i dont know if this has been mentioned yet but anyways, i want to know what is the importance of picking paterns like alternate and alternative, im really confused by it because it seems eeasier and faster for me to just go with the flow, but i got a friend whos a decent guitarist and hes getting me to watch this micheal angelo guitar lesson video and in it micheal tells u to use picking paterns and i cant seem to understand why... please sum1 give me some reason why its so important?
speed and efficiency.
Got METAL?

Quote by metacarpi
However, if we're being all grown up about this (in the pit?) walkingonspikes is dead on
Alternate and Alternative? I don't believe there is such a thing as Alternative picking. I see that phrase here constantly and I'm pretty sure it's by people who just don't know how to properly say Alternate Picking.

Otherwise, as said above, it's done to achieve economy of motion. To play quickly and efficiently.
alternative is a real style of picking, its even more rediculous then alternate
You're probably referring to economy picking. And nothing is ridiculous about alternate picking. if you strictly downpick, that's pretty ridiculous -- that comment is not directed at you, Davidson.

Can someone clarify this for me (some one who actually knows) -- and that's not directed at you, either Davidson. The only time I've ever heard the phrase alternative picking is on this forum.

Alternate picking is called alternate picking because you alternate up and down strokes.

What is alternative picking an alternative to?
ill give an example of alternate \/ = down stroke /\ = up stroke

\/ /\ \/ /\ \/ /\ \/ /\ \/ /\ \/ /\ \/ /\ \/ /\
E-------------------------------------------------------------------
B-------------------------------------------------------------------
G-------------11-12-14-12-11----12-11---------11----------
D-11-12-14---------------------14---------14-12-----14-12-
A-------------------------------------------------------------------

would it not be more efficiant and easy to go?
\/ /\ \/ \/ /\ \/ /\ \/ /\ \/ /\ /\ \/ /\ /\ \/
B-------------------------------------------------------------------
G-------------11-12-14-12-11----12-11---------11----------
D-11-12-14---------------------14---------14-12-----14-12-
A-------------------------------------------------------------------
alternative i think is the second patern (how i play) cuz u basically sweep up or down a string depending where ur goin:P, where as the first patern alternative seems stupid, why would u do and upstroke when going down a string:S
k then its economy picking i dont really know or care to much, i just wanna know if the way i play will slow me down and not let me be able to get "lightning fast" as micheal says haha
E---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B---------------------------------------------------------------------------12-15-14-12--|
G-------------------------------9-12-11-9--------11-14-12-11----12------------------|
D--------9-12-11-9------11------------------12-----------------14---------------------|
A-----10---------------12------------------14---------------------------------------------|
E-12----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

How would you pick this(everyone and anyone plz tell me)
I don't see any logical reason why the way you pick would slow you down. But I'm no speed picker, so what do I know?
Quote by davidson22
E---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B---------------------------------------------------------------------------12-15-14-12--|
G-------------------------------9-12-11-9--------11-14-12-11----12------------------|
D--------9-12-11-9------11------------------12-----------------14---------------------|
A-----10---------------12------------------14---------------------------------------------|
E-12----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

--V---V-V-^--V--^--...................

How would you pick this(everyone and anyone plz tell me)

For speed, that's how I would pick it. It fits perfectly into the picking pattern of
sweep-alternate 3 notes-sweep-alternate-..... You generally want to work it
out so that the pick makes the minimum movement for fast playing and that would
be the min.

BUT, there's not exactly ONE correct way to do it. Depends on the music.
You may want to alternate pick the whole thing. That wouldn't be wrong.