I'm deciding on whether i should get a head or a combo. is there a difference i mean i could get a combo and buy a cab for extension or just get a head what are some pros and cons. I'm thinking of getting something that's all tube maybe like a peavey triple XXX but i don't even know what good tube amps are for my style. i play post hardcore and i don't want to spend over 1000 dollars. thanks
I always thought combos were easier to lug around...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I prefer halfstacks. You have the choice of 212 or 412 cabs with it too. If your amp and speakers are all in one cab, it is less trips moving it to places, but it is just heavy as hell. I also like that the stack projects better when you go to play live.
Consider a head weighs somewhere around 40lbs and the cabinet another 50. A 2x12 combo will weigh around 80lbs. Moving the head and cab are a bit easier.

If you gig the venue might have cabinets or direct feeds so you don't even need to bring your cab.

Most heads have a few extras the matching combo wouldn't.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
A head and cabinet can be difficult to move around. I have a 2x12 cab that weighs 85 lbs. It has castors so it makes it easier to move around by myself but I usually need someone else to help me get it into my car without damaging anything. However, it is a little bit easier to store a halfstack since you can put the cabinet in the trunk and the head in the back seat. With the combo you just pray it fits somewhere.

It's usually cheaper to buy a combo amp than a halfstack. I was at the mesa boogie store in hollywood and the combo amp costs only 100 more than the mark iv head. Most of the cabs there were at least $300 so it would have been cheaper to get the combo instead. However, you pretty much get to pick the types of speakers you want for a cabinet. Of course, you could get an extension cab for a combo and disable the combo's speaker if you wanted. Another thing, if you happen to drop a combo, its probably completely ruined.

About the XXX. It has good distortion, as you have probably heard. It's a little bright I think (I prefer dark). The clean channel wasn't great but did sound pretty good when tweaked properly. It's kind of a shimmery metallic clean versus a natural, warm clean you get from some fenders. It's still a solid amp. I don't know any post hardcore bands but it sounds like distortion is what you are looking for. Peavey 5150 and 6505s are also good amps.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
Quote by aznrockerdude
I always thought combos were easier to lug around...

Youve never had to lug around a JCM900 2x12 then. The combo is about 62 pounds lol.

Even though my 4x12 cabs are 104lbs a piece..and i have two...but its still easier to lug around my full stack for some reason...lol wierd.
combo (2 12) - easier to transport. why? its all in one piece, and its smaller than a 4 12 cab, thus taking up less space. sure its heavier than the head and cab as their own pieces, but a combo is more compact, and less of a hassle to use. There are some combos that sound better as combos (vox ac30), but that goes for half stacks as well. You can get a road case for a 2 12, so you can pile them up in a van and youre good to go, no damage, and you can use the road case to stack your amp on top for better sound projection whilst playing live.

half stacks - more options! usually heads have more options, furthermore you can mix and match cabs with heads, heads with cabs, speakers with cabs and heads, OPTIONS OPTION OPTIONS! half stacks usually project better. If youre into heavy tight bass end, usually closed back 4 12 cabs do it better than a combo would. I find 4 12s to have more ontrol, where as a 2 12 usually feels more airy.

in the end.. .preference, its going to be a pain in the ass to carry a 2 12 combo, or a cab and head. You usually have a **** load of time to load in and load out of venues. So its all about preference, what are you looking for? what tone are you going for?

in my opinion, 1000 is a very limited budget, especially for a cab and a head. You might be better off buying a good combo, than buying a ****ty half stack. Do your best in finding out what you like as far as sound within your budget. Dont start weighing the pros and cons about transportation, and aeshetics. In the end, im sure youll appreciate good tone, so carrying all that gear is worth everything back wretching pain youll get later on.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Quote by ark
combo (2 12) - easier to transport. why? its all in one piece, and its smaller than a 4 12 cab, thus taking up less space. sure its heavier than the head and cab as their own pieces, but a combo is more compact, and less of a hassle to use. There are some combos that sound better as combos (vox ac30), but that goes for half stacks as well. You can get a road case for a 2 12, so you can pile them up in a van and youre good to go, no damage, and you can use the road case to stack your amp on top for better sound projection whilst playing live.

half stacks - more options! usually heads have more options, furthermore you can mix and match cabs with heads, heads with cabs, speakers with cabs and heads, OPTIONS OPTION OPTIONS! half stacks usually project better. If youre into heavy tight bass end, usually closed back 4 12 cabs do it better than a combo would. I find 4 12s to have more ontrol, where as a 2 12 usually feels more airy.

That was the best thing Ive read in a long time. FINALLY someone gets it right lol.
Youve never had to lug around a JCM900 2x12 then. The combo is about 62 pounds lol

Crap I wish I wasn't a kid
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
You can pick up a peavey 5150 or XXX halfstack off ebay for around 1000
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
I only have $600 though
Besides, I'm not in a band
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
oh well you can get a Peavey 5150 combo off ebay from 500-700
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Thats exactly what I'm looking for (nice guess)
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420