Ok,
I'm now sure i want a telecaster, but now there are some possibiltys
1) Fender Standard Tele
2) Fender Highway Tele
3) Fender '50 Tele

I play Jimi, Dire straits, Beatles, maybe some rhcp

The Highway and the 50' Tele cost 100? more, is there a reason why i should by one of those more expensive or if the standard would be good enough...
Give your advice, experience?, ... thank you
Could you get a used USA Tele for that price?

Also, look into a Japanese '62 Reissue Telecaster, I've played a few of them, they're amazing guitars, really, better than/on par with USA ones.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Highway 1 tele = crap finish, really really 'cold' pickups. Ok cleans, but nothing else. At all.

Mexican tele = solid construction, recently upgraded neck and pickups. Pickups are pretty hot, but might not suit everyone.

I'll say 50's tele, but try the Mexican Standard. You might like it, it's not bad at all.
The only problem with the highway one tele is that the finish on it is VERY bad.

It scratched very easily

But you can look on ebay for teles made in Japan

Ive heard that they are better made than the American ones....Which is why Fender halted production there in the 90s
Gibson SG Special Faded

Vox Valvetronix AD15VT Amp

Squier Acoustic starter pack
I just bought a Highway 1 tele and love it, i like the finish as it relics quite quickly but if you don't want it to then it just requires some careful usage like any guitar.
The finish isn't necessarily crappy or bad, it's just thin, and you will wear through it with use.
Are the new 06' teles upgraded like the strats, because tommorow after work Im going to buy a new 06 MIM and I like both strats and teles.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Ok, So the the highway is crap, the standard is low qual. and the '60 is nice???
If you can find a Japanese telecaster with a Bigsby for the right price it might be good for you

Quote by oxokoning
Ok, So the the highway is crap, the standard is low qual. and the '60 is nice???

The highway 1 guitars are not crap the finish is just a matter of preference and the pickups are not to eveyones taste. Other than that it's good. And you above me, you won't get one of those for his budget, it's a John5 signature Telecaster, the Bigsy one is more expensive than the normal one. That's also custom shop is it not? I think there might be a cheaper MIM version though.... Not sure.
^There's other Jap Tele's with Bigsbys, but yea, they'll be over his budget anyway, amazing guitars though.
Don't be afraid to care"

The John5 tele? It looks like a great guitar but the thought of a sig guitar puts me off even if it is good. Also the headstock is pretty ugly. I'd love to play one some time though.
Quote by The Master Plan
Are the new 06' teles upgraded like the strats, because tommorow after work Im going to buy a new 06 MIM and I like both strats and teles.

Yes, I read in a magazine. I think they have new, better necks, and hotter, more solid-sounding pickups. Older Standards had Poplar bodies, now they're solid alder.
Quote by codybcool
The John5 tele? It looks like a great guitar but the thought of a sig guitar puts me off even if it is good. Also the headstock is pretty ugly. I'd love to play one some time though.

No, they're just regular Jap Tele's, but with Bigsby's.
http://www.petercooks.co.uk/Images/62bigtel.jpg

But the John 5 Tele does look interesting, but that headstock....urgh.
Don't be afraid to care"

Hopefully it will get redesigned when the later models are released, because from the reviews i've read it is apparently really good.
^The headstock was designed especially for behind the nut bends.
Quote by I_am_spartacus
thats so stupid it made my left testical infertile...thanks...asshole
Different specs, most notably the necks i think. Just go and try them out, we can't decide what to buy for you.
50' Tele: Ash body, maple fretbaord. Brighter sound. Lighter
60' Tele: alder body, rosewood fretboard. Softer sound. Heavier.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Do some research before you post replies. The Fender John 5 Bigsby retails for $3684. I can get it new for $1842 exactly. THE HEADSTOCK IS NOT getting redesigned, and was not designed in that shape just for behind the nut bends. THE AREA behind the nut is shaved down for bends. Also if you have seen pictures of him playing they made him 2 prototypes. One with a maple neck and one with a Rosewood neck. They both had normal headstocks that are shaved. Most of the time u will see him playing the prototypes just because he likes them. Also the only MiM version is the hardtail non bigsby and it goes for $765. The Custom Shops come with ASH bodies where as the MiM comes with an Alder Body. The MiM doesn't come with locking tuners or double white binding either. AS FOR GETTING THE PICKUPS OUT OF IT. You can get the bridge pickups no problem. The hardtail comes with a Fender Enforcer Humbucker and the Bigsby model comes with the Seymour Duncan Tele Hot Rails. AS FOR THE NECK PICKUP. You are F**KED. It is a proprietary pickup by fender called the Twisted Tele Neck Pickup. It comes in only 3-5 guitars they make. Fender sells them for $39. Here in lies the problem. In order to get one of those pickups you have to 1.) Be an authorized Fender Service Center 2.) Call Fender when you order it and give them the serial number of the guitar you are working on 3.) If the serial number doesn't match a guitar that comes with that pickup your SOL 4.) When it is replaced Fender requires you to send the old pickup back to them. SO IF YOU EVER SEE ONE ON EBAY PICK IT UP. IT IS RARE AS F**K

S6
Last edited by scott6 at Jul 11, 2006,
I meant to post the guitar I said it was - the reissue tele with binding and a bigsby from Japan rather than the John 5 sig.

There isn't a pic on the Fender site, but here's the spec for it ...
Last edited by smb at Jul 11, 2006,