I'm not sure whether this has been covered before but forgive my ignorance cause i'm only new to these boards :P

Valvekign is more in my price range then the 6505 and in Australia the price difference is quite massive. I play a crap lot of metallica but also like to play nice clean stuff like chili peppers occasionally for a change.

I hear the 6505 is amazing for gain but then apparently the valveking has quite a bit of gain too and the 6505 seems to even have too much to be utilized.

I'll save up for the 6505 if I have to but it might mean sacrificing my Cab options.
You are going to be better off going with the 6505 if you are barely going to be using the cleans. The cleans are just mediocre, but that can be fixed with some chorus and you will be fine. The Valveking is more of a classic rock amp. It doesn't have nearly as much gain as the 5150/6505. You would need a lot of overdrive to get it even near the 6505 if at all possible.
cheers. also this has been asked many times with the majority of answers being avatar but avatar don't make cabs in aus, so what's a suitable pairing or should i just get a peavey cab?
Carvin Legacy 212 or 412 are pretty damn good. They are loaded with Celestion Vintage 30's and the 412 is only like $550US.
the difference in price between the plus and the regular 6505 is about 900 australian dollars which i can either buy a crap car for or a really nice cab. big big difference. The American's seem to enjoy their ability to purchase heaps of equipment and sell it cheap whilst the rest of the world gets ripped off by dealers.
We get ripped on plenty of stuff too dude...dont worry.

Get the 6505..or a 5150 on ebay....
used 5150 combo.

'nuff said.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
06-22-2006, 11:10 AM
the difference in price between the plus and the regular 6505 is about 900 australian dollars which i can either buy a crap car for or a really nice cab. big big difference. The American's seem to enjoy their ability to purchase heaps of equipment and sell it cheap whilst the rest of the world gets ripped off by dealers.

Try a $1300 difference in Trinidad & Tobago buddy...lol

6505 are not really greater than Valvekings. They just have a little more gain.
Nothing you can't fix with a boost.
Besides, only a little less than 3/4 of the gain is usable on the 6505.
Any more than that and you get a lot of noise. And Plenty guys still boost their 6505's
The tone between the two is the only real difference to me.
Valvekings are brighter, cut through the mix much better, smoother and less muddy to me.
People just bash them because 6505's are supposedly industry standard for metal.
Last edited by exxx at Jun 14, 2010,
To be honest a Valve King may be better for you. For Thrash metal and cleans the VK is going to be better than the 6505, a VK with a nice OD and a decent EQ and maybe a tube swap and you'll be fine.