Page 1 of 2
OK i graduated yesterday from HS. I've been beggin for a martin for 3yrs now n my parents finally got me one. I was hoping at the best to get a D 16rosewood..round 1200$ They turn around and get me some 3000 martin DC...its a cutaway which i hate..made out of sapele..which i never heard of, has a really expensive pickup which i prob will never use, and to top it off its got my ****n initials on hte fretboard and 06 so i'll never sell it. I cannot belive my parents spent 3grand on a guitar i would have never ever picked out myself. **** i couldve got my dream D28 with a grand left over! I didnt even actually get it yet they have me the contract cuz it still not done. Im just like in shock that they spent all that never even listened to what i lwanted. I feel horrible cuz when anyone spends that kind of cash on a guitar it should b exactly what they want u know...n its not close. And another thing..its a DC16E premium with my initials on the fretboard why the hell is it so much?? I'm just like compeltely dazed. I feel like an asshole for not liking it but it was so much and they got nothing rite with it ..ugggggggggggggggg
Well, if you don't want it, I'll take it...
Member #6 of the Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club. PM iamtehwalrus768 to join.
When it comes to flipping pancakes, it's better than burgers.
*tear* I enlisted in the air force to pay for college and have consequently put off college for three years while being activated and deployed but you don't see me bitching about it. Be grateful for what you've been given.

Bry
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Large Brownie Batter Blizzard with chunks of brownie. *Dairy product orgasm*

Yes, i'm fat
be grateful they can afford it and that they thought of getting you something in the first place, some parents dnt get anything for their kids...oh and im sure at 3,000$ bux ull learn to love it at some point..keep your head up man damn...
Quote by Muphin
Jupiter is a fat bitch. We should nuke it.

jersey girls arent trash ...trash gets picked up
staten island doesnt really exist its just a reflection of the fumes from jersey on the water caused by the movement of the sun
you can still sell it, or at least get a new neck for the guitar then sell it and get your dream guitar.
August 21, 2006 - Red Hot Chili Peppers at the Rose Garden
Yeah... I live less than an hour away from Old Forge... My offer still stands.
Member #6 of the Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club. PM iamtehwalrus768 to join.
When it comes to flipping pancakes, it's better than burgers.
I'm not too far either, i can drive there or you can ship it too me...you can choose, you ungrateful maggot.
Quote by nic_2090
What ever happened to sticks and stones....?

Quote by Maet
The Niggers took them all to build their crappy huts in africa and Detroit...

Too much?
I live in Nazareth...aka, where Martin's are made...and somewhat close to Scranton!
sapele is just a certain cut of mahogany. no tonal differences from normal mahogany

you're a terrible son, i'd love for my parents to get me something like that..

you'll learn to love it in time. hopefully.
Jesuchristo! You want to know what I got when I graduated from High School? A pat on the ass, and a check to pay for my books for my first semester of college. Its obvious that your parents care a lot about you, and hopefully you can return that love to them by graciously accepting and loving their gift. Its ridiculous for you to come complain to us about something so dumb, materialistic, and shallow. Grow up, kid.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
no haha dont get me wrong im grateful. Im so used to them not getting me anything..my whole fam forgot bout my 18th bday last month..it doenst even phase me..that i wouldve never complained bout not getting it. I'm saying it cant belive they spent that kind of cash n its nothing i wouldve picked out...it just really ironic i guess i wish they could just asked what i liked i guess my dream is a D28 rosewood im sure imentioned that a million times in hte past 3yrslol. Dont get me wrong im grateful n floored..it didnt even hit yet they ordered it in jan n they said 3weeks so i never saw it yet. My mom works in allentown..next to narzarth n she nos someone from martin n got a redic deal for it.

