what do you put on a rack

ihave seen some with a head on it
but some have like 5 or 6 things on them what are they
A lot of people have a Power Conditioner on top
Then a multi-FX
Compressors, EQs, Noise Gates, Pedal drawers, Midi Units, Wireless Units
And yes, some people put their heads under all that so its protected.
damn... i was thinking of something else.... i was also sorta hoping you were one of ug's girls
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
all it is is a big storage container

you can use it for guitar related units, for PA and sound equipment, equipment in the studio, computer servers, etc. etc.

it's basically a universal system for racking all types of equipment

as for guitars, many use them for effects, many for preamps/poweramps as well - there is gear that can be rackmounted, and if you're buying rackmountable equipment you'll probably want a rack to store and organize it all
-Mike
Its typically more expensive and a lot of rack gear is regarded as being higher quality than some pedals.
mostly that's how it works - people with money get racks to use expensive preamps and poweramps, along with expensive rackmounted effects (unheard of by little bedroom and guitar center players like the ones on UG)

like I bet that half the people here didn't know that Dunlop makes a crybaby that none of you get to see...ever

it's called a rackmounted crybaby: http://guitargeek.com/gear/img/dunlop_rack_wah.gif

OOoOOOOOooOOO

and even guitarists who like some pedals, they usually have them all in loops to select via midi, placed on a drawer/shelf in the rack
-Mike
Quote by Metal/Guitarist
Do you have a rack? And what is on it?

Go http://acapella.harmony-central.com/ and ask about racks. You'll get a lot better answers there than here, as most everybody there has a rack and there's quite a few professional level players on that website.

I dont own one (no need) but I play with them almost on a daily basis :p

i really don't want to get to rack gearish though, not trying to sound like a cocky elitist asshole, but only a couple people would have an ass clue what im talking about

mostly you'll see power conditioners, preamps, poweramps, multi-effects, switching systems and midi controllers, channel mixers, loopers, etc. etc.
-Mike
Does the guy even know he won't have enough $$$ to buy a rack (unless if he becomes rich and famous)?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
nah you can get a pretty cheap rack

4 space used rack - 50 bucks max for a cheapo max

MP2 - 150 bucks
cheap tube poweramp - 150 bucks
intellifex/replifex - 200 bucks

bam, preamp, poweramp, rack, and effects, pro sounding, 550 dollars

cheap used cab (used avatar maybe), 300 maybe?

right there
-Mike
Quote by HopePoisoned
nah you can get a pretty cheap rack

4 space used rack - 50 bucks max for a cheapo max

MP2 - 150 bucks
cheap tube poweramp - 150 bucks
intellifex/replifex - 200 bucks

bam, preamp, poweramp, rack, and effects, pro sounding, 550 dollars

cheap used cab (used avatar maybe), 300 maybe?

right there

You could maybe grab a used Marshall 1960 for a little more.
eh - ADA preamps for versatility with very decent tone

all new equipment - engl e530, carvin TS100, 1k total for a completely all pro and killer sounding rig - beats and 1k head i know of
-Mike
Quote by HopePoisoned
eh - ADA preamps for versatility with very decent tone

all new equipment - engl e530, carvin TS100, 1k total for a completely all pro and killer sounding rig - beats and 1k head i know of

wow - nice rack.
Quote by aznrockerdude
Does the guy even know he won't have enough $$$ to buy a rack (unless if he becomes rich and famous)?

Racks are cheaper than head/cabs, IMO. More versatility.
Quote by HopePoisoned
mostly that's how it works - people with money get racks to use expensive preamps and poweramps, along with expensive rackmounted effects (unheard of by little bedroom and guitar center players like the ones on UG)

like I bet that half the people here didn't know that Dunlop makes a crybaby that none of you get to see...ever

it's called a rackmounted crybaby: http://guitargeek.com/gear/img/dunlop_rack_wah.gif

OOoOOOOOooOOO

and even guitarists who like some pedals, they usually have them all in loops to select via midi, placed on a drawer/shelf in the rack

I Have one
Quote by drevil814
Be a man and tell her off. If that doesn't work, a roundhouse kick to the face will.

Quote by flesh fries
im not racist....ive got a color tv
Holy sh!t man !! If I were standing next to you and holding a sharp object, I won't think and just stab you to death, get your keys, steal that Rack Crybaby of yours !!!!!

What exp. pedal are you playin it through.............. dude can you dupe Petrucci's sound ??

How much was it ??

