What are pedal tones?
Are they just bass notes that are sustained with a chord progression?
Ahhhhhh!
It's the constant reference back to a single note within a passage. For example...

----10---9---10---7---10--------10---------10----
--------------------------------9----------8-----------
--------------------------------------------------------

In this case, D on the first string (the tenth fret) would be the pedal note. You'll hear a lot of this in neo-classical music. Listen to some Malmsteen.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Jun 22, 2006,
Quote by Archeo Avis
It's the constant reference back to a single note within a passage. For example...

----10---9---10---7---10--------10---------10----
--------------------------------9----------8-----------

In this case, D on the first string (the tenth fret) would be the pedal note. You'll hear a lot of this in neo-classical music. Listen to some Malmsteen.

I thought that was called droning notes? Correct me if I am wrong.

I thought Pedal notes were bass notes (on guitar) that were sustained under a set of notes.
^ Right, I think.

You'll also hear it in the bass sometimes, like a bass voice holding a note or playing one note repeatedly while the upper voices play over it. I think it gets its name from the pedal notes on an organ, but I could be wrong.
Quote by psychodelia
^ Right, I think.

You'll also hear it in the bass sometimes, like a bass voice holding a note or playing one note repeatedly while the upper voices play over it. I think it gets its name from the pedal notes on an organ, but I could be wrong.

The term has different meaning based on the intrument, and even then people use different terms to describe it. Technically, we're both right (or both wrong, if the glass is half empty)
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
I thought that was called droning notes? Correct me if I am wrong.

I thought Pedal notes were bass notes (on guitar) that were sustained under a set of notes.
I've never heard of a droning note, but it seems like the second thing you described would be a droning note.

Anyway, Archeo Avis is correct.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Jun 22, 2006,
Quote by bangoodcharlote
I've never heard of a dronong note, but it seems like the second thing you described would be a droning note.

Anyway, Archeo Avis is correct.

I saw it as a lesson on Steal This Video a while ago. Maybe I remembered incorrectly.
Quote by Archeo Avis
The term has different meaning based on the intrument, and even then people use different terms to describe it. Technically, we're both right (or both wrong, if the glass is half empty)

Yeah, I saw the thing you had in an Yngwie lesson (or something similar). In jazz band though its normally used to describe the thing I said, but I think we're both right, just a little different.
I always think of Droning note as pedal notes but with an open string...
-7--5--3--2--0--0--0
-8--7--3--3--2--0--0
-7--7--4--2--2--1--1
-0--0--0--0--2--2--2
-------------0--2--2
----------------0--0
(oh yeah, 2 bucks for whoever knows that riff, which is probably a million people)

But whatever. yeah, I always hear differently when talking of different instruments and whatever.
Last edited by wasp2020 at Jun 22, 2006,
Pedal tones are usually sustained/continued bass notes, probably 90% of the time, but they can happen anywhere. Any time a note establishes and then carries itself for a while it works pretty much like a pedal.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
drone notes is just another name for a pedal IMO

definition of a pedal note: a note that is repeated of sustained while the harmoney changes over it
Originally posted by greatdevourer
Dear Relationships Thread,
I am so sorry I've neglected you and have been so blind.
God_luvs_a_trya
A pedal tone is a note that is played for an entire phrase or passage, while other notes are played on top of it.

Droning notes are basically pedal tones expressed on the guitar by hitting open strings.
i've always referred to a droning note/tone as a note which is hit and held to have a sustaining effect where as a pedal tone is not held but played repeatedly.

drone example

A-----5/7-------8\7----
E-0---------0-----------

and the above example would be good for a pedal tone (post by archeo avis)
Quote by bass012
What are pedal tones?
A Pedal Tone is the fundamental, or lowest, tone a wind instrument is capable of producing.

A Pedal Point is a long-held note, normally in the bass, sounding with changing harmonies in the other parts.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.