OK, so I wanna build a new guitar. Ive never built one before so Im a def noob. I want something thats realy gonna be a metal based guitar that I use for nothing but metal hard rock that type of thing. What type of wood should I use for a deep tone but has good resonance? What kind of bridge, I want a hard tail. PUps? and body paint design?

I havent started build yet but plan to in a month or so. thanks for the info.
Du Hast Meche

Member 21 of "I Survived UG Pwn Day"

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
build it outta metal!!! that gives metal tone
i bet if it was hollow it would give good resonance...
get a floyd rose, and get a duncan distortion or something similar maybe EMGs
but consider my metal body idea.
Would that work tho. I seen James Hettfields emplorer with diamond plate on the top. But would solid metal really work? Or even hollow metal body?
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
i bet hollow body would
probably wouldnt sound that great but itd be cool...
ud probably need to line the inside with some kind of foam or something
dude I like the metal body idea. pups might echo like a mutha f*cker, but that might sound kinda cool. like a built in reverb or somethin. I used a metal pickgurad once but the body was wood. I might need to google this and see if its possible.

but if u think about it old dobros are steel bodied and they sound kinda cool.I wonder what it would sound like with active pups tho?
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
Last edited by metalmilitia74 at Jun 21, 2006,
Cool, Im gonna do it. Ill start on it tomorrow, since I dont have to buy any metal it wont cost me alot. Now should I go 24 frets or not?
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
Somebody on here has done this before, i beleive it turned out well, i lost track of it, it was a lil while ago tho,

You will need to line it with a type of foam or insulation to keep the vibrations to a minimum,

it wont sound like a built in reverb,

and you will have to do a hardtail, no tremolo or vibrato bridges, the bending off the tremolo arm will bend/warp the hollow metal body.

this is overall a pretty awesome idea, you will just have to get your hands on a milling machine..

Also before taking this body into consideration think of how heavy this guitar will be.....think hard...
those diamond plates are simply cosmetic. basswood or mahogany with maple i think are the best choices for metal style guitars. go with emg's or dimarzio super distortion or X2N, or duncan distortion or invaders. go with a floyd rose for sure or a string thru tune-o-matic
I got big shoulders..lol. naw but seriously I think I could get my hands on some titanium or soething, or maybe even aluminum. byt carbon steel wouldnt be all that heavy if I dont use real thick sheets.
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
allaminium would be pretty weak
Epi 57 lespaul Goldtop
60's Vintage Kay
Jim Dunlop Wah
Crate VTX200S
u might as well make it a lap steel cuz u arent gonna want to strap this around your shoulders
I cant imagine this metal idea turning out well. I would definitely do a mahogany soloist styled guitar with a maple/mahogany thru neck and a recessed TOM, then adding either Bareknuckles (miracle mans ftw) or the old classic EMG 81/85 (since he doesnt seem a clean lover) Paint...well its up to you but matte black looks good for metal.
This metal idea, which started out as a joke (hopefully) should stop. He said he's new to this, and that would be such a bitch to design a metal guitar, let alone wire it without shocking the **** out of yourself if your not properly grounded, etc, plus it would be heavy, and kinda stupid looking.

To seriously answer your question -

Body type - Mahogany or Alder

Neck - Maple or Mahogany

Fretboard - Rosewood or Ebony

Pickups - Duncan Distortions, EMG 81/85's

Bridge/Trem - Floyd Rose

Nut - FR Locking Nut

Jet Black
Yeah Dimebag is not the "Greatest Guitarist" of all time... Hendrix maybe... I must go get food to eat with my mouth

$250 for an amp? wow. is it worth it to invest that much in the amp?

he said clearly he wanted a hardtail = recessed TOM so he doesnt have to do a neck angle....
Quote by givemeaname
Some one on the project guitar forum made a couple of telecasters out of solid aluminum a while back.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=18700&st=0

^^thats one big ass block of aluminum.

but I think that metal body would work. I had thought about this once but never went thru. besides if someone can make a ceramic strat, I think I can make a metal body guitar.
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
^^ didnt the ceramic strat fail?? the neck pocket distorted didnt it?

would be an interesting build for sure. just dont sue the entire population of ug on charges of egging you on to create an aluminium guitar when you get serious shoulder problems.

in the thread on how to make a girl uncomfortable:

Quote by Angels Fighter
i saw this in another thread but it would work

Blow your load in your hand and slap the girl in the face while yelling "spiderman"

^
Im more worried bout gettin shocked, then havin sore shoulders
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
The metal guitar has been done. It weighed a tonne, but apparently sounded good. IT's called a James Trussart Steeledeville, and it is ****ing expensive Kent Armstrong makes pickups that apparently 20 ohms. Anybody heard or tried these?