OYEA sry guys im LEFTY so im guessin it makes my Martin useless to u
My advice to you. Take it with a smile, get a job, and buy the guitar you want. You live at home and it shouldn't take you too long at all to save up a couple grand.
If I asked for a $100 guitar, my parents would call me crazy. But that's completely fine with me.
Quote by Tantalus
If I asked for a $100 guitar, my parents would call me crazy. But that's completely fine with me.

my mother doesnt think its too crazy when i ask her for a 2300 dollar guitar that i want.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Pretty stupid IMO to pay 3K for a guitar that you don't like. I'm sure it kicks ass but at that price range you really have to get the one YOU like, not the one someone else thinks you'll like. But I bet you will learn to love it in time..

My mom bought me a Yamaha FG730S for my 20th birthday. I would have bought it with my own money but she wanted to pay for it. I love it. Too bad it's so damn hot in here right now so if I start playing my hands get really sweaty like right away.
Your parents got ripped, the DC you're talking about lists for 1700USD which would sell around 1100-1200USD. Even with the initials and all, 3 grand is a rip off. BTW, if you were my son and you were this ungrateful, I would break the guitar over your head. I'd sell my left nut for a Martin.
Same thing sort of happened to me with my parents getting me something more expensive than I asked for. Christmas 2004 I asked for a Fender Mexican Telecaster, my parents got me an American Telecaster! Fortunately that was what I wanted!
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
most parents dont spend 3000 dollars on their kid. so quit whining. your lucky you got a dang guitar at all.
I am a traveler of both time and space, to be where I have been

To sit with elders of the gentle race, this world has seldom seen
pshh, you suck. Seriously. My parents got me a cheaper guitar than what I wanted and I hate it..and now it doesn't work...=(

Get over it, learn to love it.

To Revrock: Where did you see it for 17,000? At my music shop, they have it for $2,500 and I just checked musiciansfriend.com and they have it for $2,700. The neck probably cost about $200. And I played one not too long ago. They are really sweet!
BUY SOME PHOTOS..Click here, and then click 'store'

Quote by GOD*OF*ROCK
lol man plz dont take this the wrong way but you really cant rap.
Go get a Taylor.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
^--- i swear that guy is a taylor spokesman. either that or everything on his keyboard is broken except for the control and the "v" key.

Be ****ing respectful. They obviously went to a lot of effort to get your initials and year of graduation on it. If my parents bought me something like that, even if i didnt like it, I'd ****ing tell them i appreciated it 100x.

I feel so sorry for you, you know, when there are people in this world dieing of diseases that we in the west are immune to almost as a birthright and others that cannot even afford food.
Also, you should wait to see how it plays. Martin=awesome sound
HAIL TRUE METAL!!!
Quote by jimtaka
^--- i swear that guy is a taylor spokesman. either that or everything on his keyboard is broken except for the control and the "v" key.

Taylors are awesome...........
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

i agree that taylors are great guitars. that doesn't make "go get a taylor" a sufficient answer to every question though.
Ya really, I just graduated too and my parents put $500 dollars towards my car payments and got me a tank of gas =)

Which was totally ****ing awesome because I hate paying for gas. And $500 dollars off my car payment means I get get my Martin sooner.

The way I did the math out on my salary and all it should take me 5 months to get the money for the Martin I want. So personally I see where you're coming from on this, but be grateful you got one right out of school and you didn't pay for it, and it's not going to take you five months of working out in the sun for nine hours a day to pay for the thing.
Its how you look and how you feel
Dude, be grateful.

My parents bought me a 12 string guitar for graduating, a Fender Accoustic, with an electric pickup...

I was so pumped. Now I just wish I had time to play guitar at all. I've been working 8-10 hours a day (not in the sun thankfully, sorry Hauf), trying to raise some cash for college.
-Roy

My Gear
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Stratocaster
Washburn Lyon (LCT24)
Silvertone Revolver Bass
Ibanez IJV50 Acoustic
Fender CD160E-12
Guild Starfire IV
Some cruddy classical that my parents bought off ebay for like 40 bucks.
My guess is that your parent's don't know much about guitars...you said you wanted a martin, they got you a martin...probably don't know what the difference is between them.
Not that they should, if they don't know they don't know, but they might just think all guitars are the same. I pretty much did before I started playing, to be honest...I say run with it. It's still a kick ass guitar...
"He has a woman's name and wears makeup. How original."
--Alice Cooper, on Marilyn Manson.
Quote by kurtpage
no haha dont get me wrong im grateful. Im so used to them not getting me anything..my whole fam forgot bout my 18th bday last month..it doenst even phase me..that i wouldve never complained bout not getting it. I'm saying it cant belive they spent that kind of cash n its nothing i wouldve picked out...

