Someguy is telling me that the RG100 acts like a tube amp. The more you crank it, the better it sounds. He says it was used on Cowboys from Hell and The Great Southern Trendkill. He also says Lynch used it with a OD for early dokken.

Has anyone played one? Can this be true, a SS that acts like a tube amp? Could he just not know tone? ARG!!
There are some SS amps that can kinda overdrive like a tube.

I don't know about that Randall though...
roar
Has anyone listened to pantera......Randall Solid State, much?
Ibanez SZ 520
Ibanez Rg270 dx
crate Gt200 Tube/Solid Hybrid
Soon to be- Peavey ultra 60 tube head
ClassicAxe-"Jackson doesn't make Soloists so Emo kids can come and sing about slitting their wrists.They make quality guitars."
We arnt retarded here. Thats not the point at hand.

We are talking about a SS amp being able to sound good while the sine waves are being clipped.
Of course you can crank a solid state, it will just sound horrible
You won't be around forever girl, you gotta grab life with both hands.

Gear:
USA Fender Telecaster
Tweed Fender Blues Junior
Boss DD-3
Boss RC-2
Boss BD-2
Boss GE-7
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
Handmade AB box
MXR Micro Amp Clone
Quote by Matt_M_2002

I know you can crank it, but hes saying that when this amp is cranked, the break up sounds like tube break up.
ah yes, cranking a solid state, that wonderful melodic sound reminisant of having an ice pick shoved in you ear.
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
Quote by Matt_M_2002

No, Dimebag used one, and I rather like his tone. I use one and it sounds fine cranked up. I got a Roland Blues Cube, amazing amp.
Quote by MastaBassist10
No, Dimebag used one, and I rather like his tone. I use one and it sounds fine cranked up. I got a Roland Blues Cube, amazing amp.

Dime really doesnt have great tone...Its way way to bright. And alot of his tone wasnt his amp, it was his fingers.
Quote by TheFluffy
Dime really doesnt have great tone...Its way way to bright. And alot of his tone wasnt his amp, it was his fingers.

Which was countered by his bassist. I find that if you solo out the guitar track its going to sound different than when its in the mix. He made the high ends, his bassist made the lows. Tom Morello, Angus Young, Jimmy Page, all those guys had very bright tone, but that was countered by the bass, balancing it out.
i have a rg100 g2 and it actaully does sound better the louder it is...and from what i have heard the new ones with the Valve-Dynamics sound even more like tube tone but the local shop hasnt got those in yet...but you should deffinetly try out randall there pretty decent for the money IMO
Last edited by MehM at Jul 5, 2006,
Dimebag didn't crank his heads, he ran them at half volume. He made up for the volume loss by using a lot of them.

I was interested in buying a Randall head as well, I'm going to try and find a shop around here that sells Randalls and crank one up and find out if they sound good or not.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
most dont actually overdribve the amp..its the speakers...they push the speakers more....
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Quote by El Codyo
There are some SS that will break up like a tube, B.B. King used them if I'm not mistaken.

I know for a fact that BBking used tube fenders. Which model im not sure?
Nah he used an old solid state discontinued Gibson amp. Although he didn't try to overdrive it, he needed a lot of clean headroom which was why he used solid state amps. However, when the Gibsons weren't available he'd use Fender Twins AFAIK.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700