Hey UG. I'm sorry to ask this question, but it has has always confused me. How do I know if a Floyd Rose system is a quality one? Are the licensed Floyd Rose systems good or bad, and blah blah blah? I'm sorry. I'm not a tremolo expert. Any input is appreciated.
My current gear:

No name Spanish Classical guitar
1985 Alvarez-Yairi Acoustic
Alvarez Standard Acoustic
Washburn D10CEQ Acoustic
Johnson Del Mar Standard Electric
Johnson Reptone 15 Amp
Dean MLX
Peavey Studio 112
Good floyd rose type bridges:
Original Floyd Rose and Floyd Rose Pro
Ibanez Edge
Ibanez Lo-Pro Edge
Ibanez Edge Pro (NOT edge III, or edge pro II..some people might say otherwise but YMMV overall)
Ibanez ZR
Schaller floyd rose or low profile floyd rose
Gotoh Floyds (who also make the good ibanez ones)

As far as other ones go chances are they will not be as good (softer metals used = doesn't stay in tune)
Last edited by seljer at Jun 22, 2006,
^ agreed, selj. What does YMMV mean? never could figure that one out...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ ah, thanks, man.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
np Dave
BTW, I got those MM installed with new wiring in a different guitar, and they sound kickass. I put them in a basswood RG570 just temporarily, but they sounded so good I'm not going to move them, lol. No brightness issue at all now. I think the new pots and wires made a difference. I completely rewired everything with this install instead of using the stock electronics, and used their recommended cap value. Made a little clip on my GNX4.

Threadstarter, seljer's list looks spot on, those are the ones known as good trems.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Jun 24, 2006,
^ cool.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by seljer
Good floyd rose type bridges:
Original Floyd Rose and Floyd Rose Pro
Ibanez Edge
Ibanez Lo-Pro Edge
Ibanez Edge Pro (NOT edge III, or edge pro II..some people might say otherwise but YMMV overall)
Ibanez ZR
Schaller floyd rose or low profile floyd rose
Gotoh Floyds (who also make the good ibanez ones)

As far as other ones go chances are they will not be as good (softer metals used = doesn't stay in tune)

Left out PING Floyd Rose which is EXACTLY the same as the Origninal one and it even has the Floyd Logo on it because its production is supervised by Floyd Rose himself.
The only ones I would trust are the Original, Pro, Ping and Schaller (they originally built them in the '80s for Floyd Rose)
^ i've heard some people say the ping ones aren't as good. and that the schaller ones aren't amazing either (but obviously a lot better than the cheapo licensed ones).

EDIT: the ibanez ones are awesome, by the way.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ i've heard some people say the ping ones aren't as good. and that the schaller ones aren't amazing either (but obviously a lot better than the cheapo licensed ones).

EDIT: the ibanez ones are awesome, by the way.

I have a Ping on on my OLP MM1 and an Orignal on my Kramer 1984 and they feel exactly the same to me. Both work great. Im not a big fan of the Ibanez copies though- they just dont have the same feel to me as the Ping or Original Floyd have.
^ fair enough.

But it's not fair to say the Ibanez ones aren't as good because they feel different. That's like saying mushrooms are inferior to bananas because they taste different. The whole point of th ibanez trems is that they feel a bit different- most players prefer one style or the other.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?