Page 1 of 2
Well I finished my A2 exams on Tuesday and I thought I'd treat myself to some more stuff as I haven't bought anything in a long time

I bought the following:

- Epiphone Valve Junior (Grrr hasn't come yet )
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700 (Cheap, but I need an EQ to go with my VJ, and it seemed to get good enough reviews, not bothered that it's made out of plastic TBH.)
- Steel slide (slide guitar looks fun)
- New Capo (proper one not the crappy tie over one that doesn't fit my LP)
- New Planet Waves cable (I need another one, and I decided to go for a good'en as I've wasted a lot of money on crap ones over the years)
- Daisy chain (to power my new pedals)
- Patch cables (to link my new pedals )
- New stand (I'm tired of resting my guitar on my bed )

Well I didn't have to say everything, but hey.

Anyway at the moment I'm yet to receive my amp (the original and most important thign I wanted - typical ) and my capo and slide.

I'll post some sound clips when my VJ comes but at the moment I'm using the two pedals with my Cube and getting some really nice sounds. Can anyone give me tips on some EQ settings to try?

Sorry if this post counts as spam, I'm just happy at the moment and I thought I'd share the love. I've attached some pics with the post. Some of them are completely pointless, but hey enjoy 'em
Attachments:
two_pedals.jpg
group_shot.jpg
mmm_packages.jpg
guitar_pedals.jpg
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Woo!
Nice LP! How long did they say delivery would take for the VJ?

And...of course, how much did all this cost?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I was surprised at how quickly most stuff came. I got some from GAK, some from Musicianshop.com and some from eBay. The eBay, Musicianshop and 3 of the GAK things came today (having ordered either late tuesday night). The VJ I got from GAK and they said it would come with all the other stuff. I assume it will come without fail tomorrow (with the capo and slide hopefully!)

I was careful with what I bought - altho it may not seem like it :p - but it came to just under £250 inc. P+P all together.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
did u get the head or combo?

and the epi amp line sells out really quickly, i think it took a couple weeks until mine was in stock. but it was worth it. i use it everyday.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
did u get the head or combo?

and the epi amp line sells out really quickly, i think it took a couple weeks until mine was in stock. but it was worth it. i use it everyday.

The combo, the head isn't available in the UK (yet). But I was happy with getting the combo since it saved me having to buy a cab with it. GAK didn't say it was sold out, but I guess it's a possibility. I'll update tomorrow if it arrives.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
hey, could you tell us about the valveking when you get it. its on my list of amps to consider
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

^ I'm getting the Epiphone Valve Junior - is that what you meant to say? Or did you confuse it with the Valve King?
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
oh, i thouht you said vk. just forget it
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

cool stuff dude! i sorta wish i had bought a VJ now instead of my Blues Junior, im not pushing the blues enough to get the good break up casue its to loud for my bedroom. Anyways how is musicianshop.com service? i love there guitar demos, the guy who does them is such a geek!
......keeping down the underground
^Yea Blues Jrs are a bit too loud to crank at home, but when you're at a band practice or something......
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by razz the kid
cool stuff dude! i sorta wish i had bought a VJ now instead of my Blues Junior, im not pushing the blues enough to get the good break up casue its to loud for my bedroom. Anyways how is musicianshop.com service? i love there guitar demos, the guy who does them is such a geek!

Lol, yeh I like watching the videos too

The service is very good in my opinion. First class and free delivery which is always a bonus. I've ordered two things from them, both of which came pretty much the next day, or the day after, depending on when I'd ordered them.

I hope my Valve Junior comes tomorrow With that said, I'm enjoying playing with my two pedals on my Cube, I'm getting some really nice sounds out of it considering all I've heard about Overdrives on Solid state amps. I can't wait to see how it sounds on my Epi (when it eventually gets here).
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Good news is my Valve Junior came today.

