Why do some guitarists slide their hand down the fretboard before starting a new lick while soloing? Is this a technique that I should know?
Quote by Dæmönika
I'm afraid of you...MDoggDX316phobia

Quote by Imperial
Yes, Master MDoggDX316

Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: The Hype Man of the UG Hip
Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati
its just a 'slide'. slididng from one note to another is just anoother way of getting from one note to the next, it just mixes things up a bit, makes them a bit more interesting.
^Ok thanks. I have been so confused about that for a while because I see so many people do it and it doesn't seem to serve a real purpose.(unless someone can tell me otherwise)
Quote by Dæmönika

Quote by Imperial
Yes, Master MDoggDX316

like JB2500 said, its called a slide.
It connects too notes together and if you do it right, it sounds cool, and its a nice bridge between parts of a song.
Been away, am back
I think he means when between a rhythm and lead section the guitarist flashes their hand down to like the 20th fret, but makes no/little noise, then returns to the nut area. It's just flash to make yourself look like a better guitarist.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
^That is exactly what I mean.
Quote by Dæmönika

Quote by Imperial
Yes, Master MDoggDX316

or sometimes they do that to mute all excess noise before moving on...you don't want your low e to be ringing like a mother f***er when you're trying to solo
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
They just do that before solos to mute strings and look cool before they start playing the solo.
Quote by hamish5178
I think he means when between a rhythm and lead section the guitarist flashes their hand down to like the 20th fret, but makes no/little noise, then returns to the nut area. It's just flash to make yourself look like a better guitarist.

Lol I do that aaaaall the time. Personally I just do it because if I've got a couple of spare beats, I can't be arsed to keep my arm stretched out to the side - when you relax it just naturally comes in towards your body. And then when you pick the song up again ... y'know ... it's just something that happens naturally and it also looks kinda cool too.
Its just something to do. Ever hear people count of "1-2-1-2-3-4!" before a song? Its kinda like that...no real significance. And as far as learning it...just fret a note nice and high and slide it down fast. Its insanely easy.
:stickpoke

Baby, if I were biscuits and you were gravy, I'd sop you up

FIGHT IGNORANCE

"I fear for my flesh, but I fear for my spirit even more..."