anywho, a peavey would be versatile and quite reliable, IMO

Yeah i prefer mine to the line 6, a mates got one but that doesnt do it for me aye. Thanks for all the replies and yeh my main style is metal so i duno do fender do a good metal amp. But the main thing for me is money i really want a new guitar which is why im thinking about geting the schecter as i can get it for about 1100 AUD but if i could get a good amp for around the same price ide definatly consider it any suggestions.
Equipment

Guitars:
Ibanez SA160QM
Amps:
Marshall MG100DFX
Effects:

Boss GT-8
Why not get a tube power amp and a nice cab?
RIP SYD
Member #6 of the "SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4lifeSZ to join.
Quote by BobFromReboot
Why not get a tube power amp and a nice cab?

Oh yeah havnt really even thought about that got any suggestions i dont know much about that.
Equipment

Guitars:
Ibanez SA160QM
Amps:
Marshall MG100DFX
Effects:

Boss GT-8
Quote by Roc8995

Wow that seems the go, thats a really good idea might have to invest in one of those because i am pretty happy with the amount of tones i can get from the gt8. Also ive been hearig alot about the neck on the hellraisers, is it really that big or can anyone tell me the dimensions?
Equipment

Guitars:
Ibanez SA160QM
Amps:
Marshall MG100DFX
Effects:

Boss GT-8
Not everyone hates MG's. I have one and actually find it to be a decent practice amp. Since you have a special set-up already, if it's workign for you, I don't see why you should change it. Just because it isn't the most conventional setup, if it works, why f*ck with it?

I went by what I liked the sound of. Not by what the majority of UG liked. And ebcause I did that, I found a practice amp that I like. I didn't really like the other amps people on UG recommended me. I picked what I wanted, which I recommend you do as well. Just because some random person over the internet thinks you need new gear, it doesn't mean it's true.

You have a good set-up now, and the only kind of upgrade you could get would be to go fully tube. Which, yes, would be great, BUT you already said you can get a sweet sound from your current setup. And, if you already have a good sound, why upgrade just yet?

If you want a new guitar, go for it. Just because your setup uses an MG doesn't mean it sucks. You're really just using it for the speaker, so technically it's just a cabinet.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Last edited by Xenn99 at Jun 21, 2006,