Im having trouble deciding and understanding the hole tube amp and hybrid system or whatever (SS?) I know Vox makes something like that, but is the amp going to give me a true warm tube amp tone? If not what are my other choices...Ik they also make a tube amp thats like...599...I think thats a little to expensive unless i can find it for cheap on ebay or something.

Im going to be running a big muff, and a boss SD-1 overdrive throug the amp.(Good Combo?)
MY gear:
Ibanez Jetking II
Ibanez Acustic
Kustom lead III 2x12
Big muff Pi
Dunlop Original Crybaby
tube means it uses tubes to shape the preamp sound and amplify it

ss (solid state) uses transistors instead of tubes, and they react differently to your playing

hybrid is usually a tube preamp and ss power amp section but in the case of a valvetronix (vox) it has a solid state preamp and a tube power section

600 bucks i would scour ebay.
Quote by boardsofcanada
tube means it uses tubes to shape the preamp sound and amplify it

ss (solid state) uses transistors instead of tubes, and they react differently to your playing

hybrid is usually a tube preamp and ss power amp section but in the case of a valvetronix (vox) it has a solid state preamp and a tube power section

600 bucks i would scour ebay.

i thought the tube was still in the preamp and with an SS power amp section?

I'm prolly wrong
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
I get pretty good tones from my Vox hybrid. I use it as a bedroom amp so the volume is low, once you turn it up the crap stock speaker wrecks things.

If you're spending $5-600 I'd look at a used valve amp like a Peavey 5150, Carvin mts 3212, Laney lc50.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
hybrids can have either a 'tube' preamp, or a 'tube' power section, not both.

a vox valvetronix hybrid has a ss preamp and a 'tube' power section, using a preamp tube for flavor in the power section.

a valvetronix has really good cleans, and it really excells on the first half of its presets, but it does a pretty crappy recto for example.

perfectly fine if you arent looking for a recto sound, which i wasnt.

myself, im looking at saving up for a YCV20, ~500-600, maybe less if i ebay it.
you could look at the hughes and kettner 20watt tube combo. it's pretty damn sweet and a little over 600 new
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
Recommended threads
Imperanon?
Mekho
Last post:
by Vittu0666
kids