I'm looking for good books on developing music theory and techniques. I'm planning on playing blues and jazz. I can read music profienciently but applying it to guitar is a harder task than trumpet. I would prefer if it came with a CD to play along but that is not necessary. It also doesn't have to apply to just guitar but that might be preferable. Any suggestions besides Mark Levine's book?
Dont want to sound like a dick, but with the time you took to type that you could have searched amazon and borders for jazz guitar books. I think that would be ur best bet to check out amazon, borders and barns and noble for the book.
Quote by OrderedChaos
Dont want to sound like a dick, but with the time you took to type that you could have searched amazon and borders for jazz guitar books. I think that would be ur best bet to check out amazon, borders and barns and noble for the book.

Ah come on, I think getting feedback from other musicians is a lot more important than searching random sites and hoping something good comes out.

Other than that, I think Mark Levine's Book should be enough.. Have you thought of William Leavitt's A Modern Method for Guitar? It makes you read notation like you're a concert violinist or something
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Quote by OrderedChaos

Thats what I've been doing but there are so many selections. I just want suggestions from other people that have actually used their books.
try out Micky Bakers books
i borrowed my teachers jazz one and it stated out with a bunch of jazz chords and exercises with them, then it showed u some scales and arpeggios then it went to melodies

great book!
Originally posted by skeptopotamus
Well, me and my lab of expert scienticians have created an ingenius device that will capture one's flatulence and transport it to a nearby foe's rectum, thus attributing any foul odors towards your enemies, mblavin.
If you want to play jazz proper you should know how to read notation. Pick up William Leavitt's A Modern Method for Guitar. It will teach you to sight read guitar.
Member #6 of the Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club. PM iamtehwalrus768 to join.
When it comes to flipping pancakes, it's better than burgers.
If you can read music well, then I'd take 'A Classical Approach to Jazz Piano- Exploring Harmony', by Dominic Alldis. It was particularly written for Piano, but I've found it extremely useful on my musical theory all around (especially bass and, of course, keyboard). I got it for $20.

Another good, but less in depth, book is 'An Understandable Guide to Music Theory: The Most USeful Aspects of Theory for Rock, Jazz, and Blues Musicians' by Chaz Bufe. This book touches briefly on all sorts of theory, and is much shorter than the aforementioned book. You can probably order it for $10.
try the advanced jazz ansemble book
i think its mel bay

Angus-
2010 Gibson SG Honeyburst
I'm a musician, a composer, and a theory nut. Pleased to meet you! Check out my websites and drop me a line.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website