Page 1 of 2
i wanted some new bass players to check out so i decided to start a thread to see who your heroes are to find some new good players to check out =). i guess ill start, check out any and all of these players if you havent already: victor wooten, john myung (dream theater), bill dickens, jean baudin, kai eckhardt, billy sheehan, jaco pastorius, marcus miller, ryan martinie (mudvayne), stanley clarke, john patitucci, alex webster (cannibal corpse). theres a good list, iv probably forgotten a few people and iv deliberately left out people i dont particularly rate like whats his face from greenday and flea (dont care if i sound like im disrespecting bass players there i just dont think hes particularly good). thats enough of my talking there, your turn...
i only wear black until they invent a darker colour

everyone is sh*t....were just all at different levels of sh*t
Chris Wolstenholme from Muse, gained my attention, alot over the last years, reggie hamilton, ill post more if i get, but as usaul someone listed alot =)
Jordan Snider, Kuntree, Stefan Fimmers, Victor Wooten, Jaco, Jonas Hellborg, Steve Bailey, and Liam Wilson. But honestly most of my inspiration to play and progress doesn't come from other bassists, sometimes it doesn't even come from musicians. Charlie PArker is my biggest influence ever, and of course I draw lots of inspiration from my town, the things that happen around me, and my friends.
steve digiorgio,billy sheehan,matt freeman,steve harris,alex webster,geezer butler,cliff burton,john myung,flea,geddy lee,les claypool
Paul Simonon! Just generally as a person, but he happened to be a bass player. He was actually surprisingly good. I second the Chris Wolstenholme post. Andy Rourke is, for me, a great inspiration, in that he always gets everything just right.
Cliff Burton, Robert Trujillo, and Flea
Quote by Immortal_Guitar
ExiledSoul, you have just won the Best UG Liar award. Thanks for participating with your incredible dumbassery and lies.

Quote by gsr2k6
I have a turd with a carrot stuck in it. Its the GREATEST pet ever, makes quite the mess though.
FLEA, geezer butler, bootsy collins, larry graham, geddy lee, flea, les claypool, jaco, cliff burton, micheal anthony, flea, bootsy collins, victor wooten, and flea. and i love flea hes my biggest influence
Duff from Guns N' Roses
Flea From the Chilis
The guy from Sublime and other raggea (sp) bassist
Marcus Miller (solo slap bassist)

And I mean Wooten is awesome, but not one of my influences, I could not play like that
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
Last edited by horazonblade at Jun 22, 2006,
I don't see why people place Bootsy so high up, I've never heard anything from him that impressed me, could someone recommend a song?
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
Quote by SG thrasher
The most underrated bassist on the face of the planet, i give you, JOEY DEMAIO!

He destroys everyone.

Look him up.

You sure that's not Sam Beckett and an episode of Quantum Leap?

Oh Boy......

I will of course say my fave bassist, Stuart Zender. Mother****er knows how to groove. Also, Larry Graham in Graham Central Station and Sly and the Family Stone
Last edited by Applehead at Jun 22, 2006,
justin chancellor from tool
les claypool from primus
Dirk lance from incubus
P-nut from 311
John Paul Jones from Led zeppelin
Geezer Butler from Black Sabbath
Flea from Red Hot Chili peppers
Jack Bruce from cream
Geddy Lee from rush
Quote by Applehead
^ damn, another joke down the toilet. did you watch Quantum Leap?

Yeah, I know what you're talking about. When you said the title I was thinking, "Damn, how does ANYONE remember that freaking show!?"
It might be coming back now Scott Bakula has finished Enterprise. The guy that played Al the hologram is on board, as is Bakula. Pilot in the pipline for a movie...maybe...

showing our age now Bumper
How old are you, Applehead? I'm sure I'm nto as old as you are....but I might be. I remember seeing a pic of you and you had the whole facial hair works and everything. But that doesn't mean much I guess, I'm pretty young and I have a full beard.
Quote by Applehead
It might be coming back now Scott Bakula has finished Enterprise. The guy that played Al the hologram is on board, as is Bakula. Pilot in the pipline for a movie...maybe...

showing our age now Bumper

thats the show where the guy jumps in time trying to get home, but ends up in different times and situations, and has to fix them before he can jump again, right?

