Page 1 of 2
What are your favorite metal songs to play on bass?
Mine are:

Aces High-Iron Maiden
The Trooper-Iron Maiden
The God That Failed-Metallica
Master of puppets-Metallica
Anestesia Pulling Teeth-Metallica
Sweet Child o' Mine-Guns n Roses

...and more that i cant think of right now
Try out some dimmu borgir if you're looking for a real challenge (although some of steve harris's **** is HARD). Some of my favorite songs by them are:

In Death's Embrace
Indoctrination
Sympozium
Broderskapets Ring (not that hard)
Alt Lys Er Svunnet Hen

ok, some other bands

most SOAD stuff (Toxicity, Aerials, BYOB, Science)

Pantera (Walk , 5 minutes alone, The art of shredding [thats a badass song, check that one out])

Godsmack (awake)

that should keep you busy
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Repeat the Cycle by House of Atreus. I've also been playing Darth Vader Sucks at Running by Iscariot alot. Fun songs.
if you like Maiden, try Powerslave and Phantom of the Opera. two of my fav Maiden songs, and powerslave may just be my fav song of all time.
MIA and unholy confessions by a7x, are fun. gets the head banging going, you just can't help it.
Might not really be metal and rather easy, but I love playing Motorhead's Ace of Spade... There's something I love about that distorded bass that drivesthe song...
I've become somewhat obsessed with dream theater recently, so i've been attempting to learn ytse jam, amazing song.
Also I love a bit of maiden and metallica.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Yeah, Ytse Jam is one of my favourites that main riff is killer.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
Quote by StygianFury666
learn some actual GOOD metal bass like Atheist,Gorguts and Cynic

What's this, another elitist moron? I do apologise if my music taste doesn't coincide with you're definition of 'tr00' metal. For the record i'm a fan of many other metal bands, Deicide, Decapitated, Biomechanical, Slayer, Dimmu Borgir, Opeth etc. etc.

I'm sick of people just ranting on about how all these bands aren't 'real' metal.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
if you are into opeth, try the song "Reverie/Harlequin Forest". Or another opeth song is "Moonlapse Vertigo", one i'm playing now

Metallica- Seek and Destroy
Metallica- Creeping death
Member 3 of Geddy Lee Fan Club. PM timmEH or RIC4003 to join

Member of Bass militia. PM Dinkydaisy to join

Cliff Burton is my idol. R.I.P

MegaBassPlayer's band of the week: Bound For Glory
in fact, i'm gonna play it now. been learning PoT for the last few days, done nothing else song wise!
Quote by MegaBassPlayer
if you are into opeth, try the song "Reverie/Harlequin Forest". Or another opeth song is "Moonlapse Vertigo", one i'm playing now

You're recommending Opeth and you don't mention The Drapery Falls?
Quote by Forcemaster
What's this, another elitist moron? I do apologise if my music taste doesn't coincide with you're definition of 'tr00' metal. For the record i'm a fan of many other metal bands, Deicide, Decapitated, Biomechanical, Slayer, Dimmu Borgir, Opeth etc. etc.

I'm sick of people just ranting on about how all these bands aren't 'real' metal.

those 3 bands are some of the most original metal bands out there...and the bass playing is far more difficult aswell... and come on..? mention slayer for learning bass!? slayer is mainly root notes
Quote by StygianFury666
those 3 bands are some of the most original metal bands out there...and the bass playing is far more difficult aswell... and come on..? mention slayer for learning bass!? slayer is mainly root notes

I never mentioned any for learnign bass too, but slayer, while mainly root notes, has incredibly speed it would do to help learning. And the others have pretty impressive bass players..
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
ever heard suffocation or cryptopsy?? those bassist can play 32nd notes with ease... way faster than slayer and without picks or constant root notes
Kyuss - the albums Blues for the Red Sun and Welcome to Sky Valley both have some kickass basslines.

