Hi, I've been considering buying a new guitar and I finally decided on a telecaster (thanks to everyone who posted previously) but now another problem has arisen! Which telecaster should I buy??? There are so many, really my budget stretches to about £400 ($740, $820 CAD, ?590) so I think a standard is best but what the hell is the difference between them all?

What I really want to know is - is this guitar for me? I am an intermediate bedroom guitarist who will play anything but mainly rock/metal really. I would be playing it through a micro stack (Marshall MG15MSII), any advice people?!?!?
Last edited by Triggerishappy at Jun 22, 2006,
A Telecaster won't sound particularly good through a Marshall transistor. To me they are tube amp guitars, need the bright vibrant highs and bassy lows that can only be captured through a tube amp, a fender one for that matter.

I don't really think the guitar will be for you, especially without a humbucker, most sounds you will get will be uniquely clean, bright, twang sounds, more of a country or blues sound. The neck pickup is generally weak and low output, only for rhthym and doesn't sound good distorted/overdriven usually. If you try these out make sure to play it through your amp, or a Marshall MG atleast, don't let anyone selling it try to have you play it through a Fender Deluxe Reverb, because they will make the thing sparkle and it won't sound the same through a Transistor Marshall.

But, in terms of which tele is best go with a Fender American Telecaster, 950 USD new - 500 - 700 eBay price. They will have better pickups, hotter, higher output, less hum and sound brighter/fuller than the Standards, plus the standards sell for about 200-250 USD on eBay, you won't get much money back whereas an American will sell for up to 700 if it's mint. The wood won't be basswood either, it'll be solid alder or ash and won't be hollowed out (they claim its for better resonance but it just makes it cheaper, less wood.) Fretboards are generally smoother, but if you buy one new, make sure to check out the fretboard, smooth, soft rosewood or hard, soft maple is best. Maple tends to produce a brighter sound which, to me, is preferable on a Telecaster with two single coils. Rosewood will be a little bit darker, if you buy one with 1 or 2 humbuckers in it then rosewood is a good bet. Make sure to get the neck shape that you like, C necks are bigger, more like the 50's and 60's teles, if you have big hands or just like the round feel then they are great, if you have smaller hands and tend to "shred" V shapes are better, smaller and easier to work with, sometimes. Pick what feels most comfortable.
Yeah Dimebag is not the "Greatest Guitarist" of all time... Hendrix maybe... I must go get food to eat with my mouth

$250 for an amp? wow. is it worth it to invest that much in the amp?

Last edited by RPotts at Jun 22, 2006,
To be honest i think you souldn't get the Telecaster for one simpe reason:
You have a reallly bad amp. I had a Tele and it didnt sound to good when i played throug my then Solid State amp, but sounded great through a tube amp. So for you id say instead get a tube amp.

What stuff do you play?
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
thank you so much RPotts, some seriously good advice ther, exactly what I needed, to gabel, I play pretty much anything, I like to play Jimi Hendrix stuff, Metallica stuff and a fair amount of Muse
^Ok. A Tele on its own can easly do Hendrix, but a Tele without humbuckers can't really do Metallica to well. Teles aren't to great with distortion (unless you have a humbucker in it), so for you id say instead get a Fat Strat (with a humbucker in the bridge).

But instead id say buy a new amp. If you had a Tele it wouldn't shine trough your Marshall MG. So id say buy something like a Laney LC-30, its quite versatile and sounds really good and withan Overdrive it should easly do Metallica (well i actully got a decent Metallica tone out of an LC-15R without an Overdrice). Amp is 90% of your tone so a new amp is alot better idea and then buy a new guitar later on.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

well i do already have a vintage vs6 sg copy which, through my carlsbro scorpion l amp sounds awesome playing metallica so i really want this guitar for the lighter and bluesy stuff
Get a new amp first (a tube amp, to be precise). You should look at the '72 Deluxe reissue. Humbuckers would better suit your musical styles and you still maintain the tele look (except the '72 Deluxe has a Strat headstock). Plus, if you like Muse you probably like Radiohead and Thom Yorke plays a '72 Deluxe so you kinda know what it sounds like, albeit through a kickass rig.
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
^Everything. (and yes i have tried one)

But if you have to go for a Tele id say you can might as well get a Standard Tele (since youll use it for lighter stuff).

But i still stand at the opinoin of getting a new amp (and more or less everyody here will).
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Triggerishappy
btw, this is to everyone - WHAT IS THE PROBLEM WITH THE MICRO STACK?!?!???!?

1st-it's an MG
2nd-it's a micro stack

I'm sure it serves it's purpose as far as bedroom practicing goes but the Tele is reknowned for its cleans, which wouldn't shine through an MG micro stack.
ok fair enough but like i said i would only use the amp for bedroom use and perhaps playing with friends so nothing special is needed and also I haven't got tons of cash AND it looks reli cool
I've never liked new telecasters. They sound best when they've got a bit of age on them. I have a 26 year old squier telecaster and it sounds better than any of the standard telecasters Old ones can be pretty expensive but I'd recommended getting a well played second hand one
Quote by Triggerishappy
ok fair enough but like i said i would only use the amp for bedroom use and perhaps playing with friends so nothing special is needed and also I haven't got tons of cash AND it looks reli cool

You could sell it and put that cash and some of the guitar money towards a nice Fender Blues Junior. Small enough for bedroom practicing and all tube.
Quote by YoungPilgrim
You could sell it and put that cash and some of the guitar money towards a nice Fender Blues Junior. Small enough for bedroom practicing and all tube.

Yeah.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

but why do i need tube that badly??? I am only a bedroom guitarist, i have a laney 10watt atm and that seems ok but its not got enough gain thats the only reason I am gettin a new one.
Because your Marshall microstack is a piece of **** and the new guitar will sound bad played through it, bedroom player or not.
^Calm down, he's just saying that the micro stack isn't an amazing amp.... and he's true, any guitar will sound better through a good amp, and not the other way round really.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
how often does a guy call som1 a c,unt
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
but anyway i'd get a new amp mabey the peavey classic 30 or blues jnr
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
Quote by Triggerishappy
well thanks very much you total ****

Well he's right, so calm down please! Even if your a bedroom guitarist a new amp is gonna be alot better in every situation.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

well i do agree that the amp is just as if not more important than the guitar but ther is nothing wrong with the micro stack, perhaps ther is 2 u lot hu r used 2 tube amps but 2 me who is used to a 10 watt laney and a 10 watt squier amp a micro stack is f*uckin awesome! Btw I call people a c unt all the time, its kinda my word and isnt really that offensive 2 me - soz to ne1 who feels it is.
OK, I've just been looking and I found a Burns Brian May Red Special replica which is £415 so is in my price range, anyone got any advice or comments on these bearing in mind what i play and my current equipment etc.
Around $3 dollars worth of bus fares and then 3.99 bucks of a pack of 6 picks which then i lost it on my way home (Why the heck did i reject the plastic bag anyway??).
Gear:
Black Jackson Dinky 2
Peavey Envoy 110
and that's it.
I played a std tele through a roland and fender amp and it sounds amazing (thx to the amp). but the marshall it didnt get wat i desired, the tele is good for cleans and no way its gonna sound good through ur marshall micro stack. MG micro stack is a pretty bad amp to be playing anything through.

if u want a good guitar, get a SZ ibanez.
and a MESA/BOOGIE.

btw, grow up and act mature if you want good advice. beggers cant be choosers.
Guitars... *drools uncontrollably*
Last edited by GeneraLNinja at Jun 22, 2006,
Definitely get a new amp first then after that if you still want a tele go for either the 72 Telecaster Deluxe or the Telecaster Custom.
Member #15 of the I Love Hayley Williams Club PM Gibson_SG_uzr55 to Join

EMO DEFENDER #10

i love you dude! (in a non-gay way)