i love the tone you get from a zero-fret...is it possible to install one of these into any guitar? or is there a replacement like a metal nut or something?
It is possible. you could either add abit of wood behind the nut and add a fret where the nut was or you could cut the nut lower and use the old first fret as a new zero fret.
whats a zero-fret?
Quote by Man_In_The_Box
learn some green day. they are totally brutal.
Quote by AngelGC
whats a zero-fret?

It used so the tone of the open string is similar to a freted note, among other reasons.
ive never seen that before....
what guitar brands use these?
Quote by Metalology

................../´¯/)
...............,/¯..//
............./....//
....../´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
.../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
.('( ...´(..´......,~/'...')
..\.................\/..../
...''...\.......... _.·´
....\..........(

bassmonkey16@nexopia
Quote by dave293
It used so the tone of the open string is similar to a freted note, among other reasons.

I see now. Thanx
Quote by Man_In_The_Box
learn some green day. they are totally brutal.
^ The one in that pic is a gretsch. I can't think of any more of the top of my head.

Edit: to bassmonkey16
gretsch. never heard of that too
first day outta school and im learning more than ever
Quote by Metalology

................../´¯/)
...............,/¯..//
............./....//
....../´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
.../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
.('( ...´(..´......,~/'...')
..\.................\/..../
...''...\.......... _.·´
....\..........(

bassmonkey16@nexopia
Odd, I would take an open chord over barred any day.
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
Yeah I know, the things people do to be different...
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
i think fender did/does that to some models, ... ok maybe the "zero fret" model only lol.

i distinctly remember a bud showing me the zero fret fender bass they had, that leads me to believe that at some point they did it to their guitars too.
It apparently compensates to better intonation too. It's a good idea.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
I suppose your playing action is lowered as well with a zero-fret?

Plus I think the brian may guitar has a zero fret.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by Calum_Barrow

Yep, your taking out the height from the nut.
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
hohners/steinburguers(SP?) have them too, i used to a a hohner ( you know, the headless guitar ) nad i loved the tone on it for open chords and i want that back! does anyone know how to install one or emulate the sound with say a metal nut or something?
Quote by Calum_Barrow

How?

Quote by fronkpies
Yep, your taking out the height from the nut.

That would just mean your nut isn't filed deep enough.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but lets not give it more credit than it deserves.
"The most important thing is to learn how to play the guitar before you get 50,000 dollars worth of complicated gear" -Slash

Not a member of any clubs. Don't PM me.
Quote by dave293
It is possible. you could either add abit of wood behind the nut and add a fret where the nut was or you could cut the nut lower and use the old first fret as a new zero fret.

not really....

the only way to really have it work is to take out all of the frets, fill the neck so it is basically a fretless, then re-fret with the zero fret.

btw ZERO FRETS ARE POINTLESS unless you are playing in open tuning more often than not.....
"insert witty somewhat racial, innapropriate, degrading comment here"
Quote by mnbaseball91
How?

I don't know. I think like fronkpies said, what with it taking the height out of the nut helps, but I don't know the ins and outs of it TBH.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
mnbaseball91 is right. The better intonation can be had simply by making sure the nut is filed deep enough. There is no reason that a bone nut can't have the strings sit just as low and a fret, altho it is much more difficult to make to file the nut that low because it's hard to gaudge how low is too low.

Some types of music (like Jazz) need the tone of the instrument to be the same all the way up and down the fretboard. They don't want the open strings to sound any different than the fretted strings. Zero fret makes this possible, but it makes it impossible to get that nice ring you get from an open string. The guitar will play there there are no open strings.

Some types of music (like folk) sound more interesting when you get that nice full ring from an open string. This extra ring is only possible with a "normal" nut. Also you can make that open ring more extream if the slots in the nut are not as deep. That does, however, make the guitar harder to play. If you want that open ring then you can't have a zero fret guitar.

To find out what you like best just tune your guitar down a half step and then play with a capo of the 1st fret. Do you like it better?
Not taking any online orders.
I know José Gonzalez does. Don't forget that tone is also affected by the reduced string tension.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
hmmm thanks for all the info Corduroy! yes i do like that, kinda confusing, but i could get used to it i guess....
Quote by Evan50150
not really....

the only way to really have it work is to take out all of the frets, fill the neck so it is basically a fretless, then re-fret with the zero fret.

btw ZERO FRETS ARE POINTLESS unless you are playing in open tuning more often than not.....

Not really...

you can use the first fret as the new zero fret. Its just like using a capo. And zero frets do have there uses.