Ok ive been playing guitar for a couple monthes and im doing pretty good. now im just having trouble with witch way to pick. Downstroking (i think its called) or alternative picking. Now i started with down stroking and i did reallywell. but my guiatr teacher showed me the alternative picking. and on some songs i can do pretty well; but its harder for just doing slower riffs. but when it comes to shreding im great on alternate picking, but not at riffs. So should i stay with downstroking on on riffs (The main riffs in like- slither-* velvet revolver* foxtrot uniform charlie kilo -* bloodhound gang* just to name a few). Or should i keep working at alternative picking?
its good to know how to alternate pick and to do it often. i usually onl use alternate picking when i need to though. its just prefernce for some stuff i guess. but for some stuff you have to alternate pick to get the speed
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Oh ok, yeah ive been using it for faster things, so i think i might stick with downstroking. I dont know, my guitar teacher does every single riff, chord, etc in alternate picking, and he tells my it helps, but i might just stick where i am. But could i have a few more opinions too?
It actually makes the sound different cause (well you get the idea, higher-lower pitch/lower-higher). the best thing to do is practice the alternate but recognise the way you play.
You can do whatever you feel the most comfortable with but you will not progress unless you learn new skills
Yeah alternate picking is a good skill to have. SO maybe you could learn both and then use whatever feels most comfortable on whatever you're playing.
"This is gunna blow my cover but I like the FedEx driver because he's a drug dealer and he doesn't even know it"-Mitch Hedberg RIP
Once I learned how to alternate pick, I started alternate picking just about everything. The only thing I use all downstrokes for now is metal riffs, but other than that I'm almost always alternate picking.
ok thanks, so what do you guys use? (some peope told me).
Quote by KGM
ok thanks, so what do you guys use? (some peope told me).
I alternate pick fast lead stuff and downpick rhythm stuff unless the riff is fast enough to require up and down picking.
Quote by edg
I use both. The music determines which one is better in a given situation and how
you want to sound.

Same here... And only upstrokes too at times.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
First, it's not called alternative picking. It's called ALTERNATE picking. I seem to be the only one here who gets annoyed that so many people mispronounce it.

Second, if you've been playing for 2 months, you're not "shredding" anything. You may be playing nonsense fast and sloppy, but thats not shredding.

Third, if you abandon alternate picking because downpicking is easier for you, you will never be "shredding" anyting, let alone be remotely fast or remotely good at playing guitar.

Downpicking has its place, but you absolutely, 100% need to become VERY proficient at alternate picking if you want to progress at guitar.

If your teacher uses alternate picking for everything, there's probably a reason, right? Afterall, he's your teacher, you're not his.

You should follow your teachers advise or stop paying him for it.
For the sound... It has a special kind of sound you can only produce by doing upstrokes, I find.

Plus... It's the secret to true great alternate picking
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
I usually use downstrokes for riffs, gives a heavier sound, and alt picking for solos.

I never tried only upstrokes, ima go try it now
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

Quote by NovemberRain273
I usually use downstrokes for riffs, gives a heavier sound, and alt picking for solos.

I never tried only upstrokes, ima go try it now

Ya im trying to do that, but with easier riffs, i think ill try alternate picking, but with harder ones ill use downstroking. But if its a solo or its just fast im going to use alternate picking. Also it depends on the song as everyone says. Thanks guys.
does this mean im the only one that economy picks riffs?

or does this mean i suck at the defintion of economy vs alternate picking? haha
Economy Picking is like using Down strokes to get to adjacent strings(while moving low to high) Alternating while on the same string, and Upstrokes to get to adjacent strings (moving high to low)

To boil It down it's about wasting as little time and movement in your picking technique.
e -------15^1-
b ----13-------
g -14----------
Oh sorry, i dont really alternate pick between strings, i economy pick i find it easier, more natural, and much more efficient. i still downstroke riffs though.
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

Alternate picking is good, but I find that when I alternate pick all the time, I'm faster, but the riffs sound the same.