What music magazines to you buy?

I used to get 'Careless Talk Costs Lives' but it stopped, and I struggle to find 'Loose Lips Sink Ships'.

Melody Maker used to be decent too.
Music magazines = waste of money. They're all pretentious filth anyway (well the mainstream ones)
The best (undebatable) magazines are: Mojo and Q. I only get the classic Mojos, but get Q regularly. As for NME and Kerrang!, i get them now and again, but the only thing is: they are extremely biased.

j0nmcc: in your opinion.
Quote by Rock God #1

j0nmcc: in your opinion.

Well of course.

Who elses would it be? :/
Music magazines = waste of money. They're all pretentious filth anyway (well the mainstream ones)

That's why you don't buy the mainstream ones. Some of them used to be great, liek the ones I meantioned.

The best (undebatable) magazines are: Mojo and Q. I only get the classic Mojos, but get Q regularly. As for NME and Kerrang!, i get them now and again, but the only thing is: they are extremely biased.

Nah, Uncut beats those 2. Q is biased and Mojo has **** writers. As for NME, it might as well be called Pete Dochtery Weekly.
You mean Pete Doherty.

Q is unbiased, as it gives a fair judgment on every band they cover. The writers are not influenced beforehand or by the editor.
I have only bought the Mojo classic issues, and they were great to read.
i read www.drownedinsound.com

i like to get thee spc when its out. sandman is quite good. the ones you mentioned were quite good, theres another one i quite like but i cant remember what it is.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
You mean Pete Doherty.

Course.

Anyway, I'll agree to disagree. I find Q very biased and close minded. They never review any new up and coming bands, thus never take risks.

It's the magazine for the listener with the boring ear in my opinion.
guess i'll have to do the same.

If you had looked closely, they cover at least 3 bands per month, under the section 'Rising'. I can't do much to sway your view about biasy, but of course i'd have to say that im not a listener with a boring ear....obviously.
Eugh Q and NME are by far the worst.

They'll hype a band for ages and have constant features on them, for example, Babyshambles, Libs or Arctic Monkeys, when there's actually been no news about them whatsoever.

They'll then get sick of them and cling to the next band to hype.

I read Rock Sound every now and again, the free CDs are usually pretty crap, but they have decent bands on every now and again.
Rock Sound's kind of decent.

The Fly is good though. They have pretty good bands.

Actually, where did the Fly go?

I haven't seen them being offered in HMV in ageeees.
Because light strikes a deal with each coming night.
I live by the NME and think Pete Doherty is a god.

I also offer up all of my good taste and human decency, I am now a turd.

Come stand on me barefoot.
Enjoy your worries, you may never have them again.

The Books.
Q is terrible. its the print version of 6music. that isnt a good thing. 6music is shit.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Quote by MattDaviesFFAF
Rock Sound's kind of decent.

The Fly is good though. They have pretty good bands.

Actually, where did the Fly go?

I haven't seen them being offered in HMV in ageeees.

You can still get the Fly as far as I know, you can still get it in the indie shop near me. In terms of free mags, Fact is another good 'un.
I read most Q, cos my brother has had a subscription for about 5 years, so he buys and i read i like it in the main part, but if he were to stop buying it, i wouldn't then go out to get it for myself.

apart ffrom that i don't read any magazines. artrocker used to be okay now and again, but i don't really have the money to spend a fiver or so a month on some bits of papaer wherein half the bands included i probably don't like.
Quote by Kensai
Maybe you've heard what the ladies say: "Once you go 77mm you don't go back"
Q is a great magazine for their small reviews. Found many a good CD whilst perusing the 30 pages of reviews.

Sunday Times' 'Culture' magazine has exactly my taste, so I love reading that when my parents get it.

