Page 1 of 2
i've been on the website, but i haven't found an answer, so i thought i'd ask here. how do the guitarists from dragonforce get that nintendo feeling to their playing? one part im especially talking about is the solo in through the fire and flames, when sam solos for the first time and he taps, it sounds real weird and old-nintendoish.

i was wondering if he used an effect to get that pimpin sound of just loads of distortion.

thanks
I know he uses Ibanez S Prestige guitars. That's all I know actually. :p
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
they both use whammy pedals, just look at their gear on DF's website
if you dont know what a piece of equipment is then google it
[Member of the Ibanez S Players Club.] Pm striketalonx to join

Ibanez SA1260
Ibanez RGA8 w/DiMarzio PAF8s
Ibanez JS1200CA
Ibanez S470IB w/DiMarzio Tonezone (Bridge)
Laney LC50 Mark II
Boss ME-70
they also use marshall jmp preamps im pretty sure. Rack units , whammy pedals. Fuk dragonforce is so damn good!
thats not the effects im talking about. im talking about when sam is soloing, and he taps, and it sounds like something from the behond with like, echoes and stuff. what effect is used on that?
that video is awesome, thanks for the link, I am soooo learning the Pac-Man Noise...
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
dude its not the guitar its a synth
Gear:

Crafter FX550 EQL
Ibanez SA260FML

THD Univalve
Framus FR-212 Cab (Celestion Vintage 30's)

Dunlop Crybaby

Started playing May 28th 2005
^ Check out the link to the video posted earlier
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
really? Ok sorry it sounds like a synth to me, sorry
Gear:

Crafter FX550 EQL
Ibanez SA260FML

THD Univalve
Framus FR-212 Cab (Celestion Vintage 30's)

Dunlop Crybaby

Started playing May 28th 2005
^lmao
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Gibson_Left
herman li could shred yngwie into the ground...he's like the only reason i like shred

umm, no. he's fast and all, but yngwie is faster, and better. his tone is also better.

basicaly yngwie>herman
uhm...dude i'm not talking about how fast he is....yngwie is faster, but all his **** is boring and sounds the same....Herman Li's stuff is freakin epic

and his tone pwns yngwie's
I love the Pacman stuff herman does
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Gibson_Left
uhm...dude i'm not talking about how fast he is....yngwie is faster, but all his **** is boring and sounds the same....Herman Li's stuff is freakin epic

and his tone pwns yngwie's

i'm sorry, but i beleive 27 '71 super lead marshalls sound better than a nintendo.
i'll admit that he overuses the A harmonic minor scale, but none of his song are the same, and he is really diverse playing blues and all.

also, why not include sam? he is just as good as herman, if not better. at least his hair doesn't look like a pony that was tranformed into an asian guitar god.

herman's noise own.
dude seein that asian dude jump and shred onstage i think is better than watching a bloated, fat alcoholic douchebag with a huge ego (yngwie) by a long shot
Quote by Gibson_Left
dude seein that asian dude jump and shred onstage i think is better than watching a bloated, fat alcoholic douchebag with a huge ego (yngwie) by a long shot

i don't watch, i listen.

and do you seriously think anyone owns up to how medieval (or whatever) yngwie dresses?
he also has a cool accent.
Quote by Gibson_Left
meh i'd rather see a live performance than listen to it

mehh, at a live performance, i like to see fireworks or something. when you go to a concert, you know the ppl are going to play guitar or whatever. they won't come out on stage playing the clarinet. plus the faces yngwie makes when he's onstage are just plain funny. and he kicks air like no other.....lol
Just kind of taking a wild guess, but even though it doesn't list it on Herman's bio, but if you take flanger, chorus and phaser pedals and use them in unison, you can get some pretty wild synth sounds. Or then again, you could just buy a Line 6 FM-4.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
The FM-4 is a pretty crazy pedal, but beware, you probably wouldn't find practical applications for it. If you have money to burn, go ahead and get it.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
Quote by Ambulance X
The FM-4 is a pretty crazy pedal, but beware, you probably wouldn't find practical applications for it. If you have money to burn, go ahead and get it.

what to you mean practiacal application? like, i won't be able to use it all the time or something?
Quote by jpetrucci5655
i've been on the website, but i haven't found an answer, so i thought i'd ask here. how do the guitarists from dragonforce get that nintendo feeling to their playing? one part im especially talking about is the solo in through the fire and flames, when sam solos for the first time and he taps, it sounds real weird and old-nintendoish.

i was wondering if he used an effect to get that pimpin sound of just loads of distortion.

thanks

I think it's just the scales and modes he's using, not equipment...
wtf. i'm not talking about his playing. im talking the sound he gets. i don't know how playing scales and modes get you nintendo sounds.
Herman owns Yngwie in many ways

Herman looks cooler than Yngwie
Herman is fitter than the fatty (yngwie)
Yngwie is boring, he is only good for the first few minutes, then it gets boring, whereas Herman is very innovative, pacman noise, elephant, motorbike etc etc.
herman has better hair than yngwie
Yngwie is an arrogant fatass who thinks he is too good to talk to other amateur guitarists, whereas Herman is a nice guy who thinks he is a mortal and equal.
Quote by jpetrucci5655
they won't come out on stage playing the clarinet.

one day, at a concert I will play claRin37tz for you. I already play saxophone

Btw, Heramn and Sam both use Laneys according to their website. It might just be for palying live though not sure.
Although this thread was a while ago, I dunno if you are still interested. Live, I believe Herman Li now uses a mesa boogie preamp and either marshall or peavey cabs, however these wont help with trying to match their studio sound.

The rocktron prophecy is what they mainly use for the solo sound, combined with ibanez S guitars.

Anyhow, video game sounds, it is not one thing but many, a lot of things are not just used by dragonforce, but they are more well known for it.

Whammy pedals as mentioned earlier can give a video game sound, and it has some harmony effects that are quite frequently used by Herman and Sam too. An octave effect can make most lead guitar passages sound somewhat video game-ish, The intro leads of Soldiers of the Wasteland and Operation Ground and Pound are two good examples. (Note they also have another guitar doing a harmony a third lower.

This is also one reason why they can't match their studio sound live, they can't run over to a whammy pedal, change the setting, run away, come back, turn it on, solo in front of the crowd, turn it off... it is too much trouble.

Also, sliding your pick up the treble strings (towards the body) gets a laser gun sorta noise which they use a lot, and then there are just lots of harmonies (usually perfect 5ths, sometimes 4ths and 3rds) and then they just use a high gain distortion with plenty of treble. Although you could also get some interesting sounds using a neck pickup depending on the guitar... Well hopefully this information will help a little if you still care, if not, maybe someone else will find it useful.
Page 1 of 2