is it difficult to paint a guitar? i mean im not an expert with painting or drawing or whatever and i cant find the guitar i want(schecter S-1) in that ivory white color, so i was thinking i might be better off just buying it as is and painting it afterwards..any tips?
its not difficult to paint a guitar, but its difficult to do a good job.
i repainted a telecaster 3 colors and the actual paint job turned out great but when i sprayed on a clear coat it actually ruined the paint in spots and made it ripple up some. i sanded down those areas and now my guitar just looks worn in spots. can't really say what went wrong. only 1 of the 3 colors ended up rippling and it was the first of the 3 colors that i laid down on the guitar, so i didn't apply the clear coat too quickly.
check guitar customizing forum for better advice.,
thats a great color on that tele... i like the stripes too.. are those made from tape or actually paint on the guitar... cause if they were paint then that would be kewler...
those stripes are actually paint. i covered that area with painters tape and sprayed the whole guitar orange, then covered over the borderline area of the orange with tape and made 3 thin stripes down where i wanted the white and sprayed the area brown, then removed the tape where i wanted the white, covered the brown and sprayed the white coat on. that picture doesn't show the imperfections that the clear coat created, but they are there.
Quote by selloutpunx
those stripes are actually paint. i covered that area with painters tape and sprayed the whole guitar orange, then covered over the borderline area of the orange with tape and made 3 thin stripes down where i wanted the white and sprayed the area brown, then removed the tape where i wanted the white, covered the brown and sprayed the white coat on. that picture doesn't show the imperfections that the clear coat created, but they are there.

Clear coat is more difficult to apply than the base coat. The temperature has to be right for the hardener you selected and it has to be absolutely dust free and applied perfectly even. You can sand the clear coat a bit to remove the imperfections, then apply rubbing compound and polish to remove the sand scratches.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
i tackled the clear coat under the impression that it would be a lot easier to apply than the actual paint itself. that was probably my biggest problem. this was also all done in a bathroom with no ventilation which i do not recommend to anyone.
Quote by selloutpunx
i tackled the clear coat under the impression that it would be a lot easier to apply than the actual paint itself. that was probably my biggest problem. this was also all done in a bathroom with no ventilation which i do not recommend to anyone.

Yeah, the stuff's basically like glue - tacky and thick. With a base coat, if you finger print you can spray over it a bit until it solutes and flattens out. With a clear coat, you touch it and your flocked.

Pick up some rubbing compound and some polish and buff out those sanding scars though. That's what they're there for
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer