e
B                       13 12 13 12 13 
G 11 12 14                                  14 12
D                 12                                        14 
A
E

and i need to make i riffs better and rockyer what suggestions do you have
oh. my. god.
that is the worst thing i have ever played on my guitar, i feel sorry for making it make those notes together, seriously

if you want to write good stuff then learn some scales and theory, seriously that was nasty
i actually just laughed out loud playing this riff man!... Just do random power chords and they will sond rockier than this stuff.
Founder Of The "Jimmy Page Stole All Of My Potential Riffs" Club PM To Join!.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Meh, I usually just buy them off the local shaman, unless I'm in the wilderness, where I rely on raw meat to raise my HP.
sounds better if u play it Fast...unplugged..and with the TV 10x louder.
Founder Of The "Jimmy Page Stole All Of My Potential Riffs" Club PM To Join!.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Meh, I usually just buy them off the local shaman, unless I'm in the wilderness, where I rely on raw meat to raise my HP.
actually its in E minor so all u kids saying to learn theory, shutup.
rawwwwwwwwwwww
well i have an idea that could help. I havent tried it yet, because it seems kinda bothersome, but i went to a guitar clinic, and the guy said to record EVERYTHING you play, and just start jamming or whatever, and then play it back, and take stuff out of there that you could use.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Quote by thatgu1targuy
^so? its always gonna be in a scale. and he didnt say "this is an E minor riff" so he does need to learn some theory

Oh, so if I post a open C chord and don't say it's a C, I need to learn some theory because I don't know? Jeez..
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Lighten up guys. He probably hasn't been playing as long as some of us.

This actually has more potential than these guys are giving you credit for. Right now you're playing in G major, so my first suggestion would be to end on the G note, however, as you take more theory, you'll learn how to break this rule right. The biggest reason you're not immediately identifying with a rock sound is because you're playing a major scale (7 note) pattern. You can make major scales rock, but we're talking a more Eric Johnson "Cliffs of Dover" kindof rock. I've also seen a similar pattern in Vai's "Erotic Nightmares." I'm not sure about the theoretical context, but it's a really bitchin riff. The notes group in 7s to one beat, and it's played at like 110-120 bpm, so work it up to speed.

E 14 16 17 16 14 16 17
B 12 14 15 14 12 14 15 14 15 17 15 14 15 17
G 11 12 14 12 11 12 14

|-----------7-----------| |-----------7------------| |------------7----------| |------------7-----------|

Okay, so I lied, it's D major instead of G. However, if you change one note (C# -> C) it becomes your G major pattern, so mess around with it.

Ultimately, if you want to make better riffs, you're gonna need to learn your theory. Learn the major scale and it's modes in the three note per string patterns and learn to connect them all along the fretboard. That's all you're really ever gonna need to create some awesome runs. Until then, just learn your pentatonics, but try not to stay on one pattern. Learn to connect them.

As for how your lick actually sounds, I have no clue. I'm posting from work while I'm supposed to be writing UNIX shell scripts. Hurray for academic careers!
**** that riff came out horrible. Just look at the GP4 tabs for erotic nightmare. you'll see it
elvenkindje, the other guy said oh its an E minor riff, but the original poster probably didnt know that. that is why he needs to learn theory

and u can learn chords and not know any theory

EDIT: its in G major
Last edited by thatgu1targuy at Jun 22, 2006,
Good luck learning chords without theory. I mean, sure, you can learn a G chord. But christ, when you want to play a Bbmb5b7b9 or something rediculous like that, theory makes it so much easier.
And thatgu1targuy: G major is the same as E minor. Clearly, we all need to learn more theory.
^ thanks dsp, i was looking at it (i didn't even bother playing it as i'm at work) and i was thinking G major not e minor, as the guys above said, i would personally recommend not only music theory but also inverted chords (like knowing an A4 is the same as an E5 or that a Gmaj6 is the same as an E minor) ALSO, find some bands you like and pay attention to how they sound rockier, don't necessarily try to emulate them but learn from those before you who in your opinion have a good sound be it 'jet' (blech in IMO) or 'Pantera' (awww yeah)
one minor disagreement, and i make this statement b/c i don't want the thread starter to get the wrong ideas, G major is NOT the same as E minor, the more music theory you learn you will come to understand that although they contain the same notes they are not the same, if you were to play a piece in G major it would be accentuated differently than E minor.
Yeah, z's right. Modally G major is equivalent with E natural minor, but their harmonic context would be completely different. It's important to learn chord inversions as well, however the probably won't let you churn out some awesome licks. Scales are more important for leads. Nonetheless, learn everything you can. It'll only help.
Quote by thatgu1targuy
elvenkindje, the other guy said oh its an E minor riff, but the original poster probably didnt know that. that is why he needs to learn theory

Oh, my bad, I was just pissed off at this thread because everybody's bashing the poor guy who is only asking for help!

Btw, I'd say the riff's in Eminor instead of Gmajor, because it ends on an E note

TS, I'm going to write you something about the rockieness of riffs and licks tomorrow! First gonna get some sleep.. Search for Melodic Phrasing on video google in the mean time
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Quote by elvenkindje
Oh, my bad, I was just pissed off at this thread because everybody's bashing the poor guy who is only asking for help!

Btw, I'd say the riff's in Eminor instead of Gmajor, because it ends on an E note

TS, I'm going to write you something about the rockieness of riffs and licks tomorrow! First gonna get some sleep.. Search for Melodic Phrasing on video google in the mean time
Do you mean "melodic control?"

Google "melodic control" too.
i havent actually tried to play it or anything but i dont see how that riff can sound THAT bad, its in a scale and there is no indication how to play it, so it could just be that your attemp to play it was poor
Quote by Mr. Raw
actually its in E minor so all u kids saying to learn theory, shutup.

I agree. At last he's takin' it into mind.

Give it a bit of oomph and bit of rhythm and yeah should be ok. Fiddle with the nots a lil'. Put bends etc...