ok, so ive been playing acoustic and recently got into the electric stuff. im not a beginer at guitar or anyting but for some reason just never ventured into electric untill a few months ago....well i got my les paul and everything but i need an amp..bad, and trying to find one has become a headache. so this is the situation. after the les paul and being a college student on a budget, i need a cheap but good amp. its not to play gigs or anything, just to play around with some friends and stuff so big wattage, isnt that important. effects are important however, i know combos come with some effects, but what if i had a pedal board with several effects on it....can i plug that into any amp?. cause right now im lookin at a marshall MG30DFX.....could one plug a pedal board with multiple stomp pedals into that???? or how does that work...??? THANK to anyone who could help me out here ; )
the MG is utter crap. check out a vox valvetronix AD50VT
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
crates make cheap amps, that have 16 effects on them and theyre pretty nice, check out the crate fxt series, and also ive heard good stuff on the vox valvetronix
Gear

Johnson strat copy
epi les paul jr
epi les paul studio
Ibanez gax 75
crate 10 watt
crate fxt 120
danelectro honeytone
marshall 8200 bichorus
behringer 400watt cab
hi there. the marshall mgs are pretty bad amps. they sound ok in the beginning, especially if you are a new electric guitar player, but after a while you will realize it sounds like crap. I have a mg15, which I bought as my first amp. My guitar playing friend told me to get that one, and since marshall was a brand I've heard of with a good reputation, I bought it. I'm never listening to him again when it comes to guitar gear hahah. Anyways, here are some I think are decent solid state combos. Btw, what kind of music do you play and what is your budget. Also, what college are you going to and what kind of les paul do you have.

vox ad30vt
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD30VT-30W-Guitar-Combo?sku=481959

roland cube 30 with effects
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-30-1x10-30W-with-COSM-and-EFX-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=480023

I am sure both of these amps can be used with pedals. You just need to hook em up with a cable in the back. take a peek at the user manual if you get a new amp.
Hope this helps.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
of course u can plug in pedals to ANY amp
a mg30dfx is a good choice i think,
i have a mg15cdr and thats good for tone and sound except it musta been dropped in pnh or something coz something sounds broken inside.
dont worry about volume, my mg15 is loud enough to keep up with a drummer (esp when i use a pedal as well, it boosts the volume) so yeah good choice
Ditch the idea of getting an MG. I got one when I was still an electric newbert, and I learned from it. Theyre terrible.

A good recommendation is one of the Roland Cubes, they have various wattages to choose from, including the Micro Cube which is an extremely handy practice amp. Definitely look into them, they also have built in effects.

Yes, you can plug multi-fx into any amp, but you will find yourself spending a bit of cash to get a good unit. Personally I am partial to the BOSS GT series. Ive used the GT3, GT6, and am currently using my rhythm guitarists GT8 until I get my baby(GT6) back.
A used GT6 runs about $200-250 on ebay, and it has every effect you will ever need. It also comes with a buttload of patches already on it, and it will take you months to fully try out every one of them

EDIT:
Quote by henza_x

i have a mg15cdr and thats good for tone and sound except it musta been dropped in pnh or something coz something sounds broken inside.
dont worry about volume, my mg15 is loud enough to keep up with a drummer (esp when i use a pedal as well, it boosts the volume) so yeah good choice

*shudders* I cant imagine anyone ever cranking that amp above a drummer. That is the exact model I bought as a newbert. Stay away from the MGs, they are a terrible choice. Especially when there are so many better amps out there for the same price.
I downloaded a .exe once, opened it, and it pretty much nailed my computer, and yes, by nailed I mean, got it's **** out and shoved it in my computers ass.
Last edited by etherealprince at Jun 23, 2006,
WARNING:

do NOT use any pedals with the vox valvetrnix or roland cube. they have their own built in effects, so effects pedals shouldn't be needed anyway. the amps are modeling amps, which means the pre-amp part is a computer pretty much, and sort of crazy signal from a distortion pedal or effect will confuse the crap out of it and it will sound like crap.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09
WARNING:

do NOT use any pedals with the vox valvetrnix or roland cube. they have their own built in effects, so effects pedals shouldn't be needed anyway. the amps are modeling amps, which means the pre-amp part is a computer pretty much, and sort of crazy signal from a distortion pedal or effect will confuse the crap out of it and it will sound like crap.

+1

Yeah I forgot to mention not to run a pedal through a modeller.
You could always get a Boss Gt and run it into a poweramp then to a Cab. Sounds pretty sweet.
I downloaded a .exe once, opened it, and it pretty much nailed my computer, and yes, by nailed I mean, got it's **** out and shoved it in my computers ass.
dang, thanks, you guys are awsome! but to answer kanamvar32 i go to new mexico state university and my family helped me get a leas paul standard 60's neck (used) for my b-day....but onequick q.....if you cant really run pedals through a modeller. when what could you run them through....a power amp??
a different amp.

and the vox has all the built in effects you'll need for just practice.

some effects like delay would be fine. maybe a little chorus or something. but something insane like flange would have the thing going
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09
a different amp.

and the vox has all the built in effects you'll need for just practice.

some effects like delay would be fine. maybe a little chorus or something. but something insane like flange would have the thing going

I wouldn't stick a distortion unit in front of a modelling amp either. Even the clean channel on the Cube doesn't seem to take some effects too well. I had a friend who played a Line6 UberMetal into a Roland Cube 30 for months. *shudder*
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
it seems like you have effects you want to use so I'd suggest something like a used fender tube amp (blues jr or hotrod deluxe) or a peavey classic 30 used. Tube amps are better than solid states and even if they are used, you won't be able to tell from the sound. These are a little more expensive than the other amps I recommended earlier but certainly worth the money. Fender cleans are so amazing NMSU sounds like a solid school and your parents give way better gifts than mine. I got socks for one of my bdays hahaha or maybe it was christmas. O well, I love em anyways, even if they still have no idea what I like. Since you do have a really nice guitar, you should really save up for a good amp. It'll sound a million times better.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
eh, I use a pedal with my valvetronix, and it sounds fine. it gets a little funky if you use it on a dirty channel, but just using the straight up clean it sounds fine.
1995 MIM Fender Strat
Breedlove AD25/SM Acoustic
Chandler Les Paul w/Duncan Alnico II-Pro & Pearly Gates
Little Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Crybaby
Vox AD50VT

Quote by CheeseMuffin909
Zakk Wylde.
He's like Elton John but with a guitar, more stylish clothes, and not gay.