Hey guys. I am thinking of buying a 1972 Martin D-18S. Does anybody know much about these models? And what does the "S" mean in the model? It is in good condition as I see from pictures, and I'm going to play it soon and make sure it soudns alright. The company is asking $1299. Anything anybody can tell me about these guitars and how they par up with todays Martins?
Its how you look and how you feel
well i believe the D18 has a solid spruce top and solid mahogany back and sides. so that kinda tells you what the tone will be like. i'm not 100% certain about this, but i believe the S in the model number indicates that it has a slotted headstock. if it is in good condition... $1300 would definintely be a good deal on this guitar. and yes older martins are up to par with the newer ones.
Now I know what slotted headstock looks like. (By the way I looked it up and you're right I beleive it does mean slotted headstock)

But what's the difference between a slotted headstock and a regular headstock? (Besides how they look)
how it fits into to body of the guitar.

But beware, you wont get the warranty from buying used and you have no idea of what kind of work was done to it, the fixers are VERY good at covering it up , but id still go for it.
Does $1300 sound reasonable for this guitar? Assuming it plays well and all? And do you think it will diminish in price in time or go up?

Also, how hard is it to re-string a slotted headstock?
Slotted are th clasical style right? Because if they are, its pretty hard for me, but I got clumsy hands.

Older Martins are up to par if not over with the newer ones. I've played various Martins from as far back as the late 40s, and the older they were, the better they sounded to me. Keep in mind that people around here cherish their Martins more than their soul, so they were almost in mint condition. You canoot really go wrong with Martin, they are handmade in the U.S.A. and have been that way since 1850, and some of the most famous people play them (John 5, Willie Nelson,Johnny Cash,Eric Clapton,and Steve Miller.). Something must be good. I haven't played a D-18S, but I have played a D-18, if the only difference is the headstock, then go for it. i have played a few of the classical style ones, and they felt just as good.

Yes, I know, I'm kind of a Martin troll, but those things rock, they just feel so good.

EDIT: The value really won't diminish unless the guitar has been damaged and/or had several repairs made. The price they are asking for an older Martin is actually almost a steal alone. If it plays good, it is most definately a steal. Go for it.
I'M IN THE FIGHT TO CURE CYSTIC FIBROSIS...MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

Quote by JustRooster
I'm a straight man, but I'd put that surfcaster right in my mouth.

Quote by JD2k9
Well, life is like a penis.
Women make it hard.
Also, it's short but seems long when it gets hard.
Last edited by Just_a_picker at Jun 22, 2006,
The guitar looks in great shape. If it plays as well as it looks, it's definitely worth $1300. Another thing about this guitar that no one's mentioned...it has 12 frets to the body as opposed to 14, and a somewhat wider neck more suitable for fingerstyle, although it will strum just fine.