So I think I have a problem, I used to be so open-minded when listening to music but these days all i can listen to is Dragon Force! I think I was totally brainwashed when I saw them play in Australia a month ago and can't release the wanted demon

Seriously how hard is their rhythm to play? I know the solos are ridiculously hard (Can anyone here play them?) but say are they more difficult and complex than the rhythm from Slayer songs?

Can anyone suggest a method they've used to build themselves up to be able to play such songs as these? i.e gradually learning more and more difficult songs or playing the same song 60bpm for 8 hours a day?

hahaha I really need to start listening to something else BUT I JUST CANT! Maybe when I finally get to brush Herman's hair I will be free from their spell.........
hahahaha...o-kay!
lol, when I saw Dragonforce play....I cudn't stop laughing....they're ridiculous....incredible technique n speed....but that's it......they have no musicality.....so monotonous.....
"DiSuSe"
Quote by disuse_PUNK
hahahaha...o-kay!
lol, when I saw Dragonforce play....I cudn't stop laughing....they're ridiculous....incredible technique n speed....but that's it......they have no musicality.....so monotonous.....

there fast and good on there insturments thats it
there is actually some good melodies in dragonforce...

ive not heard much of them, but every now and then there is some really good...what did u say..."musicality"....

and they really are awesome live

really repetative music tho....and the guitarist seem like dicks...got really fat egos...

that Sam..the other guitarist says he doesnt even practice...playing the stuff live is enough to keep him good....

and all they seem to care about is groupies
I agree with all comments about Dragonforce. It's all fast, and it's all the same. Kinda lame.

But anyway, I like to spend an entire practice session playing at higher speeds (around 200 bpm). When you get to the end of your playing session, it won't feel like you were playing all that fast. It works especially well for the next time you practice. You'll be used to playing at a speed (say 200 bpm), and the next time you practice, try doing it at 210 or 215 so you can get used to that. That seems to work for me.

Good luck
I don't like Dragon force either....
There's no phrasing in the solos.... It's just like playing blindly all exercises...
theyre good, very good, speed is amazing
but check out some nevermore
go buy this godless endeavor
it'll hopefully start you to open up your mind, i can send you some songs off it if you want, PM me or something
its mad riffage, loomis=god of shred
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
ya, I just downloaded Cry For Eternity Powertab, and the rhythm is pretty straightforward, I consider slayers rhythm much more amazing, but theres still much better bands.

the leads were excellent, I dunno what everyone is saying, these guys are great musicians.

anyways, ya the best way to get good at guitar its to practise things slow, at least with your left hand, The slower you play with the left, the fast it will be able to later.

with your right, its important to practise slowly, and accurately just like with the left, but also to give your arm enough strength to really pick fast.
High Templar of the UG Secret Society
PM SickMetal or Sanitarium24 to join.
aNOMaly
those guys are crazy, but i dont know how much feeling they put into their music. It doesnt seem like a lot. Im not sure about the other guitarist, but Herman Li seems pretty cool..theres a video on YouTube about him doing some stuff. Go to youtube and type in 'Herman Li effects' and there will be a video with cool effects that he does. He doesnt seem like a dick, but im not sure about the other guy.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Yeah I have had a good stint listening to Nevermore but I don't get into his solos, hahah I think I'm so obsessed with Dragonforce solos cuz I believe they inject a really fun aspect into their solos, leading me to reminice when I was addicted to 32 bit video games as a youngling Fast shredding for the sake of just fast shredding dosen't do it for me, I find it impressive but it doesn't touch the heart for me if anyone knows what I mean.

So slow playing is the way to go? I did once have an 8 hour stint playing Angel of Death at around 40bpm, playing each bar 12 times and repeating, I found that even after that one day my rhythm endurance improved a great deal! I get bored sometimes just playing scales and such, does anyone have that problem? Perhaps that is what will always hinder me in my aspirations as a guitar goddess cuz it seems the Vai and Li type people can do that kind of practice and persevere...... ahhh well
Quote by disuse_PUNK
hahahaha...o-kay!

just becuase its fast doesnt mean its not musical. Infact i think they are really great guitarists and just becuase they can play better then you doesnt mean they have no musicallity. I think you need to get ur facts straight and stop calling things not music becuase its just really really fast the whole way through.
meow :3
I just wish someone for once can actually define what they are saying, stating something is not musical has to be backed up for credibility!

Not musical in what sense?? In general good taste? Lack of emotion? I've seen a lot of people just throw this statement around without backing it up!!
Dragonforce are pretty decent live, although their music is really repetative because it's just fast, fast and more fast most of the time....and after 3 albums of that you kinda expect them to calm down but it hasn't happened yet.

As for trying to play their stuff you wanna focus on your stamina and dexterity in both hands as well as getting a basic knowledge of tapping, sweeping, alt picking and pinched harmonics...the thing with Dragonforce is alot of their stuff is just simple things played really fast....

And if you're obssesed with Dragonforce try checking out better bands like Rhapsody, Luca Turilli, Helloween, Edguy, Stratovarious, Avantasia, Firewind, Symphony X, Sonata Arctica...as they're all power metally-proggy and shred but without being repetative.
'If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the Universe' - Carl Sagan.
hello dame-sixstring! i think i remember you from somewhere

check some dragonforce power/pro tabs, the rhythms arnt hard to play save for the high speed. its mainly speed picking single notes with occational power chords.

id suggest to keep practising 16th notes with a metronome to get your picking hand up to speed!

