I just got into Soul music lately. Otis Redding and Joe Cocker are my favorites right now. Anyone else in here listen to much soul music? What are your favorites?
I really enjoy Joe Cocker - he has a really special voice, and if you ever watch him you can see the emotion he puts into his singing.

I really like his album "With a Little Help from My Friends", on which Jimmy Page sessioned, but I also like the "Mad Dogs and Englishmen" album, too.

I have quite a bit of Otis Redding around the house, but I haven't listened to him much.
Al Green's the Man

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
Sam and dave
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
I love it.
Of course there are the classics like Marvin Gaye, Otis Redding, Aretha Franklin, Al Green, Sade... some Prince ballads fit in this category as well.

But my all-time favorite soul song is Inside my love by Minnie Riperton. That's the smoothest, sexiest song ever recorded

And a couple of recent(ish) songs that i recommend:

D'Angelo - Untitled (how does it feel?)
Corinne Bailey Rae - Till it happens to you
Lauryn Hill - The ex-factor
Anthony Hamilton - Clearly
Jill Scott - A long walk
Erykah Badu - Orange moon
Amel Larrieux - Infinite possibilities

Too bad not much is going on in soul and R&B anymore. Most of it is some pretty girl oversinging over corny hiphop beats. There's no subtlety, the sexy has been drained out completely (musically)... it's like black people forgot how to sing or something. These people are constantly singing at full volume, hitting 23 notes a second to camouflage the fact that they can't really sing. Terrible. What a shame.

The only people currently active in this type of music who are consistently good are Corinne Bailey Rae and Anthony Hamilton, imho. D'Angelo made two great soul records a while ago that showed a lot of promise, but he seems to have retired except for the occasional half-assed guest spot.

But if anyone can recommend something, please do
If you want a great contemporary band, Robert Randolph and the Family Band does a great stye of R&B/Soul/Rock/Blues fusion... really good stuff.
Looking for my India/Django.
Quote by redwing_suck
If you want a great contemporary band, Robert Randolph and the Family Band does a great stye of R&B/Soul/Rock/Blues fusion... really good stuff.

Yeah they're good. I would consider them funk though.
Eddie Floyd

(I'm surprised no one said Aretha Franklin? Amazing singer just...blahlah)

Aretha Franklin

oope, someone did mention her.

THANKS DAN!

anyway, i second aretha
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Last edited by meh! at Jun 23, 2006,
Al Green
Marvin Gaye
Stevie Wonder (how can you not like the guy)
Aretha Franklin
Curtis Mayfield
The Impressions
Otis Redding
The Temptations

the list goes on

'tis life
Ray Charles
Curtis Mayfield
Jerry Butler
Ike and Tina Turner
The O'jays
The Originals
Im ashamed no one said Wilson Pickett
UG Blues Mafia
Founding Members: Forklifterer, Steve Cropper, Crzyrckgtrst28, and TNfootballfan62

Member of the Anti-Whammy-Bar-Solo Club
blues brothers, commitments, john lee hooker are my favourites
Guitars gear
Fender Nashville Telecaster
Vox AD30 Valvetronix
Zoom 707 multi effects
- Wilson Pickett (who is responsible for one of my all-time favorite songs with his version of Hey Jude, with Duane Allman on guitar)
- Marvin Gaye
- Stevie Wonder

And Robert Randolph is very good too, awesome slide guitar.
I forgot to mention Ray Charles. I like his cover of John Lennon's "imagine
' more than the original. He has such a powerful voice. I also dig the temptations a lot. They're fun.
Jonny Lang has some good R&B songs.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster