I searched around for this answer and couldn't find it anywhere so here we go.

I got a fender american in january and just decided to take out the whammy bar about a week ago and play around with it and i can't get the damn thing to lock into the guitar. Its not a screw in one its got that triangular looking bottom on it thats supposed to snap in i guess. I tried pushing it in and everything and i feel like i'm putting way too much pressure on it and i'm afraid i'm gonna break the bridge.

So i don't know if its me doing something completely wrong or if its the hole that may have been made too small? It looks like it should fit in there but its just not taking for some reason. Its starting to piss me off and I hope its not a problem with the guitar.

any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys.
American Fender Strat

Taylor 314CE

Quote by pbiggie
this guy speaks truth
If it was in there originally, the hole can't be too small. Are you sure you haven't damaged the bar in any way?
yea i'm positive its a real strat. if I paid $1150 for the damn thing and its fake i'd probably go on a killing spree. I wasn't talking about the actual guitar bottom i was talkin about the bottom piece of the whammy bar that is supposed to go into the hole on the bridge.

the bar is fine..i've only just taken it out like a week ago so theres no problem with it. but i don't know why its not snapping into the thing.
American Fender Strat

Taylor 314CE

Quote by pbiggie
this guy speaks truth
maybe u just snapped the screw thing off the bottom of whammy....get us a pic man.!
Founder Of The "Jimmy Page Stole All Of My Potential Riffs" Club PM To Join!.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Meh, I usually just buy them off the local shaman, unless I'm in the wilderness, where I rely on raw meat to raise my HP.
ive got the same thing and had the same problem......first take out the bridge and there is 2 screws you can tighten and your bar will work perfect.
tust me i have one and i fixed it just how i said,just try it,what have you got to loose just by turning a screw.you wont hurt anything and you will fix it.
Well, I hate to break it to you, but the stock arm sucks. Mine broke because I screwed it in too tight, and when I reamed the piece of metal out, I found it to be cheap, Chinese steel. So, I "borrowed" the arm from an old Crate guitar we had lying around, and its made of thick, hard steel, durable, and it does the job. The only thing is, I had to make the hole wider, which was easily done because I know how to use a tap & die set.
any good shop will help you for free, and they really know what they're doing.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by thatgu1targuy
if it fit before itll fit now, just push a little harder

that would probably screw it up best thing to do is to take it to a shop

Quote by Gabel
Simple. It's the amp. Getting EVH tone out of a Twin Reverb is as likely as Nazis supporting jews.
Quote by 6505
tust me i have one and i fixed it just how i said,just try it,what have you got to loose just by turning a screw.you wont hurt anything and you will fix it.

what has he got to lose? maybe his stratocastor? u have to open the back, take the springs out, then take the bridge off, so i doubt u even know what your talking about. and if it fit before why would he have to adjust anything for it to fit again, stop giving people dumb advice
You can do the same things by just pushing or pulling on the bridge, strat bars are pretty much useless.
Dickless.
::
Quote by thatgu1targuy
what has he got to lose? maybe his stratocastor? u have to open the back, take the springs out, then take the bridge off, so i doubt u even know what your talking about. and if it fit before why would he have to adjust anything for it to fit again, stop giving people dumb advice

....you are an idiot.
Ive got the same type of bridge, and all my friends do the same thing when they push in the bar. It really takes quite a bit of pressure to snap it in to place, they never actually lock it in place. It doesnt sound like anything's wrong with it, just that your not quite used to it yet.
My Gear:
American Deluxe HSS Strat
Crate GT212
Vintage '66 Fender Champ Amp
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Vintage '74 MXR Script Phase 90
Vintage '77 MXR Flanger
Orange Squeezer (clone)
Quote by thatgu1targuy
yea im the idiot when you dont know what your talking about.

how can i not know what im talking about when ive fixed that same problem with my strat.....and whats so hard about taking off the back plate and unhooking the springs....what,have you only been playing for a month, well ive been playing for 20 yrs. so i think i know what im talking about.....DORK.
Quote by MastaBassist10
Well, I hate to break it to you, but the stock arm sucks. Mine broke because I screwed it in too tight, and when I reamed the piece of metal out, I found it to be cheap, Chinese steel. So, I "borrowed" the arm from an old Crate guitar we had lying around, and its made of thick, hard steel, durable, and it does the job. The only thing is, I had to make the hole wider, which was easily done because I know how to use a tap & die set.

I had/have the same problem, but the broken piece is still in the bridge, and i dont know how to get it out, can i just get the bridge off and then get it out of there or should i just bring it to the shop; and another (probalby stupid) question but is it possible to divebomb with a stratocaster? cause i've never seen someone do it with a strat, i have tried it with a friend's but i couldnt do it, i probably just did it wrong
London city(with mk IV mod) 50 watt tube
Vox AD15VT
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
EH Big muff (SU )
Squier strat (customized w/ emg's and fender parts)
Ibanez acoustic (with active pu)
Ibanez 12string acoustic
www.myspace.com/tubelightband
Quote by thatgu1targuy
yea im the idiot when you dont know what your talking about.

yea your just the guy that suggested the same thing bout six times an it has yet to work
Quote by Arlabester
you suck, emo rocks, case closed
thanks for all the replys everyone...i'm gonna have to take it down to a shop and have them look at it first before i end up breaking something.
American Fender Strat

Taylor 314CE

Quote by pbiggie
this guy speaks truth