Hey guys, I work at the local guitar store and, well, I'll just tell the story.

This guy came in, I helped him answering questions and junk and ordered him some slatwall guitar stands, and then he came back about half an hour later asking to talk to me, brought in this crazy nice guitar saying he wanted to trade it in for a new Fender Tele 50's model w/ bigsby. Of course, those are brand new guitars so we have to order em in, but he wanted us to give him a good deal with the trade of this crazy nice guitar, the guitar was a '64 Hofner Colorama...

I can't seem to find a standard price for that anywhere, so do any of you guys have any idea what the worth of it might be?

it looks like this, but with a white finish:

thanks in advance guys

edit: woops w/ pic, the guitar there is white lol, thought i copied the pic of the red one - anyways, it looks just like that then
1st ever MOD challenge winner
Rush Club Member #5
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
Member #4 of The Geddy Lee Fan Club
Member #21 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join
Quote by sashki
Hofner are relatively collectible....but not as much, so you'd mainly buy if for performance. Is it in good condition? Does it work? Does it sound good? What's it made of?

Condition: Next to mint, big dent on the back that he said was caused by his friend last year

Work/sound: Perfectly set up, plays beautifully, pickups still sound fresh but still maintain an awesome vintage sound - great sounding

Made of: No idea really, couldn't tell... neck looks to be...mahogony, body....maybe... no idea, I was thinkin spruce but maybe not
Rush Club Member #5
Spruce? Meh! Probably Alder. If it's mint, plays and sounds great, then I think it's worth a mexican tele....

It looks like a middle class guitar, ie not a beginner's model, but no elite level instrument either. In the 60's, everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) made wierd cheap guitars. Hofner are one of the countless brands, but you can trust them for quality.

It looks of a similar technical level to a tele. If the parts are all original, that slightly increases its value.
Quote by sashki
Spruce? Meh! Probably Alder. If it's mint, plays and sounds great, then I think it's worth a mexican tele....

It looks like a middle class guitar, ie not a beginner's model, but no elite level instrument either. In the 60's, everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) made wierd cheap guitars. Hofner are one of the countless brands, but you can trust them for quality.

It looks of a similar technical level to a tele. If the parts are all original, that slightly increases its value.

meh i was thinkin spruce cause it felt alot lighter than alder...

the thing is this guy was convinced it was worth a small mint, I really don't wanna have to break i to him if it's just like a 800 buck guitar, I think he was thinking 1.5-2K plus
Rush Club Member #5
Normally people think that anything over 20 years old has to be worth a ton of money (your 1.5-2K senario). My friend has a '77 Cort Effector, he thought it was worth $2k just cause it was a '77, it's really worth no more than $800 (he doesn't care cause he won't sell it anyway, it's his best guitar).
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix