Page 1 of 2
im getting a new guitar and i cant decide between a les paul or sg

i play stuff like led zeppelin, ac/dc, peter frampton, kiss, the who, motley crue, van halen and other stuff.

im looking to spend under $1000
Last edited by crazzyguitarist at Jun 22, 2006,
epi LP
Gibson SG (Heavily modded)
Fender USA Strat
Hohner 12 String-uber rare

Fender Silverface Twin

EHX Big Muff
Digitech badmonkey overdrive
Boss DS-1
Blackstar Distortion X
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Delay
Digitech Whammy
Well, most of the bands you listed use either one, or both, but I suggest trying them out first at your local guitar store. I prefer Les Pauls over SGs, but, like I said, see which one YOU like.
Proverbs 1:7:
"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline."
President of the U.F.O./ Michael Schenker fanclub. PM me to join.
sg special. hands down
Quote by Allnightmask22
It's like an internet "_____ Name Generator." Close family member + crude name for genitals + compromising sexual scenario + embarrassing or unknown sexual state (IE: Bestiality, incest, necrophilia) = Insult Gold.
yes. gay people are really gay. i dare you to sig that
Quote by Allnightmask22
It's like an internet "_____ Name Generator." Close family member + crude name for genitals + compromising sexual scenario + embarrassing or unknown sexual state (IE: Bestiality, incest, necrophilia) = Insult Gold.
im getting a les paul because my dad talked to his friend and he told him the les paul was better. also, the les paul comes with a hard case, sg comes with a gig bag.
les paul, Ace Frehley (KISS), played a les paul, Jimi Page (Led Zepplin) played a les paul, Charlie Daniels (Charlie Daniels Band) played a les paul, Slash (Guns-n-Roses, now Velvet Revolver), played a les paul, Angus Young (AC DC) played a sg, Toni Iommi (Black Sabbeth), played a sg. There equal in quailiy, its just what you prefer. In my opionion, i like the les pauls the best, but many great artist used them both. If you cant decide, just get a Stratocastor.
O WOW UR DAD HAS A FRIEND WHO KNOWS A GUY THAT PLAYED THE VIOLA ONCE THAT SAYS LP > SG???!?!?!?!? ZoMGAWD pWnTaGe HE MUST BE RIGHT!@1@1@1@1@!
Quote by Allnightmask22
so right now im thinking about the sg faded cause i like the sound but not the weight
Last edited by crazzyguitarist at Jun 22, 2006,
Fadeds suck i think, SGs below standard are sub par. Apparently LP studios are alrite though, if your looking at cut price options. Me, i picked up a second hand but mint SG for $800 with hardcase.
Les Paul, no contest.
Founder of the Cas is God Club. PM me to Join.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
it's times like this I wish I had a sharp pointy stick, or an army of flying meerkats

^ Im his favorite 2006er.

Quote by IamIronMan88
i like buttsecks...
Fadeds aren't too good. I love teh tone of LP's but if your moving round alot an SG is a better idea, since they are lighter. Also is upper fret acces important?
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
well, normally you would probally want a les paul because its good for basicly all styles of music. but the bands you listed there, most of them play sgs. so go w/ an sg.
~gtrfrk

founder of the dunlop pick fan club

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

"Let the good times roll"
no no no you guys all are just telling him which one you prefer. Okay Les Pauls are used for a bluesier sound. The kind of sound you would get say from Slash, Jimmy Page, or bands such as the Allman Brothers. If you play a lot of blues stuff, like me, the Les Paul is most definitely the way to go. However, if you play rock/hard rock type stuff, such as Sabbath or AC/DC did, you'd probably appreciate the SG more. You can still play blues licks on them, and they're lighter. Weight isn't that much of a problem for me, seeing as how I'm 6' and I've been playing an LP since I first started playing guitar haha but for you, it might be. If you're used to something thats not very...heavy, you may wanna go with the SG, becuase it feels better. I say go to your local Gibson or Epiphone dealer and play both of them for about ten minutes, and see which one feels better. Thats what I would do. Good luck, and hope you enjoy which ever one you get. If you get a guitar you like playing, the playing part will be much much more fun, and you'll become a better guitarist, becuase you'll play more. I hope this post actually helps haha. \m/
Quote by taper_fra_nord
you're into girls ramming gibson headstocks into their vaginas as well??? I thought i was the only one!!