Bad news is I hate it

Seriously, here's the story. First, I tried it in my bedroom, had it on about a quarter volume; realised it was actually pretty loud (and there were other people in the house... revising). It was a pleasant clean sound, but that was about it.

I live on a farm so I thought I'd take advantage of this and took all my stuff outside into one of the sheds up the farm. I cranked it... and played.

Oh My God. Seriously, I hated it! And that's not an understatement. It was a horrible, screechy tone not too dissimilar to my Fender Frontman's Distortion. It was buzzy and every note I played I cringed. And I'm like - "what the hell??". I even put my OD-3 in front of it, which I've enjoyed playing through my Cube, but into the Valve Junior and literally made it worse

HELP! Anyone else own one of these and hates the natural overdrive? Is it this amp I don't like or valve break-up in particular that I just don't have a taste for? Seriously, if someone doesn't suggest something it's going back to GAK tomorrow.

Sorry for the metal outburst but I'm a little disappointed to put it lightly.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
I heard the speakers in the Vj combos are ****. Try hooking it up to a cab.
Ibanez SZ 520
Ibanez Rg270 dx
crate Gt200 Tube/Solid Hybrid
Soon to be- Peavey ultra 60 tube head
ClassicAxe-"Jackson doesn't make Soloists so Emo kids can come and sing about slitting their wrists.They make quality guitars."
^ TBH I can't see it making a whole lot of difference. Can a different speaker actually make a world of difference? It seems like the general sound is just not nice.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Well what did you expect it to sound like? Like what kind of sound were you going for? I mean come on...its a 5watt, 8" speaker combo.

I guess you could change out the tube (tubes?), and swap out the stock speaker for a Celestion 8" speaker...that would help a ton.
Quote by SamDking
^ TBH I can't see it making a whole lot of difference. Can a different speaker actually make a world of difference? It seems like the general sound is just not nice.

Yes a speaker can change the sound like you wouldnt even believe.
It's a class-a amp, seems you were expecting a Marshall sound but it's a different type of amp. There are mods you can do to the VJ to change its tone, or just try different settings on your guitar and pedals.
I guess I could try the speaker upgrade. It's just I've read on HC about people saying they're getting great sounds out of it, straight out of the box, just plugging straight into it.

I'm not quite sure what sound I was expecting to get in my head. I guess I wanted a more smooth lead sound, especially with an OD added. But all I was getting was harsh sound that didn't really sound good for anything.

Is it the speaker that's doing this, do you thinK? Because Jenny seems pleased with hers and she's got the head version, and someone else posted a thread about a week ago saying how much they like their new VJ head. Maybe it needs a 12inch speaker.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
If you want a 12in speaker get a Vintage 30
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
^ I'll bear that in mind, but if I get a speaker I'd be looking for an 8" to fit in the current casing. Do they even do any decent 8" speakers?
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Once the stock speaker is broken in it might sound a bit better too.
...Bleep Bloop...
^ Yeh that's a good point. I might still hang on to it for a few days and decide whether to return it or not.

Edit - I've come to the conclusion that the amp has too much of a 'vintage' sound for me and it turns out that isn't the kind of sound I'm going for.

I'm looking at the Fender Blues Junior at the moment (3x the price but hey ). I was wondering what sorta tone this thing has? Is the overdrive on Fender amps more modern?

I found with the Epi Valve that even with an overdrive it still sounds far too rough and classic rock'esque.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Last edited by SamDking at Jun 23, 2006,
The combos suck ass, and are noisy. They fixed both those issues on the head.
yeah, i never tried the combo. which is why i asked which one u got in my other post.

i think the head is a completely different animal. im guessing they havent fixed their "hum" problem.
ive got mine running thru a 50w mg speaker. and yes, its an mg but its not some $30 combo speaker.

i think there is no way i would pump money into it.
i would return it, at their cost. contact them first. and spend the extra money on a blues jr or some other valve amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

^ They've fixed the noise issues on the combo now, how else does it suck ass? (I'm actually interested, I'm not being sarcastic).