Also I love the first Sabbath album for bass - The Warning is great fun to play around over.
Warriors of the world united by manowar is probably my favorite song
but like rap metal wise, epic by faith no more and wake up by rage against the machine
Anything by Maiden.
Seek and Destroy - Metallica
The Dance of Eternity - Dream Theater
Rammstein is fun because it's easy...yet so pumped!
Symphony X.

Nuff said.
Current Bassist and Vocalist for The Illegal Exploits

Gear
2004 Fender Jazz
1978 Peavey Centurion MkIII
1975 MusicMan GH115
2008 Acoustic B410

My band
Purevolume
hard to belive that nobody have mentioned

Metallica - Creeping Death
Quote by macsek
hard to belive that nobody have mentioned

Metallica - Creeping Death

hard to believe you're wrong. check the first page.

anywho, Metallica - Ride The Lightning
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
between the buried and me - selkies the endless obsession
BURY YOUR DEADALIVE!
No offence threadstarter but i can't believe how nobody has pointed out that Sweet Child O' Mine isn't a metal song.

But anyway try Metropolis Pt.1 by Dream Theater or another song i love playing is Where You Come From by Pantera, cool riff that never seems to get a mention in here
trivium-a gunshot to the head of trepidation
were all a bunch of brothers livin in a cool way along with 6 million others in a place called L.A. --out in L.A. by rhcp
The god that failed- Metallica
Blackwater park- Opeth
Falling snow-Agalloch
Heroes to us-Kalmah
Somebody someone-KoRn (new-metal I know, but still nice tune)
Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
Like Bassman said, anything by death. I love playing Zombie Ritual and Flesh and the Power It Holds. Also, basically any Maiden song, Phantom of the Opera being one of my favorites.
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
I love playing "Memphis Be Laid to Waste" by Norma Jean. Metalcore, blah, anyway, it's not hard at all, so it leaves you room to dance around, and get into the music.
steve harris is an amazing bassist so any iron maiden songs, phantom of the oprea is v ery good to learn. any cliff burton stuff aswell
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Opeth- The Moor

The Offspring- Pretty fly for a White Guy (shut up, its fun, although not metal by any standards... )

Trivium- Pull Harder on the Strings of Your Martyr (its really fun to play)

Judas Priest- Breaking The Law (really easy and really fun.)
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Quote by Applehead
Racer X - Scarified. Fast as ****, still cant nail it though

i just cant nail it because im not fast enough at right hand speed :P i can play it at 75% speed no problem (on guitarpro) but on the straight root runs of sixteenths, where i dont have the option of legato, im stuck cuz i just cant do it that fast
^ Ha, Manga, i cant nail it because i am not fast enough with my fretting hand !! my right hand is sweet. i guess i am about 75%ish too, but i dont use guitar pro. maybe i should. very hard song to nail though. I got a video of them playing it in the studio and the bassist is on fire man! i'll get it one day though if it kills me !!
Spheres of madness by decapitated. sure, its just following the kick drum, and one note (from what i can hear haha) but its still fun
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by Applehead
^ Ha, Manga, i cant nail it because i am not fast enough with my fretting hand !! my right hand is sweet. i guess i am about 75%ish too, but i dont use guitar pro. maybe i should. very hard song to nail though. I got a video of them playing it in the studio and the bassist is on fire man! i'll get it one day though if it kills me !!

I think its 'cause for a huge period (like starting 6 months into bass, until 3 months ago) i was focusing too much on right hand 3 finger (and a bit of 4), so my 2 finger became sloppy and slow.

I want to get it up to 16ths at 140 atleast.. unfortunately cleanly i can do around 110-120, ive actually gotten worse than like 10 months ago or w.e.. but the past few weeks have been looking up for me, im improving (well tbh, a month ago i could only get it to like 100-110 clean, now its anywhere between 110-130 consistently and cleanly, depending on how im doing that day, its actually a lot more dependant on how my day was than i at first thought :p
Page 1 of 2