Does the type of bridge a guitar has affect the type of tone it has? I'm not talking about the quality of the bridge, I'm talking about the actual type of bridge the guitar has. I heard that Fenders sound twangy because of the way the bridge moves on it. Is this true?
Haha, no the bridge makes virtually no difference except in sustain.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
Actually i'm pretty sure it does affect tone.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
yes it does affect tone. im not sure about the fender thing at all, i think it has more to do with the pickups, but bridge type does affect tone in some ways.
Originally posted by Mad Marius
You've broken a low E string??? What style do you play, guitar raping noise core?
yeah fenders sound that way because of wood and pickups
Quote by JimmyPageSlash
nice i like how rocker clothes are cheap. im gonna be dressing completely rocker soon

TOOL ALERT
The bridge definitely effects tone and sustain. The twang of a strat comes from the bridge, the single coils, the ash or alder body, and the scale length.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Quote by Mudder
The bridge definitely effects tone and sustain. The twang of a strat comes from the bridge, the single coils, the ash or alder body, and the scale length.

or maybe...
the twang of a TELE? it comes from the tele style bridge??
Quote by mangablade
or maybe...
the twang of a TELE? it comes from the tele style bridge??

Sure. Probably not just the bridge but the body is different as well giving different vibration rates and resonance. Not to mention if your tele is semihollow.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
I'd say that the bridge comes right after pickups in terms how much it contributes to the tone, especially on non-hardtail guitars; which is why I don't own a guitar with a floyd rose; they sound bad.
Yeah, I'd argue huge difference. For instance, traditionally the Tele has a three piece bridge. Every two strings share a bridge piece. It would seem that the sustain of each string is therefore interdependent. This effect is probably increased by the tele having a pickup mounted on the same metal as the bridge.

But, my duosonic has a 3 piece bridge as well, and sounds pretty different from the duosonics I've heard with 6 piece bridges.

You don't honestly think that the only difference in sound of a tele and strat are pickups Something tells me I just opened a can of worms.
-Epiphone Riviera w/ Bigsby and Gibson 490r/498t combo
-Epiphone Es-333 Delonge Edition
-Fender Twin Reverb '65
Quote by lieutfunaki

You don't honestly think that the only difference in sound of a tele and strat are pickups Something tells me I just opened a can of worms.

Exactly, strats and teles sound hugely different unplugged, too, even with the same body wood.
Quote by lieutfunaki
Yeah, I'd argue huge difference. For instance, traditionally the Tele has a three piece bridge. Every two strings share a bridge piece. It would seem that the sustain of each string is therefore interdependent. This effect is probably increased by the tele having a pickup mounted on the same metal as the bridge.

But, my duosonic has a 3 piece bridge as well, and sounds pretty different from the duosonics I've heard with 6 piece bridges.

i completly agree, a tele is a perfect example of how bridge affects tone.
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
Quote by lieutfunaki

Teles with 6 saddles do not sound very different; I think the bridge plate and the pickup plate influence the tone more (although the saddles definately do, too).
They definitely affect tone, 'coz the release of the original Strat back in the 50's was delayed (depending on whose report you believe) by six months to a year 'coz they realised too late how much the bridge affected tone. They actually had a primitive roller bridge, but it was made of such cheap metal that Bill Carson, a country guitarist who tested and helped design Fender instruments from the days of the Strat on, said it sounded like "a damn cheap banjo". This was like, the day before they went into production, so they had to scrap all the bodies and bridges that had been pre-cut/cast and start again. Bit of a **** up then.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Quote by mr_hankey
Teles with 6 saddles do not sound very different; I think the bridge plate and the pickup plate influence the tone more (although the saddles definately do, too).

I think the type of metal also effects the tone a lot..
As stated above Kahler makes many many different combinations of metals/alloys Because they effect sustain, tone, and overall feel
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Quote by Strat_Monkey
They definitely affect tone, 'coz the release of the original Strat back in the 50's was delayed (depending on whose report you believe) by six months to a year 'coz they realised too late how much the bridge affected tone. They actually had a primitive roller bridge, but it was made of such cheap metal that Bill Carson, a country guitarist who tested and helped design Fender instruments from the days of the Strat on, said it sounded like "a damn cheap banjo". This was like, the day before they went into production, so they had to scrap all the bodies and bridges that had been pre-cut/cast and start again. Bit of a **** up then.

Sounds like someone read 'The Stratocaster chronicles'.
Quote by Striketalonx
I think the type of metal also effects the tone a lot..
As stated above Kahler makes many many different combinations of metals/alloys Because they effect sustain, tone, and overall feel

I guess this proves your statement;

http://www.glendaleguitars.com/reviews.htm

A whole company that only makes saddles and bridge plates for telecasters, in many different materials.
Quote by mr_hankey
Sounds like someone read 'The Stratocaster chronicles'.

Yep Christmas present from my mum
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.