You might have to consider they missed your 18th birthday's presents so that they could get you this guitar... it is a huge sum of money, i live with a £30 and dont complain, i WISH i could have even a £199 yamaha or something to that effect.
they dont know what your thinking, just because you mention rosewood or whatever doesnt mean they UNDERSTAND it, they likely went into the shop and asked for the best they could afford. they care for you.
I had to wait a long while to get this £30 guitar, now i'm saving for a proper one myself.
I suggest you sell it or live with it.
I guess I feel for ya, but seriously, be glad you go anything. I mean, $3,000...dude. Do you know how much that is? I know it's not what you want, but our parents obviously care about you and want you to be happy.

I had to bargain with my parents just to get a $200 Squier Strat for my birthday...let alone $3,000.
Yeh, shut up. You got a personalised top of the line guitar. People like you don't deserve a guitar at all.
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
if ur going to play some american idiot stuff heres the settings:

Master Volume : 0
i dunno about the rest
your parents obviously love you a lot if they're willing to pay that much for a graduation present. a guitar is a guitar and even if it isnt the one you specifically wanted you can still make beautiful music with it. show your parents your appreciation of the gift just by playing music with it.
Quote by T.S.R.
what?
if i were a midget...id go masturbate in public because...hey, im a midget and i can get away with anything

Quote by yawn
I heard Hitler was a pretty good guitarist back in his day...

Quote by guitar?
You're a towel.
yea i mean im gonna love the guitar dont get me wrong i am grateful n still can't belive they put that much $$ and thought into getting picking it out n ****. But its just i dunno ironic i guess that they got everthing wrong on it. But please dont get me wrong im not ungrateful or complaining its more like awestruck at the whole thing lol.
Wow. Tough shit... 3 grand, It's got to be a nice guitar, and I would take it in a second.
AMERICA
AMERICA
AMERICA
Quote by kurtpage
OK i graduated yesterday from HS. I've been beggin for a martin for 3yrs now n my parents finally got me one. I was hoping at the best to get a D 16rosewood..round 1200$ They turn around and get me some 3000 martin DC...its a cutaway which i hate..made out of sapele..which i never heard of, has a really expensive pickup which i prob will never use, and to top it off its got my ****n initials on hte fretboard and 06 so i'll never sell it. I cannot belive my parents spent 3grand on a guitar i would have never ever picked out myself. **** i couldve got my dream D28 with a grand left over! I didnt even actually get it yet they have me the contract cuz it still not done. Im just like in shock that they spent all that never even listened to what i lwanted. I feel horrible cuz when anyone spends that kind of cash on a guitar it should b exactly what they want u know...n its not close. And another thing..its a DC16E premium with my initials on the fretboard why the hell is it so much?? I'm just like compeltely dazed. I feel like an asshole for not liking it but it was so much and they got nothing rite with it ..ugggggggggggggggg

All I can say is goddamn you're a whiny fucking asshole. Your parents go out and drop 3 large on a fucking guitar for you and all you can do is bitch about it before you even fucking play it? What a douchebag. "It's not my dream guitar...waaaaaaaaaaaah, waaaaaaaaaaaaah! Feel sorry for me! Waaaaaaaaaaaah!" Fuck you. Buy your own dream guitar someday, but don't bitch about this, fucking spoiled asshole.

Edit: Did you really expect ANYONE to feel sorry for you? Asshat.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Jun 25, 2006,
what if they had instead bought u a $300 one....or none at all!

and they wanted it to make it special....personalised it for u....something u will remember for all ur life man.....
Page 1 of 2