I was just wondering if you guys thought figuring out stuff by ear and having an ear for music is just natural ability or can be taught. My friend and I have been playing roughly the same time but whereas he lives by tabs, i can figure out stuff by ear. Does this come with pracitcising or are you have it or you dont.
As with everything on guitar, some may start slightly better than others but the ability can still be acquired and honed by practice.
^ yes. You can learn to 'train' your ear though practice. Doing things like humming the next note in a scale before you play it or trying to hum intervals before you play them. Some people do have that 'ear' that comes naturally but that just means the people who don't find themselves like that just have to work a little harder, that's all.

Even just playing lots of scales will help your friend learn where the tones are in the scale. Playing arpegeios would help to, that will single out the main chord tones.

practice though, trying to figure stuff out by ear. Grab winamp, pacemaker pluging, andloopmaster plugin and you're set. You can slow a song down and repeat a little riff until you get dizzy and puke. It's awesome.

I've started to learn more by ear because the tabs are to much of a crutch for me. The first solo was hard to learn but they are getting easier, just takes time but you'll remember it 10x better.
-Red 1990 Fender Strat with maple neck
-Cream colored Strat. GFS Premium II pickups.
-Line6 spider 210 and Fender Pinceton Chorus amps
-Zoom G2
I dont want to brag but i seem to have a special play-by-ear ability--i'll hear something, then play it pretty much flawlessly within a minute or so. I suck at reading tabs anyway, so its a good thing i can do that.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
It can be taught. If there is such a thing as "perfect pitch", that would help, but even people who can't immediately recognize pitches (like myself) can get good at picking stuff up by ear.
Quote by Ace88
I dont want to brag

Your god damned title is "prodigy"

EDIT: Excuse me, THE prodigy
Quote by Ace88
I dont want to brag but i seem to have a special play-by-ear ability--i'll hear something, then play it pretty much flawlessly within a minute or so. I suck at reading tabs anyway, so its a good thing i can do that.

You're not special, don't worry.
Wow, that makes me look bad. Really, im not that arrogant or conceited at all.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
take some CDs and try to learn songs off of them by ear. I learned to play by ear by learning songs off an instrumental surf rock CD. That's a good way to go because the songs are easy, the chord changes are common, and the whole melody is played on guitar. The Ventures, the Shadows, the Chantays, etc. There's a band called the Duo-Tones (just a couple of old surf guitarist dudes) that are great to learn from, because it's only 2 guitars and no bass or drums. www.pjmoto.com also has some other surf guitar stuff.
You can also recognize the chord thats playing, thats how i do it, youd be surprised how guys like Everlast used VERY common chords and play the notes on it. And yea that play by ear ability is learned, your not born with it, unless youve been listening to ALOT of classical when you were a baby, then you can call yourself Mozart.
Quote by Dan Steinman
take some CDs and try to learn songs off of them by ear. I learned to play by ear by learning songs off an instrumental surf rock CD. That's a good way to go because the songs are easy, the chord changes are common, and the whole melody is played on guitar. The Ventures, the Shadows, the Chantays, etc. There's a band called the Duo-Tones (just a couple of old surf guitarist dudes) that are great to learn from, because it's only 2 guitars and no bass or drums. www.pjmoto.com also has some other surf guitar stuff.

Surf guitar is awesome, I love the ventures and others like that. It is a great way because they really stick the basics but their songs are really fun. I even recorded one on the computer, the link is in my sig.

Try them out like Dan said, you'd be surprised.
-Red 1990 Fender Strat with maple neck
-Cream colored Strat. GFS Premium II pickups.
-Line6 spider 210 and Fender Pinceton Chorus amps
-Zoom G2
yeah its not too difficult, i was totally tone def when i started and now when i hear something on the radio i can usually pick out the key signature immediately. in fact, i find it quite enjoyable to listen to something and try and pick out the chords and the order they're in and then go home and play it on the guitar and see if im right.