And for anyone interested I made a short recording of my VJ. Volume set at 2'o clock ish, controlling the amount of gain with the volume on my guitar.

http://samdking.dmusic.com - Apologies of the crapness of the recording and playing, but at least it gives you an idea of the sound. I just can't get used to the overdrive at all, I'm seriously considering returning the amp.

Oh and if it isn't on my dmusic yet, it will be on there in a minute, it's just uploading.

Edit - Electrik, I just noticed you have a Valve Junior - how do you like it? Oh and the first message was directed at you, not Jenny - she posted in between
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Last edited by SamDking at Jun 23, 2006,
well i heard they Had fixed the problem. but i guessed maybe u had gotten an "old" one, because u mentioned some noise.
mine is silent. (unless i run my basement dimmer light) i notice, its very sensitive to outside sources, more so than my other amps, so i just shut everything i dont need off.

as for why it would suck ass? i dont know. maybe the speaker really is crap.

http://www.valvejunior.com/

in case u havent seen this yet.^
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Jun 23, 2006,
Ok my dmusic clip is up now. I've cranked it again and what I've realised is really annoying is when I'm on near full volume there's this really annoying buzzing. It litterally sounds like bees in a can - how MGs are described. Not AT ALL how I imagined a crank valve amp would sound like.

At first I thought this was just a"vintage" tone as I'd read on the HC reviews that's somewhat of an acquired taste. But the more I play on it, the more I think this can't be right. Now I'm not sure if this actually the hum people are talking about or whether this is the sound this amp makes.

I guess the only way I can find out is to play one of the heads, but they aren't available in the UK what a predicament I'm in.

Jenny, any chance you can whip up a small clip of your VJ cranked? I refuse to believe that mine sounds right.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
u can rig ur epi up to a combo speaker. maybe something bigger. see if its just the speaker crapping out on you.

i think i can get a clip up tonight, im kind of busy today.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Well based on the clip, I'd say thats how its supposed so sound, although you dont have anything recorded with the volume at full do you?

Anyways, I hear the sweet spot is around 2:30 on the volume. As well, try swapping some tubes and stuff, but maybe its just not for you. After all, you can polish a turd as much as you want, but in the end, its just a polished up turd, if thats not the sound you want.
Maybe his speaker isnt broken in yet because new speakers always tend to be stiff an sound like ****.....when i got my head, the cabinet i have has a celestion G12k 75T in it and it sounded like someone has stuffed the speaker with foam for the first hour i played it, then it got much better and now i play that thing for at least an hour everday, balancing between my other amp of course.
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
^ Yeh that's why I was interested to see what a gain \/\/hore like yourself thinks about it.

I mean the sound of it is pretty classic rock, but to me it's just not a usable sound. I'm just about to upload a clip of it on full volume.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Last edited by electrik at Jun 23, 2006,
Thanks electrik. I guess it's just not for me.

Out of interest, and for future reference, Marshalls have EL34's right? What tubes do Fender (Hot Rod), Orange (Rockerverb) and Mesa (Rectifiers) have? Or rather, what is best in them? What are they known for? If you understand my question.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Yeah, generally speaking Marshalls have EL34s, Voxs have EL84s, Fenders have 6l6s. Mesas have 6l6s, but can be changed with EL34s. Oranges can have a variety of tubes in them. And there are varients to each of those, like E34Ls, 6V6s, KT88s, etc.
I had a hunch Vox's were EL84s. Thanks for the other info.

Also, how much of an impact do tubes have on the amps sound? Is it the most important factor? For example, swap out the EL34s on a Marshall and it won't sound like a Marshall? Or are there more deciding factors that determine the sound of an amp?
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Wait a mo....

Remember that it takes a while for new speakers to break in, so when it's broken in, it'll sound a lot better, give it more time, play on it more, then in a few days it might sound better.
Don't be afraid to care"

Page 1 of 2