For a few months as well there was a magazine called Spill that used to get distributed at my Uni, that was good, then they stopped giving it out for free.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Q = pretentious rubbish
NME = Even worse pretentious rubbish
Kerrang! = Some decent reviews but my god they always feature the same bands. Mostly rubbish
Big Cheese = Rather good, but overpriced.
Rock Sound = Probably my favourite, unbiased and contains some decent articles.

All in my opinion of course.
I find Q a pretty decent read. I like the reviews the best, I seem to agree with most what is said. Plus they seem to cover half decent bands.

I've only ever bought three because over here they're $16.95 each! I recently found out that my local library gets Q magazine so I borrowed about 10 the other day.

Don't you get local street magazines for free in the UK anyway? I'd imagine them to be quite good because of the cities being relatively bigger or something...
NME - always looking for the next big thing, seems to think that bands are great until they get big, and then they're boring. for people with short attention span/people who want to be in the know/people who want to be 'indier' than their mates. its just such a hype machine and i resent the fact that it has so much power over the british public.

Kerrang! - live reviews are the best thing about it, but generally it's bloody awful. HUGE, HUGE problem with simple musical classifications. im not the biggest fan of stupid subgenres, but kerrang will happily label and young american band that was once seen swearing in a constructed photo shoot a 'punk' band. always feature the same bands, like miranda said. its either fall out boy, my chemical romance or aiden. in the nu-metal days, they used to have linkin park on the front cover and inside they'd be slagging off nu-metal. its just an absolute mess of a magazine, aimed at kids who like mainstream rock music. the louder version of nme in a way. the music channel is shit too. "life is loud" - so why avril lavigne and eminem?

Q - have had this bought for me a good few times at christmasses and things. its better than NME but seems like its reasonably similar, only aimed at slightly older people. reviews are alright but fro what ive seen, interviews aren't that great.

Rock Sound - the best of a bad bunch. a few months ago it looked like it was getting worse, but the last couple ive read have been okay. not as biased as any other magazine, treats you as if you know what youre talking about, respects that you probably already know who fall out boy are without 25 different photo shoots. sadly seems to feature (more recently) the same sort of bands as kerrang on the cover but inside is a different story. i assume they need pictures of my chemical romance and the like to attract people to buy it. the cd often has at least a couple of decet tracks, although not as many recently, and ive discovered a few good bands like threemovements, the wireless stores and winnebago deal thanks to this magazine. not perfect by any means, but covers a good range of subgenres, and isnt tied down to one ideal. the only one id consider buying.
I get total guitar does that count?
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Does Rocksound even cover Alt/Indie bands?

I was under the impression it was a punk/hardcore magazine...

Quote by Cal UK
I get total guitar does that count?

I bought that magazine the other day. I love it!! 8 pages on John Frusciante is always a plus for me.

I think they try and feature a wider variety of bands, but mainly good ones. You don't even necessarily have to like the particular band to enjoy an article, you can pick up some awesome info on stuff in general.
Last edited by Goon at Jun 25, 2006,
Quote by Goon
Does Rocksound even cover Alt/Indie bands?

I was under the impression it was a punk/hardcore magazine...
Yeah it does every now and then. I think predominantly, like every other magazine, it features a fair bit of whatever's popular currently, but it definitely tries to cover eveything from industrial to indie, metal to punk. It's generally pretty varied.
i once bought total guitar and I thought it sucks. Looks they're trying to tell you what's cool or isn't and stuff like that... directed at a 13 year old audience... oh and the audio cd had a Heartbeats cover on it, some bloke from the magazine playing it, not really well played
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
Quote by MattDaviesFFAF
Ok, I have a question for everyone.

Which is worse, Kerrang! or Metal hammer?

They both suck equally hard.
kerrang is worse than metal hammer.

metal hammer occassionally has some decent bands in it, and the articles are generally better than kerrang.

if i had to choose a commercial mag it'd be rocksound, although the articles are generally not too great.
Quote by Jaret Reddick
wake me up when september ends makes me cry evry time!

emos forever
:-(