I am interested in learning Neo-Classical music. Does anybody know any good sites or books i could get to help in the musical aspect of this. Throw me some good neo classical artists as well. And if you can give me some skills to master I would be very happy . Not sure if this is the right forum for it, but its the basics of neo-classical so .
Member # 2 of the Kiss Sucks and Has Too Much **** They Hock as Merchindise Club Pm DoTheEvolution to join.
ygnlwie malmsteen.

'nuff said.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Well uh, yeah... lol. Can anyone give me some techniques you use in neo-classical?
Member # 2 of the Kiss Sucks and Has Too Much **** They Hock as Merchindise Club Pm DoTheEvolution to join.
lol. everything.

playing 4zillion nps is most important though..

quite a bit of tapping, hammer ons and pull offs, so work on your legato.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

^ yeah that to.

neither am i, but i listen to a lot of it.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

I found a book that im going to buy soon that explains many thing of speed metal neo-classical, and thanks to steve vai's cross roads guitar duel i can pick much faster. I pretty much made a slight variation of the way he picks and i can pick way faster, and the tone is better.
I know this is a month old thread but better than making a new one.

So anyways, I just wondering what is the most used scales in Neo-Classical? I've heard the harmonic minor scale was used alot, anyone want to clarify this for me?
cromatics.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Yeah, I know, I wasn't planning on shredding, I dispise shredding, not because I can't do it, I just think it's kinda stupid. I mean music is suppose to be music. Not 100 notes a second. I just really like the sound of neo-classical, and I really want to learn Classical as well, but have no clue where to start... Also would it be better to learn Neo-Classical or Classical first?
lol

Neo-classical doesn't necessarily mean shred...

But Yngwie is a good artist suggestion.

As for techniques, learn sweeping (obviously doesn't have to be "4zillion nps), maybe some tapping & speed picking.

Also, and most importantly, learn to use the Harmonic minor scale. It's pretty much the basis of most neo-classical-sounding melodies/progressions.

The harmonic minor scale is basically the same as the minor scale:

l------------------------
l------------------5-7--
l----------5-7-8-------
l--5-7-8---------------

But incorporates what's called a #7 (sharp seventh) degree:

l------------------6-7--
l----------5-7-8-------
l--5-7-8---------------

transpose that to all the octaves (&/or modes) and u'll be on ur way to a neo-classical edge!
Last edited by Shreddin 4 Life at Jul 17, 2006,