HAHA!! ^^^
Quote by crazzyguitarist
yes upper fret access is important

Wewll then an SG, i can have a hard time on my LP reaching frets above 12 (above sixteen on low e its almost impossible) but SGs have awesome upper fret acces.

For the best SG model? Standard. Never buy a Special.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Haha, les paul is just as good for hard rock/metal as the SG, its just about which side of the spectrum YOU prefer.

If you're going for a SG, i'd suggest a gibson special faded SG. If les paul, you might want to look into the epiphone les paul elitists. They have american made hardware, and are indentical to any "real" gibson, except for the headstock saying epiphone. They cost around a grand.

Good luck
Quote by crazzyguitarist
im thinking of the gibson les paul special with humbuckers or gibson faded sg special

you must be loaded, i can barely afford a elitist lp custom
id have to say this has been done 1,oo0,o00 times before there guitars are pitted against each other too often
Don't get the faded SG or the LP Special either save up for a SG Standard or at least an LP Studio. If you can't save that much take a look at the Epiphone Elitist they are better than both the Special and Faded.
Member #15 of the I Love Hayley Williams Club PM Gibson_SG_uzr55 to Join

EMO DEFENDER #10

i love you dude! (in a non-gay way)
Ok...here's my .02.

The Gibson LP Specials are garbage. Avoid them. Actually, jsut stay the hell away from any Gibson LP under the Studio. Anything else is pretty crappy.Particularly the LP Specials.

As for the Faded SG, I don't like them. They don't sound like an $800 guitar. I tried a Washburn WI64 (about $300) and It felt like a much, much better guitar. And it was just over a third of the price. The Faded SG is way overpriced for what it is. In my opinion, it's a low-mid range guitar with an expensive name decaled on it's headstock.

Now, for my recommendations.

-Epiphone Elitist SG. They're discontinued, but you can still find them. They go for about $580 or so and are every bit as good as a Gibson SG Standard.

-Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Custom. Again, just as god as a Gibson, but much less. This would be at the high end of your $1000 budget. They go for about $1050, but you can haggle them down to about $950 or so quite easily.

Those are what I recommend for your price range. They're both excellent guitars, but which one is better will come down to YOUR preference. Try them out. Get a feel for each of them. Then, pick the one you prefer.

Also, to Arlabester, Gibson LP Specials go for ~$650. The Elitist Epi's are of MUCH better quality.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Go to the store and try them both out. I would go with a LP.
A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
They're pretty much the same thing. I'd go with the Les Paul because it's prettier.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Quote by MANATEEN
gibson sg special, not the faded.

They're the same overly mediocre guitar. The Gibson SG Faded Special is nearly identicle to the Gibson SG Special. The finish is just different. They're the same thing. And they're both crap for the price.

Basically, the rule for Gibsons is: If buying an SG, get at least the Standard. If buying a LP, get at least the Studio.

Anything under those two is pretty mediocre and no where near worth the price you pay.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
i had a Les Paul Deluxe that i bought back in 1989, i got it used for $600 (usd). I liked it. HUGE sustain.

all of my favorite bands back then, though used SGs. ie Rest In Pieces, Soul Side... but other's used LPs... Doughboys, absolution etc. etc

i guess what i'm trying to say is, you'll probably be more than happy if you search around. find something used. i think that's the best kind of equipment... except for strings and electronics like tubes and potentiometers and capacitors

damn, i'm even gonna buy my pickup used. and i definitely need a new one too, because my bridge pickup needs an f-spaced double-coil, and my neck pickup is a single coil. not like there's anything wrong with single coils. they just wont gut it for the tone i want.

so i'm either gonna use my SD Hotrail, or drill the hole out bigger.

anyway, good luck and go used
Quote by crazzyguitarist
im getting a new guitar and i cant decide between a les paul or sg

i play stuff like led zeppelin, ac/dc, peter frampton, kiss, the who, motley crue, van halen and other stuff.

im looking to spend under $1000

I'd definitely say an SG. You could find a nice Standard SG for around a $1,000 depending on the year. eBay would be your best place to start.

http://cgi.ebay.com/USA-GIBSON-SG-STANDARD-EXCELLENT-CONDITION-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ7424071504QQihZ016QQcategoryZ47073QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Great deal right there .
My gear:
'96 Ibanez S540FMTT
'91 Standard Gibson SG [w/ Bare Knuckle Warpigs]
Peavey Triple XXX 112
Page 1 of 2