My whammy bar broke off.How do i get the small threaded peice out so i can put in a new one?
I'm assuming it's a strat-style bridge.

Remove the bridge from the guitar, take the saddles off, or at least the ones that are in the way of the three bigger vertical screws.
Unscrew those; and you will be able to take off the plate; after which you can reach the small remaining part of the whammy bar. Use pliers to pull or twist it out.

If you broke the bar off flush with the block; you will have to drill into it with a special drill bit to remove it. Someone else can tell you more about that.

All the whammy bars I've broken have broken off flush with the bridge plate; so I've only used the first method above.
Last edited by mr_hankey at Jun 22, 2006,
howcome this happens to so many people?...how damn hard to you have to push on those bars to make then snap?o_O...i must try to avoid this
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

if it broke too far down to take it off with pliers from the back side - youll need to drill it out. since its just pot metal you could use a regular drill bit and wd 40. then you have to rethread it, eich requires a special bit.
Du Hast Meche

Member 21 of "I Survived UG Pwn Day"

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
Quote by mr_hankey

All the whammy bars I've broken have broken off flush with the bridge plate; so I've only used the first method above.

How many have you broke??
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
Quote by fronkpies
How many have you broke??

Not that many actually, only three.
^ how hard are you guys pushing on it to make it break?...wanking right down hard onto the body?
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

Im thinking the threads on mine went bad because it was getting really hard to move then it just snapped off! I dunno. It pisses me off though. I dont really use it that much anyway. The thought of an huge imperfection just makes me paranoid! LOL
perhaps you have a **** trem unit. The type you get with **** guitars.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by The_Hell_Patrol
^ how hard are you guys pushing on it to make it break?...wanking right down hard onto the body?

It is just a design flaw in the bridge. All the force is focused on the first thread on the whammy bar; so it will inevitably eventually break. The amount of force you apply will ofcourse determine how long it will last.