Well, here's my rack....... dream

Crybaby Rackmount Wah
Mesa Boogie Triaxis Preamp
Eventide Harmonizer (Yeah baby, this sh1t costs around 4 grand)
TC Electronics G-Force (I'm creatin weird alienistic psychedelic mind-twisting through this baby)
TC Electronics 2290 Delay (I heard it was nice)
Rocktron HUSH (I can't shred that clean, so this might help)
VHT 292 Poweramp (I heard the KT88s in them can create heavy midrange tones, great for solos)

Well................ that costs around.......... dude, even counting it is making me limp !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Last edited by bluespunkmetal at Jun 23, 2006,
here's a copy and paste from another thread:

Quote by Teleprompters
if you have an infinite budget the TC electronics G-Major is the top of the line for rack effects

Actually it's the bottom of the line rack effects unit. For top of the line you're looking at something like the eventide eclipse.

Anyway, most racks usually have some kind of effects processor, many have dedicated delay and/or reverb systems. All racks will have some kind of switcher, like a Bob Bradshaw 4x4 or Axess FX4 (I think that's the model). A power conditioner is also a must, Furman being very popular. In terms of wah, people generally either have one on the ground seperately, or get a Crybaby rack system and have a controller remotely. Noise gates like the Rocktron Hush are also common sites in a rack. EQs are also somewhat common, but not as much as you'd think. Also some people will run multiple rackmount preamps and poweramps instead of an amp head for more tonal variety.

All in all, you're looking at a couple grand for a bottom-line rack, or 10k+ for a top of the line.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
it's so funny on this forum

over at HRI, half the guys have rack crybabys, 1/4 don't have a dedicated wah, and the other 1/4 have Teeses

UG is so poor

EDIT: OKAY - i tried to post my full dream rig TWICE, BOTH times took me forever, and TWICE my browser crashed and my clipboard was cleared magically

EDIT:

dream rig:

okay, i hope this works:

Teese custom rackmount RMC3
EH rack compressor

various distortion/od pedals in rack drawer: big muff, maxon OD, barber LTD, barber SS, etc.

Alesis Graphic EQ
Alesis Graphic EQ
Harmonizer Unit
Eclipse Unit
Rack-o-Wham
TC 1210
TC 1210
ISP Decimeter Pro
CAE trem
CAE trem
TC 2290
TC 2290
Soldano Space Box
Soldano Space Box
vintage 70s Eventide Reverb unit

preamps:

CAE 3+
CAE 3+/SE
Egnator
Soldano SLO pre
Engl e530 (for good measure)

poweramps:

all VHT, including atleast one of each of these: 6L6, el34, and KT88

heads:

Engl Invader
Engl Savage
OD100
Hi-Watt Custom 100
Bogner Uberschall
Laney VH
Laney GH
Hayden Buxom Blonde

cabs:

Engl XXL
Engl XXL
CAE 4x12 slant
Hi-Watt 4x12 Straight
Laney TT
Laney TT
Hayden Buxom Blonde

Paul Lenders 2x12s for wet signals, PL guitar monitor as well

all rack systems Skrydstrup, with Skrydstrup full expanded foot controller, 3 ernie ball exp
pedals: 1 for volume, 1 for wah, 1 for wham, and possibly a fourth for aux. use with the
multi-effect units

Paul Lenders pedalboard, all wiring Paul Lenders using his cables

i may have missed a lot of stuff as this was really off the top of my head
-Mike
Last edited by HopePoisoned at Jun 23, 2006,
Quote by Mascot
Racks are cheaper than head/cabs, IMO. More versatility.

I'm talking about tuners, multi-effects, compressors, noise decimators...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
^^you can get that stuff damn cheap used, like old rocktron or roland units

under 200 bucks, all pro
-Mike
Quote by HopePoisoned
it's so funny on this forum

over at HRI, half the guys have rack crybabys, 1/4 don't have a dedicated wah, and the other 1/4 have Teeses

UG is so poor

That is because the average member at HRI is significantly higher up the employment chain

On the topic of money, read and weep.

EDIT: Dream rig time:

Signal chain:

Guitar -> Wireless (undecided) -> Rackmount crybaby -> ISP decimator rackmount -> amp switcher -> Amps.

Effects loop:

Signal splitter (for analog dry) -> eventide eclipse -> mixer

Guitars:
PRS custom 24
USA double fat Strat
(w/ backups)

Amps:
ENGL sovereign (currently owned)
Marshall JCM 800 (w/ attenuater)
Mesa Boogie mark I

There's probably more I can't remember. But I have managed to find a way to cope with the GAS:
I don't need it
I can't afford it
...for a long time.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Last edited by xifr at Jun 24, 2006,