Using a metronome is more accurate than your head. I would give you £100 if you could clap at 144 bpm with no reference beat.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
True, but does it really matter if you know the bpm? Sure if you're learning other people's
songs..but if you listen to them enough you can learn the correct speed andfeel.
I've never understood it either. Like for practcing alone on building up licks yea ok but like.... Alot of people say to practice with a metronome with a full band. Why?
no dude a metronome is essential to timing period wether ur learning other peooples songs or not. always pratice with a metronome. cause a guitar player who cant keep time i useless. u NEED a metronome. or something like it ,a drummer, play along to the song. any thing. timing is verey important. and the only reason someone would it was a wastes of time practicing with a metronome or keeping time is the same kinda of people who say learning theory is crap. they r lazy and its difficult for them to bring themselves to doit. think about it if it were easy and nothing to it, then it wouldnt even be an issue people would autonatically just do it. lol i dont really care what people do when they practice lol im sorry if this sounds like im ranting. but if u want to be good then practice ur timie keeping and learn theory they are essential to being a good guitar player. if u dont think u need them and ur already good enopugh just think of how much better u could be.
Last edited by mullet0023 at Jun 23, 2006,
Well for one, many times, when you cut a record professionally, you are not going to be playing with the rest of the band, you're gonna have the tracks recorded seprerately.. and guess how they make it all match up? You have to play to a metronome... that and cause most of my friends (and myself when I pick up the bass now a days) can't keep beat/time for more then 4 measures. Its not necissary really, but if your gonna practice scales, it helps to have on ticking, you might as well, it can only help (and there free online)
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
Look, you useless assholes would be surpised how bad you keep time. Time is so important thats its not even funny.
::::Soul Prospect::::
♪♫♫♫♪
well that was harsh i have damn good timing think you very much. Yea I cut a demo about a month ago , but they record the drums first and then you go over them. So is it much of a problem. I use it to practice certain licks to certain speeds but nothing else.
Heres something fun to try. Play a song either on the stereo or on your computer. Clap or tap along to the song. Mute the song while tapping. After a little while unmute the song to see if still in time. I doubt many of you would have kept perfect time.
::::Soul Prospect::::
♪♫♫♫♪
Yea for the longest time i really didn't care if i had a metronome or not, actually I didn't even know to use one untill like...a year ago...so i'd go to a free online one and mess around with it, still didn't know how to use it. Then i got one for christmas and didn't really use it, cause i didn't know how...so one day i was like..okay so...i wanna play somethin but i should prolly figure out how to use it...so i turned it to like..120bpm 16th notes and tryed to pick an exercises along with it...turned it up did it again and so on..i noticed it was ALOT easyer cause you could hear when your supposed to pick and so on..so..It only helps. You'll definately see a BIG difference in your playing and speed after a few practice sessions...Just don't get ahead of your self.
Metronome practice is about the single most important thing you can practice on your guitar. If you can't keep time perfectly with a beat or click-track then everything else you spent your time practising has been for nothing and is useless. No point learning how to assemble a big freakin' rifle if you can't even shoot straight, capiche?
ρ
Okay, i wasn't saying it isn't useful, i was just wondering.

Reverb, grow up. that's all i have to say.
There is a time when NOT to use a metronome: when you're first learning
something. Just make sure your fingers are moving to the correct notes
as relaxed as you possibly can. If you try and learn the fingering with a
metronome, you'll tend to tense up and find that there's too much pressure
to think about where your finger needs to go next.

Thereafter, a metronome is essential, I don't know how many times I've thought
I learned a song correctly, but when I tried playing to a beat, my timing and accents
were totally off.
Quote by scousertommy
Metronome practice is about the single most important thing you can practice on your guitar. If you can't keep time perfectly with a beat or click-track then everything else you spent your time practising has been for nothing and is useless. No point learning how to assemble a big freakin' rifle if you can't even shoot straight, capiche?

I agree
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
To anyone who says they have good timing without a metronome... how would you know since you're not using a metronome? If you tap your foot or count in your head, that means very little because what you're playing to is not an accurate, steady beat. In most cases, its not even close. No matter how much you'd like us to believe it is.

If you find it boring to play to a click (I personally do) play to a drum track/loop. It's more entertaining and easier to keep a groove and practice repetitive excersizes.

Just learn to do it and don't take shortcuts because you're just shorting yourself (and any band you play with).
So you can use drum loops like a metronome?

Cause... I don't have a metronome, just a drum machine on my processor.
Sure. It's the same thing, in principle. The idea is to have a constant, 100% steady beat. A metronome and a drum machine will both achieve this. A drum machine just makes it sound a lot more interesting.

In fact, I'd encourage a drum machine over a metronome because in most situations, you'll be playing to an actual drummer, not a metronome.

You can go to pcdrummer.com and download their trial software. It's not too great, but gives you the ability to use their preconfigured drum loops or create your own. You can move the tempo up or down just as you would with a metronome. There's also a basic click track with it as well. There's not a ton of options, but I've been using it lately for most of my practicing.
Quote by Happy Taco
So you can use drum loops like a metronome?

Cause... I don't have a metronome, just a drum machine on my processor.
You can use anything that keeps time.

You could use your car's turn signal!
i dunno about your turn signal BGC, i'd run down the battery (and i can't change the tempo) and i'm with everyone else up there, metronome is VERY important, i've been using one for about 6 years now and although my timing is leaps and bounds better than it was when i started ,i've done what reverb X suggested and turned on a metronome and tapped my finger along w/ it, then dropped the volume and came back a minute later, it wasn't DEAD on, i was falling just a teeny bit short, but thats the point, after 6 years i was still falling a teeny bit short i wasn't waaay off or anything but it wasn't perfect timing either. and yes a electronic drum track is good to practice to, some professional practice drum tracks would probably be good too as they were most assuredly recorded with a metronome.
You may think you have good time without using a metronome, but when it comes time to record something...it shows. A lot . And that's ****ing embarrassing. I practice everything with a metronome now.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
Quote by z4twenny
i dunno about your turn signal BGC, i'd run down the battery (and i can't change the tempo)
I'm being a little facetious, but only to show that you could use anything that keeps rhythm.

Anywho, metronome=good.
Quote by Reverb X
Look, you useless assholes would be surpised how bad you keep time. Time is so important thats its not even funny.

you'd be surprised how often most people get off time. it may sound fine when you play it, but the minute you sit down with a drummer, you'll be rushing or missing beats and all sorts of stuff. basically, a metronome forces you to clean up your technique. when you're practicing without one, you slow up for hard stuff and speed up during your favorite parts of a song. you slow down when you play quiet, speed up when you play loud. you know you do it. or at least your drummer knows. the metronome makes you really pay attention, and forces you to make things perfect that you would otherwise, even without knowing it, accept as "close enough." a metronome will do wonders for cleaning up your sound, and will really make you sound a lot more professional.