EDIT: oh and with regards to slayer's rhythm guitar, dragonforce are faster (though there is a a 214bpm riff in Raining blood which is inhuman) but way simpler in terms of notes and timing.

i think.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Last edited by Night_Lights at Jun 25, 2006,
It's not very hard, really. It's just really simple things played fast.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
if it wasn't for the speed, dragonforce would be unbelievably boring. they are pretty much the epitome of the worst of shred. blinding pace with no real musicality behind it.
Quote by T.S.R.
what?
if i were a midget...id go masturbate in public because...hey, im a midget and i can get away with anything

Quote by yawn
I heard Hitler was a pretty good guitarist back in his day...

Quote by guitar?
You're a towel.
Quote by les_paul_01
if it wasn't for the speed, dragonforce would be unbelievably boring. they are pretty much the epitome of the worst of shred. blinding pace with no real musicality behind it.

Agreed, but this isn't the time nor place to bash them
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
tuche.

if you really want to learn the rhythm parts, just sit down as much as you can with a metronome and build your picking speed up. the fretting hand doesnt have too much of a workout in the rhythm parts by the looks of things, so just concentrate on picking.
Quote by T.S.R.
what?
if i were a midget...id go masturbate in public because...hey, im a midget and i can get away with anything

Quote by yawn

Quote by guitar?
You're a towel.
firstly to all the dragonforce bashers - i find it hard to believe that alot of you can bash them when you cant play half as well as herman or sam. If you dont like them thats fine but there is no need to try and insult the guitarists because you are not as good as them.

secondly, the rhymic parts to dragonforce songs are actually fairly simple, they mainly consist of power chords then fast palm muting of the root note, with a couple of pinch harmonics added in there every now and then. Just improve your picking speed with a metronome and you should be fine.
Quote by Dame SixString
I just wish someone for once can actually define what they are saying, stating something is not musical has to be backed up for credibility! Not musical in what sense?? In general good taste? Lack of emotion? I've seen a lot of people just throw this statement around without backing it up!!
You're right.

A musical tone consists of four components:
1. pitch
2. duration
3. intensity (a.k.a. "loudness")
4. timbre (pronounced tam' ber)

A musical work combines many of these tones into some sort of coherent, tasteful whole, coherency and taste being very much in the ear of the listener. In general, though, most serious listeners agree that a piece of music...
* has at least some sort of melody
* has at least some harmony, if only implied (listen to a piece for solo flute or violin for an example of implied harmony)
* combines these melodic and harmonic components into some sort of rhythmic pattern
* groups these melodic, harmonic and rhythmic patterns into musical thoughts we call phrases, and then...
* groups and organizes these phrases into larger entities called themes.

Now I had never even heard of Dragon Force until I read your post (I'm 53 with tastes running heavily to jazz, blues, and classical). After listening to and watching a Dragon Force clip, here's my take, for what it's worth...(I'll use the entirely subjective gpb0216 scoring system, 1 to 10, worst to best)

* pitch - the band does use tones that vary in pitch, if only in a limited way - 3
* duration - to my ear, all of the notes are of almost exactly the same duration - I give them a 2
* intensity - without a doubt, each tone the band produces has intensity. I give them an 8.
* timbre - I hear very little, if any, variation in timbre. In other words, it sounds (to my ear, remember) like one long, brown sound. I'll have to give them a 1 on this one.
* melody - the band's singer does vary pitch, if only a little, while he sings. I give them a 4.
* harmony - the band does change chords during the song I heard, but in a pretty limited and predictable way. I give them a 3.
* rhythm - no question, the band has rhythm. I think they'd be more musical if they varied it a little, but they definitely have rhythm. I give them an 8.
* phrasing - I'm able to tell where one phrase stops and the next phrase begins, but again, it's pretty predictable. I'll give them a 5.
* theme - I hear very little if any thematic development, I'm afriad. I'll stretch it and give the band a 2.

Having gone this entirely subjective exercise, I'd like to share a little saying my college music theory professor told me years ago...

"Patrick, all this theory is well and good, but in the end there's only two kinds of music in the world: the music you like and the music you don't like."

I'm afraid Dragon Force does nothing for me, but the only thing that should matter to you is whether or not it does anything for you.

All the best,
gpb
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
^lol, pretty much is.
Quote by T.S.R.
what?

Quote by yawn

Quote by guitar?
You're a towel.
Quote by Dame SixString
So I think I have a problem, I used to be so open-minded when listening to music but these days all i can listen to is Dragon Force! I think I was totally brainwashed when I saw them play in Australia a month ago and can't release the wanted demon

Seriously how hard is their rhythm to play? I know the solos are ridiculously hard (Can anyone here play them?) but say are they more difficult and complex than the rhythm from Slayer songs?

Can anyone suggest a method they've used to build themselves up to be able to play such songs as these? i.e gradually learning more and more difficult songs or playing the same song 60bpm for 8 hours a day?

hahaha I really need to start listening to something else BUT I JUST CANT! Maybe when I finally get to brush Herman's hair I will be free from their spell.........

try checking out Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force.

Dragonforce is similar to them, except Rising Force is much better sounding.
gpb0216 might have posted one of the most intelligent quotes ever, from the college thing I mean.

Plus I also liked the way you analised it.
'If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the Universe' - Carl Sagan.