My uncle just built me a telecaster, set it up and everything, im not sure if it was humming after he did, but one of the strings was muting out so i took it to a guitar shop and had it worked on and they changed the neck and settings, anyway when i use any type of gain, im getting humming.. is this regular for a tele and is there any way to fix it?
Yes, it is regular (that should answer your second question too). All guitars with standard singlecoils hum. That's why Humbuckers are called Humbuckers. Because they buck the hum.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Do teles only have one pickup? If they have 2 single coils and a pickup selector you can set the selector to pick up BOTH pickups and it reduces it quite a bit, but makes the tone a bit, dunno the word. Try it out, if teles do have more than one pickup.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Quote by JamieB
Do teles only have one pickup? If they have 2 single coils and a pickup selector you can set the selector to pick up BOTH pickups and it reduces it quite a bit, but makes the tone a bit, dunno the word. Try it out, if teles do have more than one pickup.

They do. And yes, using them both at once does reduce the hum, but the tone gets sort of, not treble-y.