i remeber that show, im only 17.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
^I can barely remember it, and I'm 17. I start feeling older every day. I was talking to my girlfriends little brother, and the kid didn't know who Blink 182 was......I was taken aback, and amazed at how damn old I am.
Quote by Bumper
^I can barely remember it, and I'm 17. I start feeling older every day. I was talking to my girlfriends little brother, and the kid didn't know who Blink 182 was......I was taken aback, and amazed at how damn old I am.

well, you know the youth of today, always with their confangled pokemon and yugi whatsits. it saddens me when i hear little kids talking about the x-men cartoon, and they're talking about the lame half-assed version on cartoon network, not the kick ass 90's version i grew up on. same with transformers.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
^Transformers PwNzOrAtEd everything. I still have an Optimus Prime shrine in my room....and I still sleep on my X-Men sheets.
Quote by Bumper
How old are you, Applehead? I'm sure I'm nto as old as you are....but I might be. I remember seeing a pic of you and you had the whole facial hair works and everything. But that doesn't mean much I guess, I'm pretty young and I have a full beard.

You're 17? Damn Bumper you look like you drive a big truck man. Thought you were mid 20's..

I'm 27. ****. now i do feel old. You probably saw those on repeats.

tell me this mother****er doesnt look like that guitarist !!
Attachments:
QL.jpg
Last edited by Applehead at Jun 22, 2006,
dude bootsys the man, i think that the stuff thats groovy and funky is some of the best, its not all about super fast macho **** , altho that is cool too. but that could be just cause i love funk so much. but i dunno you can decide for yourself, its just my opion. bootzilla is an awesome funky song if ya want to listen to it (whoever was askin about bootsy collins)
Claypool and John Paul Jones are my bass heroes.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Quote by ozzyisagenious
dude bootsys the man, i think that the stuff thats groovy and funky is some of the best, its not all about super fast macho **** , altho that is cool too. but that could be just cause i love funk so much. but i dunno you can decide for yourself, its just my opion. bootzilla is an awesome funky song if ya want to listen to it (whoever was askin about bootsy collins)

good to hear i am not alone in my love of the funk!!
Jermaine Butler from Landmines, Baby! - www.myspace.com/landminesbaby

Liam Wilson from The Dillinger Escape Plan

Smoogs from the Number Twelve Looks Like You

Morgan Henderson of the blood brothers-

But the reasons i love all of these bassist, are not only for thier technical abilities, but for thier inovativeness, i mean hell, the Morgan Henderson is one of the driving forces of the band, and he plays keyboards and upriight, and they havent put out a record yet that sounds like an older one, and liam wilson is just a beast, Smoogs has amnazing technical ability, and he comepletely compliments everything the other members are playing, plus he rocks out.

hXc
i would rather staple my own hands to a train, than pray on knees that judge and blame.
Quote by jett12
cliff burton, steve harris, opeth dude, gunit

G-Unit???? wtf thats rap I HATE RAP!!!! I WHAT TO KILL WHOEVER INVENTED THAT CRAP!, anyway why would they need a bassist. rap is all about stupid beats and some black dude going on and on about "bling-bling" and deep fryed chicken. you got the Cliff Burton part good, he has to be the best bassist that ever existed, and plus he's my idol. you forgot to mention Rex Brown, the ex pantera bassist. he is really good also.
Member 3 of Geddy Lee Fan Club. PM timmEH or RIC4003 to join

Member of Bass militia. PM Dinkydaisy to join

Cliff Burton is my idol. R.I.P

MegaBassPlayer's band of the week: Bound For Glory
Last edited by MegaBassPlayer at Jun 22, 2006,
Probably Cliff Burton and Timmy C. You gotta have balls to be have been in one of the most politically hated bands of the decade.
Quote by MegaBassPlayer
G-Unit???? wtf thats rap I HATE RAP!!!! I WHAT TO KILL WHOEVER INVENTED THAT CRAP!, anyway why would they need a bassist. rap is all about stupid beats and some black dude going on and on about "bling-bling" and deep fryed chicken. you got the Cliff Burton part good, he has to be the best bassist that ever existed, and plus he's my idol. you forgot to mention Rex Brown, the ex pantera bassist. he is really good also.

chill son, rap has some real nice bass lines to it every once and a while. gansta's paradise will always be a great song, rap or no. and just as good is omish paradise.

my favorite bassists as of late:
chris wood
stanley clarke
marcus miller
and dusty springfield has really been catching my attention.
Quote by Mr. T
Page 1 of 2