I'm still a bit new to bass, so I have to ask, jsut broke my first string, my g-string, and I need to know how to find out what gauge the strings are and how to go about putting a new one on, can anyone help me? Thanks
You should replace all of your strings at once. If you don't it will sound very weird, because new strings sound a lot different than old strings.

Rather than trying to figure out what gauge they are*, consider how you liked them. Do you think you'd prefer tighter strings with a bit more bass? Get heavy gauge (it might be a bit rough on your hands at first). Do you think you'd do better with more sparkle, and a lot of slappability? Get light gauge. The stock strings on your bass were probably medium gauge, assuming you bought it new.

* I actually tried measuring the gauge of my strings with my calipers when I replaced my strings. My old strings were the same type as my new strings. Yet the old strings were MUCH smaller than the gauge - my guess is that it's due to them stretching. The new strings were a bit bigger. So measuring old strings may give you a skewed idea of what gauge they really are. And how many people have calipers lying around, anyway?
Computer programmers are loopy.
- That's one of my own!
Ok, so what sort of a guage should I get to maybe be able to slap but with a bit of a deep sort of sound to them?
um, medium gauge then haha. 45-100. probably. its probably the same guage as ur stock strings. u can slap on any gauge, it'll soud better on lighter strings and you dont lose all too much deepness in ur playing.

personally i use 40-95 cause i like lighter strings. hasnt hurt my deep playing too much, its probably my pickups hurting me there.
Ok, thanks for al the help then guys, probably be back here when I get them to find out how to put them on though
I started with the stock string size (45-100) and went to the higher guage (50-105) and I liek them better. It all depends on what you play and what sounds you're looking to get. I like the boom and thump of the thicker strings, but the lighter the brighter.

As far as restringing, warwickbass.com has a great article. I broke my low E and it helped me restring the whole bass. Great article.
I prefer to have the strings as light as possible. I like the feel and the sound more.

You might be able to find some strings with light D and G strings and heavy A and E strings. Maybe somebody on the forum knows of such a pack.
- That's one of my own!
^But arent lighter gauge strings usually more prone to fretbuzz and not being as tense and tight as medium or heavy gauge strings?...

I've tried Medium and Heavy gauge strings but I'm reluctant to buy some light gauge for fear of them causing fretbuzz...Anyone have experience with this?

My main 4 string is a SR500 btw if that matters (the older model with a 2 band EQ)...
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
If you are only going to replace one string, then play with it LOTS, to even it out with the other strings before a gig and what not. Or else it will sound off, and really metally and choppy.
am i the only one who buys a new set every time i break a string? i just think its better to get them all even with each other. seems like a waste of money i know, and well, it is.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Quote by crazypeanutman
seems like a waste of money i know, and well, it is.

Thats exactly why I don't replace my strings if they break or w/e very often. I hate guitar plays for being able to buy 7 packs of strings for $10.

I just got my DR HiBeams, and I must say, VERY great string. It STILL sounds brand new after playing them in a recording session for 6 hours today. They are getting even more attention tommorrow . This is by far the best string I have played. If you have $35 and need new strings, go pick up DR's. You will not be dissapointed.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Quote by XeNoCiDe730
^But arent lighter gauge strings usually more prone to fretbuzz and not being as tense and tight as medium or heavy gauge strings?...

I've tried Medium and Heavy gauge strings but I'm reluctant to buy some light gauge for fear of them causing fretbuzz...Anyone have experience with this?

My main 4 string is a SR500 btw if that matters (the older model with a 2 band EQ)...

I haven't had any problem - at least, not after I fixed the action.

If you're switching from heavy gauge to light gauge, and you had very low action with the heavy strings, your light strings will buzz. But that's only due to the lower tension, since it doesn't pull on the neck as much. Simple fix is to adjust the trussrod or the saddles (of course, which is better depends on the situation).

I think the lower tension in light gauge strings is another thing that makes them good for popping. It's easier to pull the string up.

Crazypeanutman, I think most people here do replace all their strings if they need to replace one.
- That's one of my own!
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
Thats exactly why I don't replace my strings if they break or w/e very often. I hate guitar plays for being able to buy 7 packs of strings for $10.

Haha, I can almost do that. 5 packs of six string sets for $15.....

Yeah, if you've broken a string you should replace your whole set.
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE

I just got my DR HiBeams, and I must say, VERY great string. It STILL sounds brand new after playing them in a recording session for 6 hours today. They are getting even more attention tommorrow . This is by far the best string I have played. If you have $35 and need new strings, go pick up DR's. You will not be dissapointed.

ill never buy another type of string but DR highbeams again after using them. i looove that string!
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."